PDA

View Full Version : Porting in a cell phone #

fisamo
04-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Can a mobile phone number be ported into Voipo? If so, can they be ported to any product (including local forwarded and virtual numbers)? If not, is there any ETA as to when this capability will be in place?

I ask, because last I knew, mobile phone#s could not be ported in, but Voipo was working to add this capability.

Thanks...

usa2k
04-24-2010, 08:38 PM
I expect the answer is YES for all cases.
Best contact support@voipo.com and they will easily confirm.

VOIPoTim
04-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Yes, we can port in cell numbers. We do need the cell account number and the last 4 of the social on the cell account. Best to include those on the LOA or send in e-mail with the LOA so no delays in contacting you for the info.

fisamo
04-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the update. I thought it was possible, but wasn't sure. Quick question on the last 4 of SSN - is that really necessary if the billing password has been changed on the account?

Also, these numbers could be ported in to the Express (local forwarded #) service, right?

VOIPoHunter
04-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the update. I thought it was possible, but wasn't sure. Quick question on the last 4 of SSN - is that really necessary if the billing password has been changed on the account?

Also, these numbers could be ported in to the Express (local forwarded #) service, right?
Yes, the last 4 of the SSN is required by the losing carrier for verification - This is standard process in all cases.

And yep, you can port numbers into any of our services except fax.

gyoung
05-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Any plans to support incoming SMS? i.e., SMS to Voipo number gets forwarded to email or an actual cell?

Thanks...

Russell
05-06-2010, 06:20 AM
Any plans to support incoming SMS? i.e., SMS to Voipo number gets forwarded to email or an actual cell?

Thanks...

Yes, I'd love to be able to receive and send SMS's from using my VOIPo number. On the receive side I can see it being routed to the email address where voicemails go. Ideally, replying to that email (if it has the right from address) will send an SMS back. Or, the ability to send from VPanel.

TFlap
05-13-2010, 07:06 PM

Thanks...
I too would appreciate this feature.

livepublicity
09-29-2010, 07:16 AM
Yes, we can port in cell numbers. We do need the cell account number and the last 4 of the social on the cell account. Best to include those on the LOA or send in e-mail with the LOA so no delays in contacting you for the info.

If the cell phone is prepaid (pay as you go) where no SSN# was needed?
what do you need in this case?

thanks

stevech
09-29-2010, 10:56 PM
I wouldn't think a pre-pay cell phone # can be ported

holmes4
09-30-2010, 08:26 AM
I don't see why not, but it may be more difficult determining what info is required to validate the request.

usa2k
09-30-2010, 02:37 PM
Since the first post was 4-24, I bet the number is ported by now.

fisamo
09-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Actually, the number hasn't ported in--I haven't initiated it yet, for a variety of reasons.

Tim mentioned the last 4 of SSN, probably because carriers have been slow to allow the user to customize their account password. Verizon, for example, allows (and I think encourages) customers to set a unique numeric pin to get away from the SSN verification. As for prepay, those numbers are portable, you just need to get the "account number" and "passcode". Some carriers use the phone# as the acct#, others require you to call CS and ask for it. (I'm not sure how the prepay carriers verify your identity.) As for passcode, some carriers use the last 4 digits of the first PIN you activate on the phone, for example. Others use the last 4 digits of the phone number (not exactly secure, but the passcode can generally be changed by calling the carrier's CS).

stankrugger
10-01-2010, 06:32 AM
I agree with you point of Some carriers use the phone# as the acct#, others require you to call CS and ask for it.

Zion21
10-22-2010, 12:34 PM
At least it can be done. I have been wondering about this for awhile. I guess i will give it a try with verizon. ;)http://rewardslink.info/flash/images/72.gif