PDA

View Full Version : How secure is the DECT technology?

voip123
02-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Greeting,

I am using both Panasonic/Uniden DETC 6.0 phone system with the VOIPo service. Does anyone know how secure the DECT technology is? Can neighbor listening when I am talking on the phone??

Thanks.

holmes4
02-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Average neighbor? No Problem. But it can be cracked. See http://www.h-online.com/newsticker/news/item/25C3-Serious-security-vulnerabilities-in-DECT-wireless-telephony-739493.html

voipinit
02-27-2010, 07:17 PM
You are probably OK as far as the casual snoopers, but DECT as previously mentioned is crackable. A more secure option would be a digital phone with DSS. My cordless phone digitally frequency hops making the transmission between the base and the handset very secure. Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned, just be aware.

voip123
02-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Thank you guys.

The reason I have concern is this, I am going to talk banks or mortgage company using the voipo service, they will ask for SSN# DOB, etc..

Does anyone use voipo to do that?

Thanks.

ctaranto
02-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Unless I was in a very dense area, I wouldn't worry about it. Living in a suburb, in a development with only single family houses, I have no worries about people snooping on my phone calls.

-Craig

holmes4
02-28-2010, 06:38 PM
I wouldn't worry about it at all. While DECT is crackable, it is beyond the means of all but the most dedicated individual. The risk of your bank or mortgage company leaking the data is higher, in my opinion.

You didn't ask about the security of the VoIP call... But that is encrypted, and unless you are using an unprotected wireless network, the chance of that being intercepted and cracked is too low to be concerned about.

usa2k
02-28-2010, 08:42 PM
You didn't ask about the security of the VoIP call... But that is encrypted, and unless you are using an unprotected wireless network, the chance of that being intercepted and cracked is too low to be concerned about.I do not believe that VoIP calls are encrypted.

They use a compression codec, but I've only heard of Ooma employing encryption.
PSTN calls, and cell phone calls are likely no more secure either.

Not sure what they use on TV shows when they call from a "secure phone".

holmes4
03-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Interesting - I had thought it was always encrypted, but now that I think of it, I have seen reports about Skype using encryption specifically.

Cellphone calls are encrypted - at least GSM calls are.

voip123
03-04-2010, 06:41 PM
I do not believe that VoIP calls are encrypted.

They use a compression codec, but I've only heard of Ooma employing encryption.
PSTN calls, and cell phone calls are likely no more secure either.

Not sure what they use on TV shows when they call from a "secure phone".

Agreed with usa2k totally!!!

VoIP calls are not encrypted. That is also another reason I asked the question.

MisterEd
03-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Also, check above your house for black helicopters that use silent engines. :)

My father would never buy anything online for fear of security but he had no problem giving his credit card to some 17yr old pimply kid at his local gas station who would run off into the back office to run his card (In NJ, by law, there is no self-service gas).

MisterEd
03-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Not sure what they use on TV shows when they call from a "secure phone". The bad guys always use throw-away pre-loaded cell phones. :)