PDA

View Full Version : Referring my parents to VOIPo

jlachowin
03-04-2010, 09:03 AM
I currently have a VOIPo account, and am very satisfied with the services for the price you pay a month. My mom has Uverse phone service, unlimited. When she first got it, it was $30, now it went to $33.

They also increased the price for her TV package by $5. The Uverse internet is still $30, but her bill is reaching $180/month, that is ridiculous. I want to see if she would be willing to try out VOIPo. Below are my questions, if anyone could answer these, I would appreciate it!

Anyone else with Uverse internet with VOIPo?
Should I sign her up as a new VOIPo customer without porting her current number first to make sure it is a good service for her?
Would we be able to port her Uverse # AFTER she is a current VOIPo customer, after her first month?
Would I be able to request she have a Grandstream ATA? I initially had a RT31P2 ATA and it gave me a lot of issues, I would like her to have the same Grandstream ATA I have.

Carry on!

Justin

tylerscell1
03-04-2010, 09:40 AM
1. No I Have Not
2. Yes Def.
3. I Believe So
4. They Would Probably Provide You A Linksys PAP2T But Im Not Sure That Is A Question For The VoIPo Staff

holmes4
03-04-2010, 09:52 AM
When I signed up for Voipo a month or so ago, I asked and was told that they are currently sending RTP312s, and that's what I got.

JimDog
03-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Anyone else with Uverse internet with VOIPo?Yep. At least myself, Russell and VOIPoBrandon. (See this thread.)
Should I sign her up as a new VOIPo customer without porting her current number first to make sure it is a good service for her?Absolutely. Sign up first with a temporary number to be sure the service is reliable and works the way she wants it.
Would we be able to port her Uverse # AFTER she is a current VOIPo customer, after her first month? Yes, you can port the U-verse number over at any time for no charge by contacting support.
Would I be able to request she have a Grandstream ATA? I initially had a RT31P2 ATA and it gave me a lot of issues, I would like her to have the same Grandstream ATA I have.VOIPo is no longer offering Grandstream adapters due to issues they had with them in the past. They are only providing RT31P2s and PAP2s depending on what is available when you order.

tylerscell1
03-04-2010, 10:33 AM
THe Best Thing Is There Is A 30 Day Money Back Guarantee!

fcbaia
03-04-2010, 11:30 AM
1. Yes. No issues. The Uverse 2Wire router needs a couple of settings changed. Voipo tech had specifics on what. Nothing needed to be done on the AT&T side.
2. Sure.
3. ---
4. I am using the Linksys out of the box w/o issues. I have it sitting a couple switches downstream from the 2Wire.

Fred

jlachowin
03-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Good to hear! Only correction to JimDog's response, I just got a replacement ATA yesterday, it was a Grandstream HT502, so they're still sending them out. It works really well.

VOIPoTim
03-04-2010, 11:35 AM
1) Tons of Uverse users. Sometimes a little tweaking needed on the router (which our guys can help with), but then it should be smooth sailing.

2) Probably a good idea if they are not tech savvy. 99% of the time it'll be fine, but if she's in that 1% if could be frustrating.

3) Yeah, no issues with that. Order a new number and then ask to change it and port when ready.

4) We ship a variety of devices and don't generally guarantee a specific model since it depends on what we have in stock at the time.

In early 2009 we had major issues with Grandstream devices. A few weeks ago we started shipping some with the NEW Grandstream firmware and have had 0 issues reported. It appears most of the issues were resolved. Last time we used them, it was a relatively new device and very buggy. This time they seem better than Linksys so far.

So even though we don't guarantee specific devices, what I can say is that we are sending out Grandstreams right now so any orders in the next few days would definitely get them.

jlachowin
03-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Awesome, thanks Tim!

jlachowin
03-04-2010, 01:45 PM
1 more question. My parents have a mix of 2 hard wired phones to uverse, as well as an AT&T wireless base with 2 additional cordless phones. Anyway to wire voipo up to allow the hard wired phones as well as the cordless base station? Or I could just order 2 more cordless handsets.

tylerscell1
03-04-2010, 02:10 PM
I would answer but I dont understand your question.

jlachowin
03-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Let me try again. My parents currently have the Uverse phone service. They have 2 analog phones that are hard wired, 1 in the kitchen on the wall, and 1 in the garage. They also have a AT&T cordless phone system in the living room that connects to the wall jack, with 2 additional cordless phone handsets. Will they be without the 2 hard wired phones?

usa2k
03-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Wall jacks normally have 4 wires, but use two.
The Uverse wiring could be made separate with a two port jack,
where one set goes to one jack and the other unused set goes to the other.
That way, the unused pair could tie the ATA to the other phones.

THE DANGER is that the ATA won't last long (or work) if you plug it into the
AT&T Uverse Line which I expect has a dial tone. USE THE BETTER WAY!

THE BETTER WAY:
The Uverse line need only go to your DSL modem. If you can completely isolate it from the house phone wiring, then the wall jacks should not have a dial tone. Then you should be able to plug the ATA and other phones into the wall jacks to complete their connections.

By only using VOIPo, and keeping the DSL separate from the house wiring, you won't need any DSL filters either.

holmes4
03-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Sure. The way I have mine set up is that the Voipo adapter connects to my house's phone wiring. I first disconnected the feed from the telco outside. Now all the phones in my house, including the cordless base station, are on Voipo.

voipinit
03-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Glad to hear the 502's are behaving. I had to retire my PAP2T about 10 mos. ago and go back to the 502 due to service issues. One of the neat things of the 502 is the ability to change to an alternate server if no response is received from the primary. I noticed that sometime today my ATA switched my line 1 from the Chicago server to Central. Ever since they fixed the firmware it's been a very stable device.

ptrowski
03-05-2010, 09:46 AM
1) Tons of Uverse users. Sometimes a little tweaking needed on the router (which our guys can help with), but then it should be smooth sailing.

2) Probably a good idea if they are not tech savvy. 99% of the time it'll be fine, but if she's in that 1% if could be frustrating.

3) Yeah, no issues with that. Order a new number and then ask to change it and port when ready.

4) We ship a variety of devices and don't generally guarantee a specific model since it depends on what we have in stock at the time.

In early 2009 we had major issues with Grandstream devices. A few weeks ago we started shipping some with the NEW Grandstream firmware and have had 0 issues reported. It appears most of the issues were resolved. Last time we used them, it was a relatively new device and very buggy. This time they seem better than Linksys so far.

So even though we don't guarantee specific devices, what I can say is that we are sending out Grandstreams right now so any orders in the next few days would definitely get them.

Nice! Any possibility we could swap out the PAP2 for the GS? It was such a great ATA.

jlachowin
03-05-2010, 01:06 PM
I'm by no means wanting to start a swap PAP2 for a GS thread. I'm guessing if your PAP2 is working well with no issue, they won't swap it. Just my guess though.

ptrowski
03-05-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm by no means wanting to start a swap PAP2 for a GS thread. I'm guessing if your PAP2 is working well with no issue, they won't swap it. Just my guess though.

Oh I know, I am just glad to see that they are offering them again. The GS's are a great ATA and I feel superior to the PAP2.

abward
03-05-2010, 04:19 PM
...It appears most of the issues were resolved...

Tim,

So what issues did NOT get resolved by the new firmware?

My sister just received one of these, and I will be hooking it up tomorrow. Since this has a router in it, I am going to put it in front of her wireless router.