PDA

View Full Version : Outgoing callerid name

kdonnel
03-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Since my switch to Voipo several people have complained that the callerid shows Unknown for the name but does include the number.

I don't see anywhere in the panel to set the name part of the out going callerid.

Is there a way?

VOIPoTim
03-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Outgoing Caller ID name is not officially offered.

It may be available in some areas, but not in all which is why we don't advertise it.

It's not something a VoIP provider can send out/transmit. A Caller ID name has to be registered in the central databases by the carrier partner in your area that we get phone numbers from. Some provide this and some don't depending on the carrier/area.

To see if the carrier partner supports it, just contact support and they can check. If they do, we can have them update the name.

kdonnel
03-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Ok.

So in my case the number was ported from AT&T. Is that who I would contact?

Thanks for the quick response.

MisterEd
03-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Ok.

So in my case the number was ported from AT&T. Is that who I would contact?

Thanks for the quick response.

He want you to contact VOIPO SUPPORT. They will check.

tylerscell1
03-13-2010, 09:31 AM
support@voipo.com email them :)

kdonnel
03-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Wow I'm dense. I will open a support ticket.

Brian
03-15-2010, 08:17 PM
FYI, I put in a ticket for my outbound name to be corrected, and was told "The caller ID name field is populated at the upstream provider. It may be a temporary issue with the provider of the number that you are calling not doing a query to the LIDB properly." I replied and asked if the tech could force and update, and he told me he would put in a ticket w/the upstream provider, but it probably wouldn't work. That was a few hours ago, and things are looking good now. Just not sure if that's the message you want the support folks to give, although it worked out fine for me in the end.

ellinj
03-16-2010, 05:45 AM
I am having a similar issue and was basically told by support that there is nothing they can do.

I have a number that was ported from callvantage where cname was working properly. For a while cname was working properly with Voipo.

Now whoever I call they get a number but private shows up in the display. This is verified by calling a vonage number and a verizon number.

Its worse then that, in that I can't even call on paticular vonange number because they have anonymous call rejection turned on.

usa2k
03-16-2010, 06:27 AM
I find it hard to believe a CNAM would be stuck saying "Unknown". Was this a new VOIPo issued number kdonnel?

Worst case they usually say he city and state.

If its a matter of getting your name to display, I understand the difficulty of that. Vonage never supported except in their earliest days (around 2003). If anybody should have clout, it should be a company with over a million customers! Like Brian did, getting an upstream request put in sounds like a good idea.

Brian, does it say your name now, or something generic?

I had outgoing name before my number ported, and it has stayed with it.
My 2nd line just says "Wildwood Fl".

Checking the CID blocking is a good idea, but that would block the Number and Name, not just the name.

What does http://tnid.org show your number belongs to?
My line showing my name is Broadwing Communications Llc - Mi. It used to be XO
My FL number is Level3.

Brian
03-16-2010, 08:31 AM
USA2K, although I haven't personally seen it, I was told my name now displays. It was always good before I ported into VOIPo a few years ago, and worked for a while after. It's only been in the last 6 months or so that it went away. It seems to be fixed now, from what I've been told.

frankd1
03-16-2010, 11:57 AM
I sincerely hope that outgoing CNAM isn't being gradually sunsetted. I'm not part of the Founders Gang, but I started out with VOIPo over a year ago, and before porting, I was given the same line as many here were: if you currently have outgoing CNAM, you should have it after porting. I think there seems to be a disconnect on how important a feature this is to many of us.

I'm in Brian's boat- after I ported, outbound CNAM definitely worked for awhile. I have no idea when it stopped (people I called made vague comments about not recognizing my number, but no one ever said "your name used to show up, it doesn't now" until my dad did a few weeks ago). I know VOIPo's been adding a lot of local providers to their network over the last year.. I'd guess partly for economic reasons, partly for redundancy/fault tolerance (not having all the eggs in one basket). And that's totally cool with me, but I hope outbound CNAM isn't being looked at as trivial or low priority when signing up new providers.

