PDA

View Full Version : Q on voice mail

stevech
03-29-2010, 09:21 PM
new user...
Voice mail waiting. Stuttered dial tone.
I call. Attendant prompts and I hear the caller's message.
At the end of the message, during quiet, I press "2" to save the message. No response.
I hang up, dial in again.
During the playback of the recorded message, I press "2". I press "#". Nothing happens, playback continues.

I call from my POTS phone and login to voice mail. I press "2" during playback. It correctly says "message saved".

I dial again from the VoIPo line. No messages waiting. After the prompts, I press "5". No response.

This Panasonic phone connected to my HT502 seems to work for DTMF to dial voice mail via 123. It dials PSTN numbers fine via the HT502. It does DTMF fine to the 3 or so IVRs like my employer's voice mail fine.
Since the HT502 is passing DTMFs to the IVRs I call other than VoIPo's voice mail, I wouldn't blame my phone or the HT502.

So I conclude it's not me, it's VoIPo's voice mail isn't receiving or isn't detecting my DTMFs.

AND
Where's the web page or printed voice mail user guide listing the keys/commands? Not on the Quick Reference Guide sent to me.

Where's the user HELP web page (Crib Sheet) on VPanel?

uhf
03-30-2010, 07:24 AM
Where's the web page or printed voice mail user guide listing the keys/commands? Not on the Quick Reference Guide sent to me.

Where's the user HELP web page (Crib Sheet) on VPanel?
This is my biggest gripe about VOIPo. There is no help page. I've asked for documentation of features and they tell me to just open a support ticket to ask my question.

Because of the lack of documentation I would not recommend them to anyone. Sure, the support is great when you ask, but we shouldn't have to ask and then wait for an answer, even if the wait time is very short.

ctaranto
03-30-2010, 07:43 AM
It's been well documented that VOIPo's documentation is lacking. :)

And as far as they've communicated, they're working on it.

-Craig

uhf
03-30-2010, 10:42 AM
Yeah, it's "coming soon". ;) But more important is rolling out a reseller program with no documentation for those customers either. :p

mikeb
03-30-2010, 03:57 PM
I wish Voipo would suspend all work on new features and apply all resources to redesigning the VPanel with integrated help/documentation!

stevech
03-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Anyone have a comment on the no-workie voice mail at the top of this thread?

stevech
03-30-2010, 08:30 PM
It's been well documented that VOIPo's documentation is lacking. :)
-Craig
Is "Lacking" a new synonym for "absent" ?

VOIPoTim
03-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Is "Lacking" a new synonym for "absent" ?

We actually have quite a bit of documentation for all the basics (including voicemail).

We do need to redo/improve it so it's more detailed and add in the BETA features, but all the basics are at support.voipo.com already.

It'll all be updated in the near future with additional stuff added.

stevech
03-30-2010, 08:45 PM
We actually have quite a bit of documentation for all the basics (including voicemail).Where is the fundamental how-to-use-voice mail? Not that I see on-line; not in the pages that came with the ATA.
Is it as simple as the place where the docs are isn't obvious? Heck, new user I am, I didn't know support.voipo.com exists! Not mentioned that I saw anywhere.

VOIPoTim
03-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Where is the fundamental how-to-use-voice mail? Not that I see on-line; not in the pages that came with the ATA.
Is it as simple as the place where the docs are isn't obvious? Heck, new user I am, I didn't know support.voipo.com exists! Not mentioned that I saw anywhere.

It's actually linked in the header of every page on the site.

I agree it needs to be improved and eventually the beta features added, but it does exist with the basics in it.

tritch
03-30-2010, 11:00 PM
So I conclude it's not me, it's VoIPo's voice mail isn't receiving or isn't detecting my DTMFs.

It sounds like your ATA may be incorrectly configured for DTMF Inband instead of AUTO. I would open a ticket with support to have them check it out.

Their support section on voipo.com has been updated with more info than what I remember before. It may not be very detailed, but the new FAQ's seem to address most questions including the voicemail features.

http://www.voipo.com/support.php

stevech
03-30-2010, 11:13 PM
It sounds like your ATA may be incorrectly configured for DTMF Inband instead of AUTO. I would open a ticket with support to have them check it outOK thanks. I did. I understand in-band versus out-of-band/SIP, etc. But whatever setting it has works with other IVRs but not VoIPo's Voice mail server. Odd, eh?

The DTMF method is whatever VoIPo wanted it to be. On other systems, changing to out-of-band caused problems with incompatible signaling systems for some routes or destination PBXes, etc. (I guess SS7 is a goner!).

tritch
03-30-2010, 11:42 PM
OK thanks. I did. I understand in-band versus out-of-band/SIP, etc. But whatever setting it has works with other IVRs but not VoIPo's Voice mail server. Odd, eh?

Actually, I'm a BYOD user and have my port 2 configured to DTMF in-band. I can definitely confirm that Voipo's voicemail system will not respond to in-band DTMF. Although, Tim indicated in another thread some time ago that their system had been reconfigured to allow in-band DTMF, it still will not work. I always have to use my phones on port 1 (which is configured for out-of-band) to retreive my voicemails. I have yet to call another IVR system that does not work with in-band......only Voipo's system doesn't.

stevech
03-31-2010, 12:17 AM
I have yet to call another IVR system that does not work with in-band......only Voipo's system doesn't.
I am using the ATA (HT502) that VoIPo sent, and it's locked.
So in-band/out-of-band is what VoIPo wants.

But it fails to work for ONLY their voice mail? Other IVRs do work.

There has to be some misunderstanding here.

tritch
03-31-2010, 12:38 AM
But it fails to work for ONLY their voice mail? Other IVRs do work.

Exactly.....that's why I suspect an in-band DTMF setting.

Voipo prefers to set their ATA's to out-of-band unless you have a reason to ask support to change it. Since you have a new ATA, it's possible the DTMF setting was not properly set to out-of-band when it was configured or provisioned. If support says it correct, you may have another underlying problem.

Check out post #4 from Tim in this thread:
http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1359&highlight=dtmf

If you call Voipo's voicemail remote number 832-838-7000 using your Voipo line (not your POTS line) and your DTMF works, but it doesn't work by calling 123 then an in-band setting is likely the culprit.