PDA

View Full Version : Grandstream and a Westell DSL modem

abward
03-12-2010, 07:27 AM
I tried unsuccessfully last Saturday to hook up a GS HT502 at my sister's house. She has 1.5Mb DSL from AT&T (switching her to 7Mb Earthlink cable soon).

The Westell (I think 6100) DSL modem has a router and firewall built-in. Eventually I figured out that I needed to set the GS to be in bridge mode, to turn it's DHCP server off, and placed it behind the Westell, and in front of her wireless router (which has DHCP turned off). The GS was still not registering. I tried live support for VOIPo and the dude told me to try and pass through traffic on the Westell to the GS. I found an IP Passthrough setting in the Westell to do this and the GS registered okay.

So I said goodbye to the support dude. Silly me, I wanted to get rid of the tangled mess of the power cords of the GS and Westell, so I unplugged them. You guessed it: when I plugged them back in, I could not get the GS to register again.

I tried all kinds of stuff, including resetting devices and turning off DHCP and the firewall in the Westell, but could not figure out the magic combination again. By this time, the support dude at VOIPo had gone home.

So, please, how should I hook this thing up?

1. Westell (Bridged Ethernet mode, with firewall off, DHCP off) ---> GS (normal mode, DHCP on, Firewall on, enter PPPoE userid/password here) ---> Wireless router (DHCP off) ????
2. Westell (Bridged Ethernet mode, with firewall off, DHCP off) ---> GS (Bridged mode) ---> Wireless router (Normal mode, DHCP on, enter PPPoE userid/password here) ????
3. Westell (Normal mode, with firewall on, DHCP on, IP Passthrough for the GS, enter PPPoE userid/password here) ---> GS (Bridged mode) ---> Wireless router (DHCP off) ???? This is what I tried already

Frankly, I am currently thinking there is something wrong with this GS. I asked for a PAP2-NT but did not get one.

Tomorrow is Saturday and I will try all this again....Thanks

abward
03-12-2010, 07:48 AM
BTW, I am trying to put the GS in front of the router because the router has no QOS. If I wanted to put it behind the router, I assume I would just put the GS into Bridged mode and plug it into a LAN port on the router, and open up the ports on the router?

usa2k
03-12-2010, 09:24 AM
BTW, I am trying to put the GS in front of the router because the router has no QOS. If I wanted to put it behind the router, I assume I would just put the GS into Bridged mode and plug it into a LAN port on the router, and open up the ports on the router?

If it was simply hanging off the last router I would expect it to be using DHCP and no special requirements. The only unknown in that scenario is if any firewall/filtering is happening before it even though things are theoretically turned off.

Not sure the best config. You should post your ticket # and maybe you will get a higher support tier.

The "resetting devices" is hopefully not factory reset!

VOIPoTim
03-12-2010, 09:34 AM
You should be able to just hook it up behind the router with no issues. I'd recommend just setting a static IP and forwarding ports 5000-65000. Disable SIP ALG.

The reason I recommend it is the PPoE. Not a huge deal, but seems like it would just be alot less complicated to connect to route and forward ports.

ctaranto
03-12-2010, 09:39 AM
You should be able to just hook it up behind the router with no issues. I'd recommend just setting a static IP and forwarding ports 5000-65000. Disable SIP ALG.

The reason I recommend it is the PPoE. Not a huge deal, but seems like it would just be alot less complicated to connect to route and forward ports.

Not meaning to hi-jack the thread topic, but...

We've been told in the past to forward 35000-65000 (UDP). Is the new recommendation to forward 5000-65000? Or did you miss the 3 key?

Thanks,

-Craig

VOIPoTim
03-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Not meaning to hi-jack the thread topic, but...

We've been told in the past to forward 35000-65000 (UDP). Is the new recommendation to forward 5000-65000? Or did you miss the 3 key?

Thanks,

-Craig

You're right that in the past we've told people to forward 5060-5080 and 35000-65000. We are expanding this to 5000-65000 and will be updating all documentation soon.

We've had at least a dozen users with chronic issues that all went away when expanding to this range and will be using it as standard going forward.

One of our primary CLEC partners (Bandwidth.com) recommends this range since it's what their media gateways use for audio.

ctaranto
03-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks, Tim!

Should 5060-5080 be TCP only, or both TCP and UDP?

-Craig

VOIPoTim
03-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks, Tim!

