PDA

View Full Version : Codec differences between BYOD and regular service?

hatchmt
04-25-2010, 09:23 PM
I'm not sure what's causing this, but I've tried several SIP clients (on my laptop and my iPhone). No matter which one I use, the receiving call quality sounds somewhat tinny (best I can describe it). It just doesn't sound the same as if I were talking using the ATA sent from VOIPo of if I were using other SIP providers on the various softphones.

I have an extra ATA sitting around that I can set up with the BYOD server and try with a regular phone, but I haven't had time yet. So, I'm wondering since I can't find it mentioned anywhere else:

Aside from the obvious priority should things go wrong, what are the differences between connecting to (for example) VOIPo Central and VOIPo BYOD? Are there differences in the codec used or anything, or is it just a matter of support?

Just wondering... I'm happy with *any* BYOD service (better than what I had before which was nothing), but I probably won't use it very much if the incoming audio keeps sounding the way it does.

...not that I'd use it a whole lot anyway -- it's more for when I'm not at the house for extensive periods of time...

VOIPoLucas
04-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Hi,

G.711 is the only officially supported codec on our network.

lifespeed
10-24-2010, 03:20 PM
There is nothing wrong with BYOD in general. In fact, if your ATA/analog phone combo suffers from echo or other problems, BYOD is better, assuming it is an IP-only device.

If your iPhone is 3GS or newer try Bria. Sound quality is great. If X-Lite on your PC sounds bad look at your headset/microphone.

I use all the above and have great results. Something is wrong with your setup.

hatchmt
10-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I started this thread six months ago. :) Everything's working fine now.