PDA

View Full Version : dead air / fasty busy service problems

patoka
03-24-2010, 11:11 PM
Both my mom and I are having similar problems, dead air after dialing a call or a fast busy on the first attempt.
This just started today, so I'm wondering if last night's maintenance had something to do with it.

Support now says I need UDP ports 5004-65000 forwarded, this is a change from previous posts in the forum and tech support email.

VOIPoTim
03-24-2010, 11:22 PM
Dead air is almost always related to port forwarding not being setup. The audio streams come from third-party provides and NOT from our system so a lot of routers don't think they are legitimate and block them.

We do now recommend 5004-65000 since that range covers all the ports our upstream providers use.

I know it sounds repetitive, but most routers block the traffic and we see this constantly and see forwarding resolve the issues with a very high success rate.

I'd recommend verifying the port forwarding and if that is setup and it's still not resolved, send the router model numbers to support for further assistance and they can tell you what else would be causing it.

Gene Steinberg
03-26-2010, 07:50 AM
Dead air is almost always related to port forwarding not being setup. The audio streams come from third-party provides and NOT from our system so a lot of routers don't think they are legitimate and block them.

We do now recommend 5004-65000 since that range covers all the ports our upstream providers use.

I know it sounds repetitive, but most routers block the traffic and we see this constantly and see forwarding resolve the issues with a very high success rate.

I'd recommend verifying the port forwarding and if that is setup and it's still not resolved, send the router model numbers to support for further assistance and they can tell you what else would be causing it.

I have had an occasional fast-busy on an Apple Time Capsule. However, the port range doesn't work with that router. I get a "port conflict" warning if I try.

Other options?

Peace,
Gene

zcnkac
03-26-2010, 01:15 PM
That's too many ports to forward !! The PAP2T defaults to use ports 16384-16482 for RTP; I would think forwarding only those ports should be necessary. Since there can be a maximum of two simultaneous calls, the port range can be further reduced.

sr98user
03-26-2010, 01:22 PM
It depends on the router you are using and how it translates the port number. Some routers use the same numbers on the public side of the router for all UDP (RTP is UDP underneath) ports. Some might choose a arbitrary port number that is less than 65536. The only way to find out is to look at the NAT table. Or may some IP packet debugging on the router.