PDA

View Full Version : Question on wiring cordless phone system and corded

jlachowin
03-16-2010, 08:54 AM
Seems simple, but not sure if this will work or not. My parents are currently testing VOIPo, and I could only get there cordless phone system to work, so there 2 corded phones are dead as of right now.

Is it possible for me to run the phone cable from the 2 corded phones, as well as the main cordless phone system into 1 telephone junction box? This way I will have 2 corded phones, and a cordless phone system (3 total cordless handsets) all working with VOIPo. Take a look at my awesome MS paint drawing.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4026913/wiring.jpg

Anyone see any issues? Connect corded and cordless phones to junction, then run phone cable from junction to VOIPo adapter.

Thanks for any help. Justin

oldcqr
03-16-2010, 09:41 AM
I went one better (just don't tell anyone I did this :P )....

I went outside my house and disconnected my inside wiring from the telco demarc. I then ran a line from my ATA to a nearby walljack. The entire house now has phone just like it did when I had a 'normal' (pots) line.

There should be some kind of 'junction' outside, or just inside, your house where the line from the phone co is joined to the wiring for the house. Sometimes it's a small thing the size of a fist, other times it's a huge box that is marked 'Network interface Device', etc. Usually it's marked with the name of the local phone co.

*IF* you are sure you know what you are looking at, disconnect the house wiring and tape it off. Double check that your existing line is DEAD. Now you can 'back feed' your entire house wiring from the ATA -> Plug a phone cable into the ATA and then into the wall. Voila!

Now, here is the warning: If you fail to disconnect your inside wiring from the telco side, bad things **WILL** happen. At best you'll have a fried ATA. At worst... well.. I don't even want to think about it....

EDIT:

Note that this worked for me since I was NOT using any service on the telco's copper (I have fiber now). If you have DSL, a second line, or other strange circumstances DON'T DO THIS.

jlachowin
03-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Not sure I want to do that, I see your EDIT :) My parents have Uverse and the inside telephone wiring is used for TV and Internet *I believe*.

caseydoug
03-16-2010, 11:51 AM
You should have no problem running both corded and cordless systems off of the VOIPo adapter. I assume you are describing a star topology with the junction box as the hub and the VOIPo adapter feeding the junction box. That's what I have, and it is supporting over a dozen corded jacks and a cordless system with six handsets.

jlachowin
03-16-2010, 11:58 AM
All I needed to know - thanks caseydoug!

lost_
03-17-2010, 07:35 AM
I used to do that in my old house, until I moved and switched to a multiple handset cordless system, that I recently upgraded to a Philips DECT 2-line cordless system with four handsets (good deal at $160). The 2-line cordless system made a huge difference for me and my wife as I work from home most of the time.