PDA

View Full Version : ATA Dialing Plan

stevech
03-16-2010, 10:52 PM
New customer. Waiting for ATA to arrive.
I know VoIPo locks the ATA.
But I want it to have a 7 digit dial plan for my area code.
Waiting for the timeout or requiring "#" will be a deal killer with the family here, as compared to POTS.

How do I get that ATA setup done?

usa2k
03-17-2010, 04:26 AM
The ATA has no settings that you control for dial plan. The pause is not bad for 11 and 7 digit dialing. 10 digit is the standard. It should work fine using 7 digits, although I never rely personally on 7.

The ATA does not do the dial plans. It is a back office function. That means a soft phone, a Grandstream, or a Linksys can control the dialing features in the same way.

You can't try a BYOD soft phone until your ATA has registered - but the shipping of the device should not be too long.

I use a 555 shortcut to dial my wife at work. I always dial 555# because it goes faster and is simple to do. That is an outbound routing feature using the Forwarding option. Basically you can have zillions of custom speed dials using 1,2,3,4, ... digit aliases.

burris
03-17-2010, 08:16 AM
Are you saying that the ATAs don't contain the dial plans?

All my ATAs have dial plans and I can either ask support to alter them or I can do it myself if I disable provisioning.

usa2k
03-17-2010, 11:00 AM
I was under the impression that the dial plan was not local to the ATA.
Maybe VOIPoBrandon could weigh in?

Routing like a 555 shortcut goes to the back office.
Likewise I expect 7 digit dialing to do the same.
I certainly can be wrong, but I thought that is what they do.

VOIPoTim
03-17-2010, 11:23 AM
I was under the impression that the dial plan was not local to the ATA.
Maybe VOIPoBrandon could weigh in?

Routing like a 555 shortcut goes to the back office.
Likewise I expect 7 digit dialing to do the same.
I certainly can be wrong, but I thought that is what they do.

We normally set it to just send everything us and handle it all on the backend, but the ATAs do have the ability to handle things before it gets to us if that's set in them.

fisamo
03-17-2010, 11:34 AM
I think that the OP was asking the following:

If he submits a ticket to support, will they be able to customize the dialplan on his ATA to explicitly support 7-digit dialing (without an extended pause after dialing the 7th digit)?

I can see something like this working if his ATA is a Linksys PAP2T, but can it work for Grandstream? I'm unclear as to their dialplan customization options. Even though the PAP2T clearly allows such customization (and if the other customers' ATAs support custom dialplans), is support able and authorized to make that change?

stevech
03-17-2010, 08:10 PM

If he submits a ticket to support, will they be able to customize the dialplan on his ATA to explicitly support 7-digit dialing (without an extended pause after dialing the 7th digit)?

I can see something like this working if his ATA is a Linksys PAP2T, but can it work for Grandstream? I'm unclear as to their dialplan customization options. Even though the PAP2T clearly allows such customization (and if the other customers' ATAs support custom dialplans), is support able and authorized to make that change?

Yes, the above is what I am asking.
The impetus: Family needs to continue to have 7 digit dialing for same-area-code numbers, as is done on POTS. Without a dead-air timeout after dialing 7 digits. With a locked ATA, I cannot enter this dialing plan. Hence the original question in this thread. The sole area code for such 7 digit numbers is 858. Telling people here to deal with dead air, hit "#" or dial 10 digits needlessly will get me beat-up.

dteague
03-17-2010, 09:45 PM
I went from a 7 digit dialing plan on VoIP to requiring 10 on AT&T VoIP product and my wife and family got used to having to dial 10 digits. Went to VoIPo last year and am back to 7 with a few seconds wait to connect, and the wife doesn't complain.

I had more complaints when we had to dial 10 digits for 2+ years.

I would say that they will get used to it.

stevech
03-18-2010, 01:35 PM
I would say that they will get used to it.
not good enough.

caseydoug
03-19-2010, 09:18 PM

I'd be interested in knowing this. It seems like we are waiting longer these days for the dialed number to start ringing. Can that be fixed with a customized dial plan? Should I be dialing # at the end of the string to speed it up?

stevech
03-19-2010, 09:49 PM
That's what I want. There is too much dead air before ring-back is heard. Even on 10 and 11 digit calls.

Like 5-10 seconds. People think they have to hang-up/redial.

Russell
03-20-2010, 06:48 AM
I'd be interested in knowing this. It seems like we are waiting longer these days for the dialed number to start ringing. Can that be fixed with a customized dial plan? Should I be dialing # at the end of the string to speed it up?
Pressing that # will definitely speed things up. Try it. Call your favorite store / your place of work with and without the # and see the difference.

lost_
03-20-2010, 08:26 AM
My family is so used to #. For most frequently used numbers, I've programmed 3 digit or 4 digit outgoing call routes, such that even with the # it's still shorter than 7 digit. Want to call the doctor? Dial DOC#. Call Mom? Well of course, MOM#. It's so easy.

(then again, my NPA has required 10-digit dialing on POTS for ages nobody around here remembers what 7-digit dialing was like).

usa2k
03-20-2010, 09:53 AM
(then again, my NPA has required 10-digit dialing on POTS for ages nobody around here remembers what 7-digit dialing was like).You can spoil people with 7 digit anyway by buying the right phone.

My TRU9466 5.8Ghz 2-line Uniden can take a local area code.
For me, if you dial 7 digits it prepends a 734.

CAVEAT:
[I THINK] This only works if you punch the numbers in, then hit send.
If you begin by getting a dial tone first, they are sent immediately.
(I kinda wish it inhibited that so you have to punch a digit first.)
There is no real 7 digit dialing around here to spoil us fro conventional service either.

stevech
03-20-2010, 11:07 AM
You can spoil people with 7 digit anyway by buying the right phone.
Step back and consider what the above says:
Given one already has 7 digit dialing with POTS, and is changing to VoIP to get more features for less cost...
Would you have them go buy all new phones? The TRU9466's are $135 (Uniden's list price) plus $30-50 per add-on handset - however these are older/discontinued products.
Reality check, please.

usa2k
03-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Just thinking outside he box.
Its not all about money for everybody reading this thread.

And my last purchase was refurbished and like new:
10/29/2009 2 Line Expandable Cordless System with Dual Keypad... $24.99
TOTAL $24.99 Shipping included

rcc344
02-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Does anyone know if there is a dial plan set in the HT502? Particulary, to activate the voicemail option.
I'm planning to use my own HT502 as BYOD so that I can have a different providers as line 1 and line 2.

wintek
03-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Here is the dial plan I use on the 502. Replace 318 with your area code:

{^1900x|<=1318>[2-9]xxxxxx|1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx|<=1>[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx|011[2-9]x.|<611=18004377950>|<411=18002464411>|x+|*x+|*xx*x+}