PDA

View Full Version : porting number after disconnecting it

patoka
03-09-2010, 03:11 PM
My aunt and uncle moved and despite multiple promises from Comcast that they would port the AT+T number my aunt and uncle had for over 40 years they did not give them their old number.

Can a disconnected number be requested / ported?

VOIPoTim
03-09-2010, 03:15 PM
My aunt and uncle moved and despite multiple promises from Comcast that they would port the AT+T number my aunt and uncle had for over 40 years they did not give them their old number.

Can a disconnected number be requested / ported?

No, it has to be active. They may be able to get it reactivated temporarily.

Cable VoIP is different in that they don't port unless you live in the same ratecenter where traditional VoIP your location doesn't matter.

patoka
03-09-2010, 09:02 PM
Cable VoIP is different in that they don't port unless you live in the same ratecenter where traditional VoIP your location doesn't matter.

Is that a federal or state law?

usa2k
03-10-2010, 04:20 AM
Is that a federal or state law?
It has to do mostly with their Rate Centers and E911. VoIP has nomadic E911. Cable and the old ATT Call Vantage always routed E911 through their Rate Center switch as I understand it. That meant that they could not use aother Rate Center they have presence in, if the number did not belong to that Rate Center.

fisamo
03-12-2010, 05:51 AM
FWIW, ATTCV's E911 was also (at least somewhat) nomadic. Their setup didn't have a nationwide footprint, though.