I put a ticket in last week, and was told my number was being served by a provider that does have LIDB w/ CNAM (Level3 according to TNID), and they said they updated my record, so I'm just waiting for it to propogate. But a lot of us recommended VOIPo to our family and friends, and again- please don't underestimate the importance of outbound CNAM to some of us (and those we got to sign up too). My partner's number (we're in the same house) is being served by "Cost Plus Communication" (??????). Same story for him- he definitely had CNAM after the port, but doesn't now. In the same ticket I submitted for myself, I asked about his number, and I have not heard back on his CNAM status, so I'm hoping Cost Plus isn't as discount as it sounds, and I hope they do have CNAM. If they don't, I hope his number (and anyone in the same boat) can be moved to another provider.

It's one thing to not advertise outbound CNAM as a guaranteed feature. But it's another to confirm it via email/tickets/board posts (with some caveats) before porting, have it work after porting (I probably would have bailed if it didin't work after I ported), then take the feature away months later- long after our trial period, after many of us got comfortable enough with VOIPo to renew for multiple years, and all of this without letting us know of the change.

stevech
03-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Yes, outbound CNAM is a must-have. Deal-breaker.
In this era of telemarketers.

uhf
03-16-2010, 04:56 PM
I agree with outgoing CNAM being a possible deal breaker. Hopefully mine willl continue to work just as it did when I was with Qwest. It now shows up as being carried by 360networks (USA) inc., whoever the heck that is (maybe part of what used to be McLeodUSA?)

VOIPoTim
03-16-2010, 05:11 PM
We don't officially offer outgoing CNAM since some of our carriers not not support it, but we will enable it if the carrier used in an area supports it. We are in the process of consolidating many of our DIDs and moving the behind the scenes to new providers. Once all of this is complete, we expect to being offering CNAM for all DIDs later this year.

With that being said, I've never seen it set as private. All our carriers typically set City, State as the default.

If you've had it in the past with us and it suddenly stopped, this also shouldn't be the case. Even with our migrations, all CNAM is preserved.

If you have one set as private, please open a ticket by e-mailing support@voipo.com and explaining that you're having the issue and the numbers you're calling. If you have a ticket that was closed for us not supporting it, please reply to it to re-open. I'll make sure CID tickets with this issue get moved to Tier II internally.

We need some more examples to be able to investigate this more to see if something is going on upstream or what is happening.

VOIPoTim
03-16-2010, 05:13 PM
I put a ticket in last week, and was told my number was being served by a provider that does have LIDB w/ CNAM (Level3 according to TNID), and they said they updated my record, so I'm just waiting for it to propogate. But a lot of us recommended VOIPo to our family and friends, and again- please don't underestimate the importance of outbound CNAM to some of us (and those we got to sign up too). My partner's number (we're in the same house) is being served by "Cost Plus Communication" (??????). Same story for him- he definitely had CNAM after the port, but doesn't now. In the same ticket I submitted for myself, I asked about his number, and I have not heard back on his CNAM status, so I'm hoping Cost Plus isn't as discount as it sounds, and I hope they do have CNAM. If they don't, I hope his number (and anyone in the same boat) can be moved to another provider.

Cost Plus is Bandwidth.com. Same company that powers Google Voice. In some areas they bought an existing CLEC and merged it into theirs and it still has the old name.

frankd1
03-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Cost Plus is Bandwidth.com. Same company that powers Google Voice. In some areas they bought an existing CLEC and merged it into theirs and it still has the old name.

Thanks Tim... I googled them after I posted and saw they were a substantial company- I should have checked before posting. Sorry about the crack about discount... I was in a pretty foul mood (for other reasons) when I was typing my post.

But do they offer outbound CNAM? I don't use Google Voice, and from checking out bandwidth.com's site, I couldn't see outbound CNAM as a bullet item on any of their products (just inbound).

