PDA

View Full Version : Service Down ?

rx100
03-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Tried to call home and getting "The code you dialed is incorrect check the no you dialed" message. @ 3/17/10 11:32AM PST

Russell
03-17-2010, 12:33 PM
My wife just got the same. She is FURIOUS.

VOIPoTim
03-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Everything seems fine. Only 2 support tickets in our main queue total.

It's possible there was a network blip for a few seconds, but usually we see a huge surge in tickets when there is.

We'll keep a close eye on things thought to see if anything comes up.

Russell
03-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Everything seems fine. Only 2 support tickets in our main queue total.

It's possible there was a network blip for a few seconds, but usually we see a huge surge in tickets when there is.

We'll keep a close eye on things thought to see if anything comes up.

Must have been several network blips :-). The wife called, got the message, then called me and conference called so I could hear the same message (disconnected / not in service) - so the downtime was more than just the first call. She was pretty p*ssed off to say the least as she was trying to reach a child at home to coordinate travel plans and there was no other way to reach home. Luckily, it now appears to be fixed.

scott2020
03-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Must have been several network blips :-). The wife called, got the message, then called me and conference called so I could hear the same message (disconnected / not in service) - so the downtime was more than just the first call. She was pretty p*ssed off to say the least as she was trying to reach a child at home to coordinate travel plans and there was no other way to reach home. Luckily, it now appears to be fixed.

I had an incoming call go directly to VOIPo voicemail this morning. I have my failover set to another phone number, so I'm not sure why failover isn't working for me. It was the same thing when there was latency problems a couple of days ago.

If the VOIPo system recognizes there is a problem and sends calls to voicemail as a failover, why would it not recognize to send to my failover phone number I have set up?

VOIPoTim
03-18-2010, 09:55 AM
I had an incoming call go directly to VOIPo voicemail this morning. I have my failover set to another phone number, so I'm not sure why failover isn't working for me. It was the same thing when there was latency problems a couple of days ago.

If the VOIPo system recognizes there is a problem and sends calls to voicemail as a failover, why would it not recognize to send to my failover phone number I have set up?

The way our failover works, it should be either one or the other depending on what is set.

Do you have a ticket open?

VOIPoTim
03-18-2010, 09:56 AM

Since we use the public internet sometimes it's out of our control.

Sorry to hear your wife was upset. I hear so much about the ways of wives whether from customers or employees. The more I hear, the more I'm glad I don't have one. :)

uhf
03-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Sorry to hear your wife was upset. I hear so much about the ways of wives whether from customers or employees. The more I hear, the more I'm glad I don't have one. :)

LOL! My wife called last night too bitching that the phone doesn't work right. One way audio (again). Support had me forward the high ports (35000-65000 UDP I think), but I forgot to open those ports in the firewall!! Ooops.. So far today I've had no more issues with one-way audio so I think the problem was my firewall.

Wives seem to get bent out of shape when the phone doesn't work.

dlangley
03-18-2010, 10:24 AM
When the pouty wives complain just remind them how much money they are saving over standard service. Show them that its close to $500 or more for a year, and see if pressing redial once a week is really worth the flowers, nice dinners and extra crap they bought with that $500.

holmes4
03-18-2010, 10:44 AM
My wife will tell you that an unreliable phone isn't worth free. That's what I told Vonage when I called to cancel, as my Vonage line had been pretty much unusable for months, despite multiple support tickets.

So far, she likes Voipo.

ctaranto
03-18-2010, 10:58 AM
I have to agree with Steve. A telephone is a "bare essential" in the household, especially one with kids and/or parents/inlaws who may have a medical emergency at any time.

Yes, we have cell phones, but in a need of crisis, play date, or whatever, playing round robin with phone numbers to get a hold of someone sometimes isn't an option.

Luckily, after a few months of issues/instability, VOIPo support and I have worked out the issues and now I'm stable (no known outages for about a month).

-Craig

scott2020
03-18-2010, 01:18 PM
The way our failover works, it should be either one or the other depending on what is set.

Do you have a ticket open?

I don't have a ticket open yet. I was going to try disconnecting my end and then seeing what happens at fail over time. The past two times latency on the Internet was an issue, the failover went to VOIPo VM and not my failover number. I would like to reproduce it and then I'll open the ticket with more accurate dates/times.

