PDA

View Full Version : Dropped Calls

melvytx
02-26-2010, 01:36 PM
I ported from callvantage back in October and have been having problems with dropped calls from day 1. I emailed support & they added a few numbers that calls were dropping on to the whitelist. After that didn't work, I called support & they checked the settings on my verizon fios modem. They made a few changes & told me if problems continued to call back. I noticed the same problems & called. Again, someone checked my modem settings (although I told them they were already checked two days ago) & told me to call back if problems continued. Sure enough, they did. This time I emailed and asked if I could just have another router sent to me since I notice whenever this happens, the phone lights go out. I was asked how did I know it was the box. Sure enough, I'm not a technical person but I've been with Sunrocket & Callvantage for years and never had a problem with dropped calls. I replied telling them that nothing they did seem to work. I was told they would increase voltage to see if that solved the problem. Of course it didn't. I emailed again and was finally told they would not exchange routers and that I should find another provider. I'm waiting a few months to get a landline with Verizon Fios and unfortunately will not be putting in the time to find another VOIP provider. Has anyone experienced this problem?

VOIPoTim
02-26-2010, 01:42 PM
I emailed again and was finally told they would not exchange routers and that I should find another provider.

Do you have ticket numbers on this that I can review?

melvytx
02-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Kgf-906620

mikeb
02-26-2010, 07:23 PM
I haven't had problems with dropped calls but several times this month I have picked up the phone and had no dial tone. When this hapens both the phone 1 and 2 lights were off or sometimes the phone 1 light was off and phone 2 was on. During the outage the Internet light on the adapter is blinking. I don't understand why the adapter can't detect that the connection is lost and reconnect. I always have to power cycle the adapter. I'm still working with support on this, but it hasn't been resolved. I really miss the stable and boring CallVantage service.

VOIPoTim
02-26-2010, 07:27 PM
I haven't had problems with dropped calls but several times this month I have picked up the phone and had no dial tone. When this hapens both the phone 1 and 2 lights were off or sometimes the phone 1 light was off and phone 2 was on. During the outage the Internet light on the adapter is blinking. I don't understand why the adapter can't detect that the connections is lost and reconnect. I always have to power cycle the adapter. I'm still working with support on this, but it hasn't been resolved. I really miss the stable and boring CallVantage service.

Just keep working with support. If you haven't already talked to Tier II, just ask for them to move your ticket there.

When we see it dropping like that, it's almost always an IP address change or some router setting.

Support will get it situated for you and Tier II is authorized to do replacements if still an issue after all the standard troubleshooting.

MisterEd
02-27-2010, 07:28 AM
I ported from callvantage back in October and have been having problems with dropped calls from day 1. I emailed support & they added a few numbers that calls were dropping on to the whitelist. After that didn't work, I called support & they checked the settings on my verizon fios modem. They made a few changes & told me if problems continued to call back. I noticed the same problems & called. Again, someone checked my modem settings (although I told them they were already checked two days ago) & told me to call back if problems continued. Sure enough, they did. This time I emailed and asked if I could just have another router sent to me since I notice whenever this happens, the phone lights go out. I was asked how did I know it was the box. Sure enough, I'm not a technical person but I've been with Sunrocket & Callvantage for years and never had a problem with dropped calls. I replied telling them that nothing they did seem to work. I was told they would increase voltage to see if that solved the problem. Of course it didn't. I emailed again and was finally told they would not exchange routers and that I should find another provider. I'm waiting a few months to get a landline with Verizon Fios and unfortunately will not be putting in the time to find another VOIP provider. Has anyone experienced this problem?

I had been having a lot of problems with my Fios Actiontec router and Voipo as well. Support has been very helpful but the issue didn't go away. What I did was replace my Fios router with a "regular" router and for the last couple weeks thing have been quite stable.

Problem is, to do that router swap (especially if you also have Fios TV, which I don't) takes a lot of effort and Fios doesn't support the change. Their modem uses COAX not ETHERNET but it can be switched to ethernet at the ONT (box outside your house) which needs to be done. It's easy but it takes some dealing with Verizon to do it. If you have Fios TV it becomes much more difficult but still can be done.

Anyway, it SEEMS, at least so far, the Actiontec router is the root of the problem. I'm still reserving final decision on that for another 3-4 weeks but so far it's looking good. My 3yr old Buffalo Router with DD-WRT firmware installed seems to be working well (knock plastic). That being said, I did come off a year+ with Vonage using the Actiontec without any issue.

ctaranto
02-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Just keep working with support. If you haven't already talked to Tier II, just ask for them to move your ticket there.

When we see it dropping like that, it's almost always an IP address change or some router setting.

Support will get it situated for you and Tier II is authorized to do replacements if still an issue after all the standard troubleshooting.

I just requested ticket number BKN-745359 to be moved to Tier II. After noticing a few times that either Line 1 or Line 2 wasn't lit, I got a little curious how often they were off line. I wrote a nifty perl script that, once a minute, does a screen scrape of the PAP2T interface and grabs the connectivity status of each line. It also grabs the public IP address, SIP port, and next registration status (only if it's not connected) and puts it in a log file. If not connected, it also does a tcptraceroute to sip-east01.voipwelcome.com, logs that to a separate file, emails me at my gmail account, and creates a small file with a timestamp of the last time it ran (since it only logs when there's something it can't connect to). I set it up in cron to run every minute. I also have PingPlotter running in a Windows VM that tracks the connectivity to sip-east01.voipwelcome.com every 2.5 seconds. No issues.

Over the past 4 days, Line 1 and/or Line 2 have been out many times. Each time a line goes out, it's for 20 minutes (that's what the "Next Registration" is set to do when it can't connect). Today, I have had either line 1 or line 2 (and sometimes both) out for most of the time. I have communicated to support all my findings.

I was using a DLink DGL-4100 router, which has been known to be VoIP friendly. After reporting these issues, support suggested I switch to a router with DD-WRT. I went *to* the DGL-4100 after trying DD-WRT, but I did it anyways. It's no better, and now I have a random one-way audio (which never happened with the 4100). SPI firewall is off on both, 5060-5080 and 35000-65000 are forwarded, etc.

I know this can all be resolved, as there are plenty of people not having any issues. At this point, I think I have another bum adapter.

-Craig