Should 5060-5080 be TCP only, or both TCP and UDP?

-Craig

5000-65000 UDP is our new standard.

abward
03-12-2010, 10:15 AM

So, if I have this right:

Westell (normal mode, DHCP on, firewall on, forward UDP ports 5000-65000) --> wireless router (DHCP off, forward UDP ports 5000-65000, disable firewall (disables SPI)) --> GS (Bridged mode, static IP) ???

VOIPoTim
03-12-2010, 10:17 AM
So, if I have this right:

Westell (normal mode, DHCP on, firewall on, forward UDP ports 5000-65000) --> wireless router (DHCP off, forward UDP ports 5000-65000, disable firewall (disables SPI)) --> GS (Bridged mode, static IP) ???

Right. You shouldn't need to do bridged modem on the GS, but it won't hurt.

That basically disables the GS router and bridges whatever you have connected to it with your other router. So it won't matter except for things connected to the Grandstream.

abward
03-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks Tim. I will try this tomorrow and report back.

BTW, if you are shipping out Grandstreams now, can you please update the help pages, which are currently written for the PAP2?

burris
03-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Be sure you are coming out of the wan port on the gs when you are going into the lan port on your router if you're going bridged.
I'm sure you know this, but just a reminder..

ctaranto
03-12-2010, 11:13 AM
5000-65000 UDP is our new standard.

And all this time I thought 5060-5080 were TCP. :)

I learned something today. I can now go home.

-Craig

jlachowin
03-12-2010, 02:13 PM
For what it is worth here is my setup.

AT&T Elite DSL ---> Westell DSL modem ---> Asus WL-520GU router ---> Grandstream HT502 ATA

All I have is a static IP assigned to the ATA, no ports forwarded, and running the latest Tomato firmware, no issues. I have my router doing the PPPoE, not the modem.

jlachowin
03-12-2010, 02:24 PM
What about the UDP/TCP ports, do we still need to forward those?

5060-5080 TCP/UDP
5000-65000 UDP

Or just the 5000-65000 range?

VOIPoTim
03-12-2010, 02:42 PM
What about the UDP/TCP ports, do we still need to forward those?

5060-5080 TCP/UDP
5000-65000 UDP

Or just the 5000-65000 range?

That entire range UDP will cover it.

voipinit
03-12-2010, 08:47 PM
I would set the Westell modem in Bridged Ethernet mode and let the GS be the router with DHCP on. Leaving the Westell in it's default mode (router on) and having the GS route as well is going lead to unreliable results, 2 devices routing on the same segment is not what you want. Either the Westell or the GS need to be set as a bridge and in my opinion you are far better off letting the GS (or your router if you have one) do the routing and setting the Westell as the bridge (bridged ethernet). I have my GS behind my router, and it works fine, but if you are having trouble I would put the GS in front of your router and get that working first.

MisterEd
03-13-2010, 09:31 AM
You're right that in the past we've told people to forward 5060-5080 and 35000-65000. We are expanding this to 5000-65000 and will be updating all documentation soon.

We've had at least a dozen users with chronic issues that all went away when expanding to this range and will be using it as standard going forward.

One of our primary CLEC partners (Bandwidth.com) recommends this range since it's what their media gateways use for audio.

Yep, I can vouch for that change. Seems to have made a major difference for me. I haven't had a "no audio" problem since I made the change a month or so ago <knock wood> on Tim's advice.

Damn, I probably just jinxed myself. :)

abward
03-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Well, this did not work. I tried putting it behind the router, and opening up the ports, and it will not register.

And, no one is home at the online support.

I currently have it like this:

Westell (Bridged mode, so it acts like a modem only) --> USR5461 router (DHCP on, PPPoE, firewall on, ports forwarded) --> GS (static ip, DHCP off)

Edit: Also just tried:

Westell (Bridged mode, so it acts like a modem only) --> GS (DHCP on, PPPoE) --> USR5461 router (DHCP off, firewall on)

This seems like this would be an ideal config, since I should not have to worry about port forwarding or QOS, but the GS is still not registering.

Edit 2: I opened a ticket and Cody got me going. He found that the adapter had lost its provisioning, so it did not know to connect to the VOIPo servers. He went into admin mode and entered the IP for the VOIPo servers and off it went. Thanks Cody! So, I left the adapter between the Westell and the router.