MisterEd
03-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Since we use the public internet sometimes it's out of our control.

Naaaah, Wives are OK. I've had mine 44 years. There are times when I'd like to trade her in, but once you get used to them, they are bearable. Grandchildren are even better. :)

scott2020
03-18-2010, 09:46 PM
I don't have a ticket open yet. I was going to try disconnecting my end and then seeing what happens at fail over time. The past two times latency on the Internet was an issue, the failover went to VOIPo VM and not my failover number. I would like to reproduce it and then I'll open the ticket with more accurate dates/times.

Tonight there is horrible latency to central. I have been seeing it a lot lately into Dallas. Maybe someone at the data center can re-route around this latency or talk to their carriers and see if something can be done. My latency is only to VOIPo and not my other providers.

VOIPoTim
03-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Tonight there is horrible latency to central. I have been seeing it a lot lately into Dallas. Maybe someone at the data center can re-route around this latency or talk to their carriers and see if something can be done. My latency is only to VOIPo and not my other providers.

Can you send or post a traceroute?

We aren't really seeing any issues so would need something to show them if we report it.

oldcqr
03-19-2010, 11:13 AM
I am also having issues on my lines today: Weird tones (both DTMF and other strange things), incoming calls going directly to voice mail, outgoing calls ringing busy when the other person says their phone rings and no one is on the other end, outgoing calls failing to connect, and 1/2 to 1 second delay echos.

I haven't opened a ticket since I can't pin down something solid to tell the support guys.

oldcqr
03-19-2010, 12:18 PM
I opened a ticket. I gave the info I had, I can only hope they don't think I'm crazy ;)

scott2020
03-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Can you send or post a traceroute?

We aren't really seeing any issues so would need something to show them if we report it.

When I see it again I'll send something over. Most often times I don't catch it right at the moment it is happening. Most of the time my wife tells me later the phone was "broken" and I look at my Asterisk logs to find there was high latency with the qualify. I have two other providers that did not show any problem with latency. If it is my Internet, all of the providers log around the same time the qualify latency was out of whack, but the last couple of days it was only the VOIPo route.
Scott

caseydoug
03-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Naaaah, Wives are OK. I've had mine 44 years. There are times when I'd like to trade her in, but once you get used to them, they are bearable. Grandchildren are even better. :)

Whaddyknow, another geezer. My wife and I were married in August 1965. I didn't think anyone in this forum would come close to that. :)

MisterEd
03-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Whaddyknow, another geezer. My wife and I were married in August 1965. I didn't think anyone in this forum would come close to that. :)

Got me by a year. Yea, the whole world is full o' dem youngun's. :)

burris
03-20-2010, 03:51 AM

You all sound like youngsters.

We just passed the 53 year mark :rolleyes:

usa2k
03-20-2010, 09:44 AM
You are all making me feel young when I hit the BIG 50 this May.
My family was an instant family of five, so that anniversary will only be 16 years!

Heather had 3 girls, her best friend had 7 girls, I was outnumbered!

MisterEd
03-21-2010, 08:36 AM
You all sound like youngsters.

We just passed the 53 year mark :rolleyes: Ah, so that's why we're "Senior Members." Wonder if Voipo offers a senior citizen discount? :D

usa2k
03-21-2010, 08:49 AM
Stay around long enough, and it will change to Senile Member.
(They will maybe charge more when you are distracted :))

burris
03-21-2010, 09:34 AM
Ah, so that's why we're "Senior Members." Wonder if Voipo offers a senior citizen discount? :D

They do, but only if you make your calls during "The Early Bird Special.":rolleyes:

stevech
03-21-2010, 11:29 AM
I wish you guys would switch this chit-chat to a thread with a less ominous title!

burris
03-21-2010, 12:07 PM
I wish you guys would switch this chit-chat to a thread with a less ominous title!

The "Senior Member" is Tim's connotation.

Complain to him;)

usa2k
03-21-2010, 12:30 PM
It is a catchy title :)

rsdiol
03-23-2010, 06:08 PM
Wives with phone problems is not a good thing....makes life tough!
We have had several problems today. A couple of calls went directly to voice mail, several other calls rang but could not hear us when answered and another caller was greeted with some sort of message: "unable to complete call...".

Been quite a blippy day for sure!

