PDA

View Full Version : Second call does not ring other line.

Russell
04-03-2010, 03:55 PM
This has happened twice today. I'm on the phone on line 2. A second call comes in and line 1 does not ring. I believe in one case it went directly to voicemail and in the other case I got the call waiting beep on line 2 and could see who was calling, but line 1 was not "ringing". I've got a cordless handset on line 2 and a multi-line desk phone which handles 1 and 2 (and rings) and desk phone stayed silent. Anyone else see this oddity?

burris
04-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Do you know if the info was showing on the screen of line 1 even though it didn't ring.
If so, perhaps this is related to the audio problem that they claim port forwarding will solve..
Only a guess..

Russell
04-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Do you know if the info was showing on the screen of line 1 even though it didn't ring.
If so, perhaps this is related to the audio problem that they claim port forwarding will solve..
Only a guess..
No info on the screen of line 1. Btw, in the problem you describe the phone does ring - the caller-id is transmitted between rings so for stuff to show up on the screen the phone has to ring. The actual conversation (audio) comes via a different port (which they claim port forwarding will solve). This is different in that I never heard the phone ring.

I'm pretty attuned to this, when I'm the only one in the house and on the phone and a second call comes in I hear the phone ring (since I have multiple phones using both lines). I can tell you in this case my child was calling and I only heard the call waiting beep. And, no, the ringer of the phone on my desk is not turned off.

burris
04-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Since you know a call is coming in, even though it does not ring, I wonder what happens if you pick up the phone on that line. Does it connect?

I'm sure you went through the usual drill of re-booting.;)

Russell
04-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Since you know a call is coming in, even though it does not ring, I wonder what happens if you pick up the phone on that line. Does it connect?

I'm sure you went through the usual drill of re-booting.;)

Funny thing is I tried an experiment later where I made an outgoing call and then called in and all worked ok. The only difference appears to be (I believe) in the previous case both calls were incoming - the call I was on originated from outside as opposed to my reproduction when the call in progress was one I originated.

The RT31P2 rebooted itself yesterday - it does this every once in a while.