VOIPoTim
03-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Thanks Tim... I googled them after I posted and saw they were a substantial company- I should have checked before posting. Sorry about the crack about discount... I was in a pretty foul mood (for other reasons) when I was typing my post.

But do they offer outbound CNAM? I don't use Google Voice, and from checking out bandwidth.com's site, I couldn't see outbound CNAM as a bullet item on any of their products (just inbound).

Bandwidth offers it, but they are still working on the way to manage it internally.

They are manually doing it for us for all of our "migrated" DIDs that we moved from Level3.

Once they get the processes/systems in place to process the updates automatically, they will roll it out to all DIDs including newly issued ones.

They have a lot of cool things that we'll be able to access soon including incoming SMS, etc.

Brian
03-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Bandwidth offers it, but they are still working on the way to manage it internally.

They are manually doing it for us for all of our "migrated" DIDs that we moved from Level3.

Once they get the processes/systems in place to process the updates automatically, they will roll it out to all DIDs including newly issued ones.

They have a lot of cool things that we'll be able to access soon including incoming SMS, etc.

Very cool, thanks :) I was able to personally verify my CID Name is good now. For what it's worth, I was calling a Verizon landline before, and it was coming up with "Private Name" and my number. Not "private" all together, just that listed for the name.

frankd1
03-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Very cool, thanks :) I was able to personally verify my CID Name is good now. For what it's worth, I was calling a Verizon landline before, and it was coming up with "Private Name" and my number. Not "private" all together, just that listed for the name.

Brian-

Based on your sig, I'm assuming the VZ landline you verified with was in MD? Because the VZ landline I've been verifying w/ is in PA (my parents), so I would think they'd be dipping from the same db, and my name still isn't showing (my ticket went in on Sat). Do you know which carrier is handling your VOIPo#? (As mentioned before, mine is with L3).

Thanks in advance,
Frank

Brian
03-17-2010, 03:09 AM
Brian-

Based on your sig, I'm assuming the VZ landline you verified with was in MD? Because the VZ landline I've been verifying w/ is in PA (my parents), so I would think they'd be dipping from the same db, and my name still isn't showing (my ticket went in on Sat). Do you know which carrier is handling your VOIPo#? (As mentioned before, mine is with L3).

Thanks in advance,
Frank

Sorry Frank, not sure. How do I check?

usa2k
03-17-2010, 04:36 AM
Sorry Frank, not sure. How do I check?
Try http://tnid.org

frankd1
03-17-2010, 10:30 AM
Try http://tnid.org

Yep... what he says. :)

VOIPoTim
03-17-2010, 03:15 PM
For anyone that reported this in a ticket, please check your replies as this has been resolved.

Some numbers did not correctly have the LIDB/CNAM info preserved in an internal/bulk port from one upstream carrier to another. The new carrier has already corrected the ones we reported (will take up to 72 hours for the changes to propagate) and is going to verify all the other numbers to make sure that id any others that are missing CNAM info, it's added back in.

If you have this issue and have not reported it, please contact support@voipo.com to expedite its resolution.

ellinj
03-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Thanks for following up Tim, Mine is still not working, I'll give it a few days and report back if it doesn't resolve itself.

kdonnel
03-17-2010, 05:48 PM
I just called someone and mine is also still showing Unknown.

VOIPoTim
03-17-2010, 05:56 PM
I just called someone and mine is also still showing Unknown.

Did you have a ticket open? If so, any changes submitted from those take 24-72 hours.

If you didn't have a ticket open, you'll need to e-mail support@voipo.com to pen one so this can be resolved for your account.

wthart
03-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Tim-

I reported this problem on 3/4/2010 with ticket # EZI-948180. My caller id name did work; but, I have my been told and verified that it only shows private call. It has been this way for several months.

I am not in a position to see if it is now working; but I will check on Friday.

