PDA

View Full Version : VOIPo EAST still being routed to CENTRAL?

MisterEd
04-22-2010, 06:48 AM
vPanel still showing CENTRAL. Is the problem from the 18th still going on?
http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=2364

burris
04-22-2010, 12:29 PM
vPanel still showing CENTRAL. Is the problem from the 18th still going on?
http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=2364

I don't have a problem with this.

Since the moment Tim re-routed us, the service hasn't blinked once for me.

I used to do my own provisioning for a long time, but now I rely on support to take care of it, and they seem to be doing a great job.
As I get older, I find my tweaking needs diminishing. :rolleyes:

MisterEd
04-23-2010, 06:16 AM
I don't have a problem with this.

Since the moment Tim re-routed us, the service hasn't blinked once for me.

I used to do my own provisioning for a long time, but now I rely on support to take care of it, and they seem to be doing a great job.
As I get older, I find my tweaking needs diminishing. :rolleyes:

I get 40-60ms pings and traceroutes to CENTRAL. To EAST is superfine, usually around 9ms. High latency usually = eecchhoo for me. Service is WORKING fine but QUALITY drops when using CENTRAL servers. I'm 200 miles from DC and at least 6x that to TX. You're probably equidistant between the 2.

lost
04-23-2010, 06:33 AM
I would prefer EAST too, as I notice now that CENTRAL calls are somewhat muddled compared to before. I'm in VA, but practically in DC (if you use the old 1800's border ;) ). Latency is about 10ms vs 50ms, so I do hope VOIPo fixes the issues with East and put us back on it.

Russell
04-23-2010, 06:45 AM
I'm sure from a load balancing standpoint they'd like to move us to East and will do so when they feel East is ready - and messages from you guys ensure that they've not forgotten about it :-).

sr98user
04-23-2010, 07:15 AM
SIP server just sets up the call. The voice traffic actually goes through the media gateway which could be anywhere in the country. If the voice quality is not good (echo, muddled, etc), its not due to the SIP server. Unless your voice traffic is proxied through the SIP server, which is not the case for most of the users.

Russell
04-23-2010, 07:49 AM
The voice traffic actually goes through the media gateway which could be anywhere in the country.

Yes, those "media gateway" which need 60K+ ports to be forwarded :-).

MisterEd
04-23-2010, 03:02 PM
SIP server just sets up the call. The voice traffic actually goes through the media gateway which could be anywhere in the country. If the voice quality is not good (echo, muddled, etc), its not due to the SIP server. Unless your voice traffic is proxied through the SIP server, which is not the case for most of the users.

Then why are they interested in ping times, trace routes and latency to the assigned server when there is a problem? The first thing that was done when I was having problems back in the beginning was to move me to the EAST server instead of CENTRAL because of better pings & traceroutes. My orignal problems were echos, delays and lousy voice quality which are the most common voip problems. I have a Fios 25/15 Mbit connection so it wasn't my bandwidth.

MisterEd
04-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Yes, those "media gateway" which need 60K+ ports to be forwarded :-). I just turned off all my VOIPo port forwarding to see what happens. So far it's been solid and I've had no loss of audio on any calls. I think the "fix" of my "no audio" problems were due to my Fios Actiontec router and not the port forwarding. I replaced the router with a Buffalo w/DD-WRT and it's been good so far.

JimDog
04-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Then why are they interested in ping times, trace routes and latency to the assigned server when there is a problem?Because the SIP servers set up the call between your adapter and the media gateway, too much latency could cause failed calls if something times out. It's also a good indicator of ISP problems in general.

MisterEd
04-24-2010, 08:45 AM
Because the SIP servers set up the call between your adapter and the media gateway, too much latency could cause failed calls if something times out. It's also a good indicator of ISP problems in general.

Maybe the most of the primary media gateways for EAST are clustered closer to the EAST servers and CENTRAL to the CENTRAL servers etc. I've never had failed calls, only audio issues, and was told by support that moving me to EAST servers should help since ping and traceroute were much better. Vonage did the same thing ... when audio was bad they would switch you to a different server.

sr98user
04-24-2010, 09:47 AM
Maybe the most of the primary media gateways for EAST are clustered closer to the EAST servers and CENTRAL to the CENTRAL servers etc. I've never had failed calls, only audio issues, and was told by support that moving me to EAST servers should help since ping and traceroute were much better. Vonage did the same thing ... when audio was bad they would switch you to a different server.

I am not sure why they would do that. My media gateway does not change when my SIP server changes. I think the media gateway is selected based on the area code and exchange. Unless your audio is proxied through the SIP Server.

tritch
04-24-2010, 11:19 AM
I am not sure why they would do that. My media gateway does not change when my SIP server changes. I think the media gateway is selected based on the area code and exchange. Unless your audio is proxied through the SIP Server.

Probably because the East SIP servers are connected on a private network to Dallas.

East is a little different since it connects to Dallas via a private network so it's rock solid in that sense.

I would think those having a more direct route (less hops/latency) to the SIP Servers in East would be preferred and cause less problems in general as opposed to connecting to the SIP servers at Central (Dallas) over the public network.

sr98user
04-24-2010, 11:36 AM
I think Tim was talking about the connection from the East SIP server to the Database servers in Texas. And West SIP server goes through public internet to Texas. But the traffic between the ATA and the SIP server (East or Central) always goes through the public internet.