PDA

View Full Version : RT31P2 upstream to my D-Link router

mbnb
04-17-2010, 06:06 PM
I have been having numerous issues with VOIPo:

* Incoming calls go directly to voicemail at first attempt (and sometimes second attempt)
* Incoming calls that don?t go directly to voicemail will ring, but it is dead air once answered
* Outgoing calls will be dead air once answered. Second attempt to call the same number and the receiving caller has two calls coming into them simultaneously
* When we hang up, the caller shows that the call is still connected

I opened a ticket about a month ago which didn't resolve the issues and finally got around to opening another ticket today. I provided almost every configuration setting for my DIR-615 router and was given two suggestions:

1) open this particular range of ports in replacement of these older rules:

SIP Command Ports 5060-5080 TCP

RTP Audio/Command Ports 5004-65000 UDP

2) place the RT31P2 upstream to your D-Link router to place it in front of your firewall

I got tired of messing around with the port forwarding settings so I went with the second suggestion. I then made several test calls inbound and outbound and so far so good *crosses fingers*.

So as it stands, the path is now: Cable modem <---> RT31P2 <----> DIR-615 <---> Computers

My questions now are, what is the disadvantage (if any) to have the VOIPo router upstream from my router and firewall? Are there any security risks? Could this impact speed or performance to my internet connection? etc.

Thanks in advance.

holmes4
04-17-2010, 07:28 PM
I'll tell you that the RTP312 did not work for me at all in the spot you have yours - I'd get dropped calls, loss of connectivity and more. It worked much better behind the router. Theoretically, your new arrangement should be better as the adapter can manage its own QoS, but at least in my case it could not handle it.

chpalmer
04-17-2010, 07:48 PM
The qos the router supplies for itself has been known to slow down your general connection to its lan ports just a tad. But thats generally how qos in these products work.

Your cable modem is (generally) a bridge. That means that your RT31P2 is up against the internet and provided a public IP address from your provider.

Most DSL modems are shipped to also route your network. Thus putting an RT31P2 behind it will yield a natted address (usually 192.168.0.0/24) to its wan port.

Those having issues with dsl should make shure that their dsl modem is in bridge mode and that the RT31P2 is handling the pppoe login...

Since your directly behind a cable modem you should be good to go. ;)

voipinit
04-18-2010, 03:25 AM
...I got tired of messing around with the port forwarding settings so I went with the second suggestion. I then made several test calls inbound and outbound and so far so good *crosses fingers*...

You should be good with your ATA in front of your router, but when you were messing with forwarding ports, did you restart ALL the devices after a change and start them in the correct order (cable modem, router, and ATA -waiting 1 minute between each device).

mbnb
04-18-2010, 12:01 PM
You should be good with your ATA in front of your router, but when you were messing with forwarding ports, did you restart ALL the devices after a change and start them in the correct order (cable modem, router, and ATA -waiting 1 minute between each device).No, I didn't realize it was necessary to follow these steps. So far everything is working fine so I'll probably just leave it alone for now. Thanks for the info.