PDA

View Full Version : How many line phones do you have?

babaganoosh
03-23-2010, 08:16 AM
When you sign up with Voipo with phone number x, you get 2 lines, right? either / both can make / receive calls on phone number X.

Do you use 2 line phones to take advantage of the 2 lines? or does that 2nd clone line go unused? Is it me or are 2 line phones hard to find?

Thanks!

MisterEd
03-23-2010, 08:21 AM
When you sign up with Voipo with phone number x, you get 2 lines, right? either / both can make / receive calls on phone number X.

Do you use 2 line phones to take advantage of the 2 lines? or does that 2nd clone line go unused? Is it me or are 2 line phones hard to find?

Thanks!

There are plenty of 2-line phones out there (not nearly as many as 1-line of course). Staples, OM, OD and all the usual web stores all have them in stock as well as all over the web. They aren't as cheap as single line. I have an RCA DECT 6 2-Line cordless with 3 extensions.

burris
03-23-2010, 08:30 AM
I actually have 2 cordless satellite systems.

The main one has 6 remotes and the second line has 2 remotes in places where they can easily be shared. There are only 2 of us at home.

babaganoosh
03-23-2010, 08:33 AM
burris:

so 1 system has 1 line and the other system has the 2nd line? I was thinking about that, but then you have 2x as many phones / likely don't have the phone you need when it rings.

but the cost of 1 line phones are like $25 each in packages of 3 - 4 - 5 wireless phones. And multi line phones are $80 - $100 : (

ctaranto
03-23-2010, 10:37 AM
We have two separate cordless phone systems. I upgraded our phones (http://www.amazon.com/CS6219-2-Expandable-2-Handset-Cordless-Speakerphone/dp/B001S2PKG8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1269362039&sr=8-3-spell) recently (and added one additional extension). We recycles our older Panasonic phone (http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KX-TG6053S-Expandable-Cordless-Handsets/dp/B000LYA93I/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269362106&sr=1-11), connecting it directly to the other port of the PAP2T, placing the base behind our TV console, and using the extensions in places we don't typically use the phone (basement, random rooms). Yes, it would have been neat to get a phone with two lines built in, but there would have been a caveat in our case. The PAP2T is in a place where we don't have a physical phone. We plug line 1 into the "house" wiring, and the base is elsewhere. So a two line phone required us to have the base within wiring distance of the PAP2T - not possible for us.

By using both lines, we can make two phone calls at the same time (or answer an incoming call other than using call waiting). Pretty neat. None of my previous providers (Vonage and VoicePulse) offered the free cloned line.

-Craig

burris
03-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Years ago I was a beta tester for some phone manufacturers and I still use one of the systems for my cloned line.
I generally spend most of my home time either in my computer room or in the living room..reading. Those two spots have the 2nd line phones.
And, if the 2nd phone is not convenient at the moment, rare, call waiting works well.

holmes4
03-23-2010, 11:22 AM
I bought a 2-line phone at Staples the other day for under $50. However, you can use an ordinary 1-line phone if you like as there is a separate phone jack on the router.

MisterEd
03-23-2010, 01:45 PM
I have 2 separate Voipo numbers (not using the cloned feature, had it "upgraded" to 2 individual lines both ported from Vonage) so using the 2 line phone allowed me use hold and to transfer between lines, use it as an intercom and share call lists.

I keep the 2 line cordless base unit on a shelf right under the PAP2 on my desk and the cordless extensions where I need them in the house so I had no wiring issues although I wired my house many years ago for 2 lines if I want to go back to wired phones. I also have 4 DirecTV HD-DVR's hooked up to the PAP2 for caller ID on my TV's which (to my surprise) works perfectly.

babaganoosh
03-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Ed: So you really have access to 4 phone lines, right (the 2 numbers on the 2 accounts AND the 2 cloned lines).

So are you not using the 2 cloned lines? Just a 2 line phone, with each line handling 1 phone line / voipo account?
when you are on line 1 and someone calls it, you get caller ID tone, right?

thanks!

ctaranto
03-23-2010, 03:06 PM
The PAP2T has 2 lines. I believe Ed says he has two numbers. When two numbers are on a PAP2T, there no room to clone anything, so he has two lines, each with a unique number. I, on the other hand, have two lines, but both with the same number.

-Craig

babaganoosh
03-23-2010, 03:33 PM
thanks, but I have 2 boxes (with a total of 4 jacks) for the 2 numbers on 2 different accounts. So I have 4 lines (2 cloned & 2 phone numbers). I was thinking he had the same.

lost_
03-23-2010, 07:21 PM
Two VOIPo numbers on a 2-line Philips SE6591 DECT cordless system with 4 handsets + speakerphone base (a good deal for $160)

caseydoug
03-23-2010, 10:17 PM
All the wired jacks in my house support two lines (inside and outside pairs) which home run to my wiring closet. Thus each jack supports either two single-line phones or one two-line phone, and I have both types. In addition, I have a two-line cordless system with around six two-line handsets.

I upgraded the cloned line from VOIPo, so the two lines are independent. A single PAP2 connected to the wiring closet drives all of it. The base station of the cordless system is simply connected to one of the wired jacks. Most of the phones are pretty old, but everything seems to work.

MisterEd
03-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Ed: So you really have access to 4 phone lines, right (the 2 numbers on the 2 accounts AND the 2 cloned lines).

So are you not using the 2 cloned lines? Just a 2 line phone, with each line handling 1 phone line / voipo account?
when you are on line 1 and someone calls it, you get caller ID tone, right?

thanks!

No, I have one PAP2 with 2 separate fully independent phone numbers (just like CASEYDOUG above). You can do this for free (well, you need to buy a virtual number) then go into vPanel, BETA and use the "2nd Line" feature). For the additional cost of a virtual number ($24/yr) you will have 2 independent lines. That's the best bargain there is from Voipo other then their standard rates.