PDA

View Full Version : Number porting complete?

hatchmt
04-24-2010, 02:42 PM
So yesterday was the scheduled date for my number to be ported over to Vonage. I made a test call at around 8:30am yesterday and sure enough, all of my inbound calls to my number are now being routed to my VOIPo adapter rather than my Vonage adapter. I am very pleased.

Aside from my testing of inbound calls, though, I haven't been notified by either VOIPo or Vonage that the port process is complete. Vonage is supposed to automatically cancel my account when the port is complete (according to what I've read in their ToS) but my account with them still shows up as active. Since my inbound calls are indeed going directly to VOIPo, can it be safely assumed that the port process is complete and I can call Vonage to cancel the service?

I'm just afraid that Vonage is going to drag their feet with the auto-cancellation until after the next billing cycle, forcing me to pay for another month. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'm not the biggest fan of Vonage and don't trust them very much... Your thoughts?

fisamo
04-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Historically, Vonage has not canceled accounts after a number port-out was completed. One likely reason Vonage didn't cancel accounts is that port-out orders are processed by the CLEC that services your phone# - Vonage may not even be aware when a port-out is completed. If their TOS indicate that they do cancel after a port-out, this is a change. IMO, though, you're best off taking action yourself...

My recommendation is that you log in to your Vonage dashboard and confirm that no inbound calls have come in on your number through Vonage since your port date. If you show no incoming calls, go ahead and have them cancel your account. By making the request to them explicitly, you will know the date of cancellation, and there's no room for them to bill you another month. Keep in mind that until your Vonage account is canceled, you are able to place calls from your Vonage adapter, so they will continue to bill you for service until the account is closed. Best of luck - I hear it's no picnic to get Vonage to close an account.

Russell
04-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Best of luck - I hear it's no picnic to get Vonage to close an account.
One "trick" is to move to their (Vonage's) lowest level of service as soon as you're happy with your new provider - even before you submit your porting request - providing your calling pattern can handle it. Remember, once you get your ATA from the new provider you can make all outgoing calls using the new ATA. That way even if they bill you for another month, you're paying at their cheapest rate.

MisterEd
04-24-2010, 07:46 PM
It takes a week or so to close your account. If the port completed today Vonage itself doesn't even know about it yet. If you are sure the port is done I would call and cancel rather than wait because the odds are if you don't it will cost you another month with them.

hatchmt
04-24-2010, 10:52 PM
If their TOS indicate that they do cancel after a port-out, this is a change.

I don't know what their TOS used to state, but this is what it says now:

Section 6.6a:
...If you ask your new service provider to port a number from us, we will terminate our service for that number promptly after we receive notification from our competitive local exchange carrier that the porting of your number to your new service provider has been completed successfully. We will terminate our service in this fashion even if you have not independently called us to request disconnection...

In any case, my account with them will auto-renew on May 4 unless it's cancelled first, so I'll go ahead and call them up just to make sure it doesn't renew. My main concern was whether or not the port was officially complete now that incoming calls go to VOIPo. I wasn't sure if there was anything else that needed to occur between the carriers before I closed out the Vonage account.

I appreciate the responses!

Russell
04-25-2010, 05:42 AM
My main concern was whether or not the port was officially complete now that incoming calls go to VOIPo. I wasn't sure if there was anything else that needed to occur between the carriers before I closed out the Vonage account.

I appreciate the responses!

For your peace of mind open a ticket with VOIPo asking if the port is complete and if it's OK for you to cancel you account with your old provider. You should receive a prompt response (presumably Monday).

hatchmt
04-26-2010, 12:43 PM
I went ahead and called up Vonage to disconnect my service. I was actually surprised at how much they didn't push for me to stay (she asked if she could present some alternative solutions to canceling my service, I said no, she said ok, and that was about it).

In any case, the cancellation e-mail from them stated that the phone number will remain portable for 30-days from today, so in the unlikely event that the number is not finished porting, it can continue in the process just fine. I'm about 100% sure the port is already complete, though.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.