VOIPoTim
03-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Wives with phone problems is not a good thing....makes life tough!
We have had several problems today. A couple of calls went directly to voice mail, several other calls rang but could not hear us when answered and another caller was greeted with some sort of message: "unable to complete call...".

Been quite a blippy day for sure!

No issues on our end. Contact support and they'll work with you.

Sounds like you might need port forwarding.

If the ports aren't forwarded and the router blocks connection, it generates the error and the unable to complete calls is a generic message that the other provider plays.

Russell
03-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Another issue tonight about our phone being "not in service". Phone rings a couple of times; we pick it up and hear nothing. Shortly thereafter phone rings again from same caller and all is well. The caller (our child) says she heard that our number was "not in service" the first time (I guess, while we were hearing the rings). 420208917_113882314@192.168.37.76 is the id of the questionable call.

sr98user
03-30-2010, 07:54 AM
Russell,

Yesterday I had couple of calls that went to voicemail after two rings. I created a ticket and they have notified the upstream carrier about this issue. Its working fine now. Voipo thinks its an issue with the upstream carrier.

Last week, a caller told me that they got the "phone not in service" message and got through the second time. I did not create a ticket for this and chalked it up to a network issue since it didn't happen again when I tested with my cell phone.

ptrowski
03-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Things are a bit flaky here. People have called and they said that they get a fast busy but the call routes to my cell phone. I just tried calling my brother in law who is a voipo customer and there was a substantial pause before it started ringing and went to his failover number. Calling into a conference call today there was also a very long pause before the call picked up.

VOIPoTim
03-30-2010, 04:08 PM
If you have issues, please submit a ticket so support can look into it.

With that said, I do think this week we may be hitting some load issues. We're doing another round of upgrades to our database cluster tonight to double capacity.

I don't know 100% that these are related, but for a few of the disconnected messages, the logs show a delay in the database query so the other carrier assumed it failed by the time it completed. So it could be related.

We didn't anticipate needing to go beyond that last upgrades, but we've grown about 10x in the last 2 months and have decided to just go ahead and double the hardware at this time.

http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?p=17825#post17825

slk2k
03-30-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm having similar issues as well (caller gets number is disconnected),
a few times on outbound, I get fast busy when dialing out.

I opened a TT (HBG-874105) and support is having me set up port
forwarding inside my pfsense box.

Somehow, I screwed that up (when I set the ATA to a static, it
no longer registers I can't get back into the ata - but that's a seperate
issue I hope support can help me with ... :-)

Russell
03-30-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm having similar issues as well (caller gets number is disconnected),
a few times on outbound, I get fast busy when dialing out.

I opened a TT (HBG-874105) and support is having me set up port
forwarding inside my pfsense box.

Somehow, I screwed that up (when I set the ATA to a static, it
no longer registers I can't get back into the ata - but that's a seperate
issue I hope support can help me with ... :-)

Do note a caller getting number is disconnected is due to issues on the VOIPo side - as Tim mentioned the database didn't respond quickly enough. Hopefully, measures being taken will improve things. I really like VOIPo and am hoping the various sever side issues get resolved and we don't have the experience of my former company after the SunRocket closure. Tim's honesty about the cause of the issue in this case is appreciated - I appreciate less "network glitch" reasons :-).

Tim, hopefully, we shouldn't have to report these number not in service issues. I'd like to imagine that reports can be run on your side to filter and determine the cause of such failed calls without us opening tickets.

slk2k
03-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Do note a caller getting number is disconnected is due to issues on the VOIPo side - as Tim mentioned the database didn't respond quickly enough. Hopefully, measures being taken will improve things. I really like VOIPo and am hoping the various sever side issues get resolved and we don't have the experience of my former company after the SunRocket closure. Tim's honesty about the cause of the issue in this case is appreciated - I appreciate less "network glitch" reasons :-).

Tim, hopefully, we shouldn't have to report these number not in service issues. I'd like to imagine that reports can be run on your side to filter and determine the cause of such failed calls without us opening tickets.

I do realize that the "number is disconnected" issue may very well be a voipo-sided problem, but I was trying to follow the golden rule of "let support know about it". It it wasn't for my own idiocy (must of set the GW or DNS IP wrong), I would most likely still be on line....:(

VOIPoTim
03-30-2010, 08:59 PM
It's still important to contact support because it may not be related.

