PDA

View Full Version : Uverse + VOIPo

jlachowin
03-14-2010, 06:25 PM
Need some tips (if any) for using VOIPo over a Uverse Pro (3.0 Mbps) internet connection. This is for my parents, and they live an hour away, so I would like to do the research before I get there.

My mom was shipped a Grandstream ATA. This is what I was planning on doing.

1. Assign static IP to the ATA inside the Uverse RG
2. Forward UDP 5000-65000
3. Forward Uverse calls to VOIPo number in order for my mom to get a feel of the VOIPo service before porting completely to VOIPo.

The ATA will be hooked up directly to the RG to one of the LAN ports.

Anything else I need to be worried about? Thanks!
Justin

abward
03-15-2010, 06:12 AM
You will probably want to put the GS into Bridged mode, or turn off the DHCP server in it so that you will not conflict with the Uverse box.

usa2k
03-15-2010, 07:13 AM
You will probably want to put the GS into Bridged mode, or turn off the DHCP server in it so that you will not conflict with the Uvers box.
+1
GS into Bridged mode, and turn off the DHCP

That would avoid double NAT if the GS LAN was used.

It sounds like there are a few ports on the Uvers Modem.
(Assuming RG = Router Gateway = Uvers Modem.)

jlachowin
03-15-2010, 07:38 AM
Yep, RG = Uverse Residential Gateway, it serves up the TV, Internet and Phone, but I'm replacing the phone service. I will put the GS in bridged mode, although I would never plug anything into the LAN side of the GS.

jlachowin
03-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Success! I plugged the Grandstream ATA after the Uverse router, and set it to a static IP and that is it. I didn't forward any ports as we don't have any issues. Call quality is very good.

I'm forwarding all Uverse calls to the VOIPo number, and having my parents test it for 1-2 weeks, then I will initiate the number port to VOIPo. Thanks.