Should I reopen the this ticket?

Thanks

Tyler

VOIPoTim
03-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Tim-

I reported this problem on 3/4/2010 with ticket # EZI-948180. My caller id name did work; but, I have my been told and verified that it only shows private call. It has been this way for several months.

I am not in a position to see if it is now working; but I will check on Friday.

Should I reopen the this ticket?

Thanks

Tyler

Yes, go ahead and re-open unless you got a response that it was resolved for you.

frankd1
03-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Just curious... any idea on the significant difference in time it takes to propagate CNAM LIDB changes for different providers? Our number with Cost Plus propagated within a day or two, and our number w/ L3 is still waiting (5+ days after the record change).

I'm fine waiting for the L3 # to propagate, but I was curious if it was just a policy difference between carriers (i.e. Cost Plus will upload record changes daily, L3 only does it once a week or two), or if there's some significant difference in their network architectures that allows some to be more nimble than others.

Again, just curious...

VOIPoTim
03-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Just curious... any idea on the significant difference in time it takes to propagate CNAM LIDB changes for different providers? Our number with Cost Plus propagated within a day or two, and our number w/ L3 is still waiting (5+ days after the record change).

I'm fine waiting for the L3 # to propagate, but I was curious if it was just a policy difference between carriers (i.e. Cost Plus will upload record changes daily, L3 only does it once a week or two), or if there's some significant difference in their network architectures that allows some to be more nimble than others.

Again, just curious...

It's all up the the provider. Level3 is the most difficult provider in the industry to get to do anything and takes weeks to process simple requests.

That's why we're in the process of moving all numbers away from them when there is a viable alternative. I've never met anyone that likes to deal with them :(

Within the next 3-6 months we hope to be Level3-free except rural areas where they are the only one with coverage.

wthart
03-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Yes, go ahead and re-open unless you got a response that it was resolved for you.

I reopened the ticket yesterday and it appears that the changes have already propagated.

I made a few calls and my outgoing caller id name appears to have returned. I am no longer "private call."

Thanks!

ellinj
03-19-2010, 04:35 PM
I reopened the ticket yesterday and it appears that the changes have already propagated.

I made a few calls and my outgoing caller id name appears to have returned. I am no longer "private call."

Thanks!

Same here, seems to be working today.

djrobx
05-28-2011, 12:05 PM
I sent a support request about this and was told "our primary carrier doesn't support this". Who is the primary carrier now?

rChaz
07-27-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm a new VOIPo customer & ported my longtime land line (Verizon) phone number last week. My outgoing Caller ID has now been changed from my name to a local city name. Not happy. I saw in a couple threads here that, although not officially supported by VOIPo, "Due to increased volume and growth, we've had more leverage and have worked with some of our primary carriers to expand its availability. As a result, we now offer Outgoing Caller ID Name in approximately 98% of our Coverage Area for new and ported numbers"

My upstream carrier is now Bandwidth.com (per tnid.org), which forum posts indicate will work with VOIPo on caller ID names, and VOIPo has dealt with them since 2006.

I submitted a support request to VOIPo and the response was:

"We do not support Outbound Caller ID Name because our upstream carrier partner in your area does not support it or allow us to set it. They only support showing the city. If they begin to offer it in the future, we will make it available." Status: Closed

This is very disappointing - I don't want people screening my calls because they don't recognize the ID.

Edit: See the next post for further explanation

rChaz
07-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Ok, this thread explains the issue/status clearly (12-22-2010 post #7 by VOIPoTim):

VoIPo outgoing CNAM
http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php/2690-VoIPo-outgoing-CNAM

It would be nice if this were part of the FAQ so it would be easier to know what to expect for Outgoing CID Name after a port. Prior to porting I expected that since my name was already in the CNAM databases, it would stay there. Verizon apparently maintained the database I was in & wiped it upon the port. So now I'm just a city, sigh...