The vast majority of the cases we see with it are when port forwarding is not set.

It could be a variety of things.

slk2k
03-30-2010, 09:02 PM
And that's why I contacted support!! ;)

I do want to say "Thank You" for being so personally involved in your business!

Russell
03-31-2010, 05:21 AM
It's still important to contact support because it may not be related.

The vast majority of the cases we see with it are when port forwarding is not set.

It could be a variety of things.

Tim are you saying that the in the vast majority of the cases of the "number disconected or not in service", the issues are port forwarding? If yes, I'm very curious as to why the system doesn't either use the fallback number or voicemail instead of generating "number disconected or not in service".

bakntime
03-31-2010, 06:07 AM
I've already submitted a ticket, but I just thought I'd post this here in case someone else has a similar issue or can help.

When I call my friend's cell phone, I hear a couple rings, then a "this number is no longer in service or is disconnected" recording. She does not hear any rings on her end. If I call her cell from a landline/POTS, the call goes through fine. I can call several other phone numbers with VOIPo and there are no issues, so it's just this particular number that's an issue (though I suspect there are other numbers out there that would have the same issue).

Russell
03-31-2010, 06:46 AM
I believe there are two separate issues here - incoming calls getting the "disconnected or not longer in service" message and ditto for outgoing calls. I was referring to the incoming calls in my posts - and that too sporadically.

ptrowski
03-31-2010, 07:47 AM
I submitted the ticket this AM. While growth is very good, I hope that in the future the upgrades can be anticipated so the service will go back to the quality it was at before.

ctaranto
03-31-2010, 07:59 AM
Maybe I'm finally lucky (and don't want to curse myself), but I haven't experienced any issues lately.

My intent isn't to say "ha ha", it's to express that not everyone is having issues and this may be isolated to certain regions.

I hope the upgrades this morning help those that were seeing issues.

-Craig

slk2k
03-31-2010, 08:13 AM
Looks like even Tech Support is having troubles .....

While trying to call VOIPo support (as directed by support through
ny ticket), I get the famous "you have reached a call source number
that is no longer in service".

Not good. Not good at all.

usa2k
03-31-2010, 08:32 AM
See your other post - looks like a fat finger error!
(Just an expression!)

slk2k
03-31-2010, 08:59 AM
See your other post - looks like a fat finger error!
(Just an expression!)

I did and I didn't!!

I used the number as sent to me by tech support and didn't map it
myself!

Thanks for the help!

oldcqr
03-31-2010, 10:06 AM
These sound like the issues I was having starting on 3/19. Unfortunately, support at the time continued to insist that I needed to forward nearly every port on my router to the Voipo ATA (from 5000 to 65000) for both TCP and UDP. Not that I would want to do anything else with my internet service.....

Finally I just gave up on the ticket, and things started to work again by themselves.

VOIPoTim
03-31-2010, 10:19 AM
Tim are you saying that the in the vast majority of the cases of the "number disconected or not in service", the issues are port forwarding? If yes, I'm very curious as to why the system doesn't either use the fallback number or voicemail instead of generating "number disconected or not in service".

Failover works when you're not connected to our servers or we can't make any kind of connection. If we make the first connection but then the router blocks another part of the transaction, it fails but failover does not come on since it initially connected to you. There is no real way to modify that.

These sound like the issues I was having starting on 3/19. Unfortunately, support at the time continued to insist that I needed to forward nearly every port on my router to the Voipo ATA (from 5000 to 65000) for both TCP and UDP. Not that I would want to do anything else with my internet service.....

Finally I just gave up on the ticket, and things started to work again by themselves.

The majority of disconnect issues we see are related to routers blocking the ports which is resolved by port forwarding.

What happens a lot is that the initial connection is made to the router and then when we send the 2nd part from another IP somewhere (such as the audio), the router considers that traffic to be "unknown" and blocks it. This generates an error. So an error gets sent back to the phone carrier you are calling FROM and they play the generic error message which is disconnected.

In some cases, it's also just been latency in connections. As an example if we send a request to a customer and it takes too long to hear back and for us to relay back to the carrier you're calling from, it will trigger a failed error which causes them to play disconnected. This is why support commonly checks the ping time and connection between a customer and our network.

So far we've only seen a handful of calls that have failed due to a slow database query recently, but wanted to do these updates as a precautionary measure so that it wouldn't happen at all. So if you've seen it multiple times, that wouldn't be related. We definitely were not at a point where there was a ton of strain on the system and had to immediately upgrade...it was just a situation where we apparently had hit it a few times at peak capacity and wanted to stop it before it became an issue since hardware upgrades as easy to do.

The other thing to keep in mind is that all of these things apply upstream as well. The internet is used for the connection between US and our carriers and between the customer and us. So if there is an issue in either layer that causes something to be too slow or fail, that's another possibility.

That's why it's always important to contact support so they can look at all the scenarios and see why you had issues. We typically do use port forwarding because it is the most efficient way to address the issue and make sure the traffic gets through the router.

ctaranto
03-31-2010, 12:07 PM

Both TCP and UDP? I thought VOIPo suggested that range for UDP only. At least that's what I've seen many times in these forums, and how I have my router configured.

I can't imagine forwarding all those for TCP...

-Craig

VOIPoTim
03-31-2010, 12:13 PM
Both TCP and UDP? I thought VOIPo suggested that range for UDP only. At least that's what I've seen many times in these forums, and how I have my router configured.

I can't imagine forwarding all those for TCP...

-Craig

UDP only is fine. All our communication is on UDP.

man
03-31-2010, 03:26 PM
UDP only is fine. All our communication is on UDP.

That 949 local area code must be helping with these new accounts :)

Growth is always a good problem to have and many users understand as scaling hick ups gets ironed out.

The maintenance notices on the forum is helpful.
I did notice the forum stays up even when the Sql server is taken down for maint this morning.

Thanks Tim for keeping us in the loop of your hardware upgrades.

VOIPoTim
03-31-2010, 04:17 PM
That 949 local area code must be helping with these new accounts :)

Growth is always a good problem to have and many users understand as scaling hick ups gets ironed out.

The maintenance notices on the forum is helpful.
I did notice the forum stays up even when the Sql server is taken down for maint this morning.

Thanks Tim for keeping us in the loop of your hardware upgrades.

Thanks for the comment. We do try to always keep lines of communication open. The forums are on a different database server so they'll be up during any issues or maintenance. The helpdesk is also hosted in a completely different datacenter entire so that it always remains up for support submissions during outages or issues.

zcnkac
03-31-2010, 05:22 PM
I have modified my asterisk to measure how long it takes to register with the SIP server (usually central01). Over the past two weeks, I have seen spikes of up to 15 seconds that happen at least once a day. Even today after the database server maintenance, I had a spike of 14 seconds to west01. I have had better luck with west01 excepting today, with a spike of 6 seconds.

I experienced a 'not in service' message once. As has been previously mentioned, a delayed database lookup can cause this and also latency in registrations.

VOIPoTim
03-31-2010, 05:26 PM
I have modified my asterisk to measure how long it takes to register with the SIP server (usually central01). Over the past two weeks, I have seen spikes of up to 15 seconds that happen at least once a day. Even today after the database server maintenance, I had a spike of 14 seconds to west01. I have had better luck with west01 excepting today, with a spike of 6 seconds.

I experienced a 'not in service' message once. As has been previously mentioned, a delayed database lookup can cause this and also latency in registrations.

Yeah it definitely could. 15 seconds is still within the industry standard for registrations though, so I wouldn't worry about that much. It's a lot more tolerant.

Incoming calls are different since a 3rd party will set their own timeouts before they consider failure.

We'll continue to keep an eye on things to see if there are any new load spikes like the handful we saw causing failed calls.

bakntime
04-01-2010, 06:24 AM
Thought I'd pop back in and say that they quickly fixed my problem (outbound call to specific number was reporting "not in service" message). Customer service has always been quick and responsive, and in a still-emerging technology like voip there are going to be the occasional flukes that you wouldn't have had to deal with on POTS. But then again, paying $10/month vs. paying $70/month isn't much of a contest. There are bound to be a few growing pains, but at least we know that Tim and the support team aren't resting on their laurels - they're active on the forum and support is easy to contact via ticket, e-mail, and phone. It's good to know they care, and I've always felt confident that if there was an issue, they'd be right on it.

Aside from the occasional blips over the past 8 months, service is relaible and quality is great.