PDA

View Full Version : Who is your ISP?

energyx
04-26-2010, 05:15 PM
I have had VOIPo since moving in November 09. RoadRunner is our only option here and I wanted to see what others are using and having success with. My service was flawless from December through mid-March. (excluding any systemwide problems) As of late, and receiving a Grandstream ATA back in March, we have been having intermittent problems that at this point cannot be solved. ATA is connected to a Motorola SB4200 modem and I've tried different patch cables to rule out any physical issues.

I have been working with Tier II support and latest idea is that my pings occasionally going up to 150ms could be the cause, but I am at a loss since the call quality is fine and there is no packet loss. Usually calls will work fine for a few days and my tickets are closed, then the problems arise again.

I went with VOIPo for #1 price and #2 to keep our old number of 10+ years. I really want this to work, and I manage servers/networks for a living, but the WAF is not getting any better.

Anyway, back to the subject, who's your ISP and location?

Brody
04-26-2010, 06:43 PM
AT&T DSL, 3000/384 in S. Florida. Works well, with the occasional hiccup every 3 months or so. All in all, very pleased.

man
04-26-2010, 06:46 PM
RoadRunner in SoCal

15mbps down
1mbps up

http://www.speedtest.net/result/795408627.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

chpalmer
04-26-2010, 07:01 PM
Tried something similar to this a while back http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?p=14664#post14664

WaveBroadband here. Works fine!

burris
04-26-2010, 07:12 PM
I use ATT DSL in So. Florida and had been on 3/384. VOIPo worked OK but would really go crazy when trying to use the phone while doing any kind of downloading.
A while back, for $5 month more, I upped to 6/564 up and haven't looked back since.
I shuffled among 4 different routers with dd-wrt on and off and tried every iteration of QOS, but no help. Now, with QOS off, no matter how congested my lan is, no trouble at all.

Reason for spelling this out is to indicate that everyone has a different situation and for sure, one size doesn't fit all.

Russell
04-26-2010, 07:51 PM
Road Runner and now UVerse (3M/1M). NC. Yes, it can be frustrating when things work flawlessly for a while and then there are issues - I've experienced that more than once with VOIPo. Why did you have to move to a Grandstream? You've also not mentioned what kind of issues you've been having.

energyx
04-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Road Runner and now UVerse (3M/1M). NC. Yes, it can be frustrating when things work flawlessly for a while and then there are issues - I've experienced that more than once with VOIPo. Why did you have to move to a Grandstream? You've also not mentioned what kind of issues you've been having.

I got the Grandstream as a replacement for a Linksys RT31P2 that was stuttering and showing latency on its network interfaces. We are primarily having problems with incoming calls either going fast busy or dead when answered. It is in front of my router, so I don't know what else I can do to troubleshoot.

usa2k
04-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Was WOW! Cable(15/2), then Comcast the last 12 months(12/2).
Today it became WOW! Cable again(6/1). :)

Comcast provides Anti-virus Software otherwise the are somewhat comparable.
Just a zillion TV Shows to load in two DVRs again ...

WIFE'S
Grey's Anatomy
American Idol
As The World Turns
Royal Pains
Army Wives
In Plain Sight
Private Practice
Biggest Loser
Dancing With The Stars
CSI Miami
Two and a Half Men
The Good Wife
Brothers & Sisters
Modern Family
Ellen Deneneres Show
Cougar Town
Real Housewives/Orange County
Law & Order Special Victims
Married with Children
Rules of Engagement
Parenthood

MINE
Men of a Certain Age
House
West Wing
American Idol (with 30 minute past the end time)
NCIS
NCIS LA
Glee
The Good Wife
Law and Order Criminal Intent
Jag
Modern Family
Bones
The Mentalist
Medium
Royal Pains
Psych
The Closer
Leverage
Numb3rs
White Collar
Human Target

ctaranto
04-28-2010, 04:45 AM
Comcast (12/2). Waiting for FiOS to run lines down our street....

jlachowin
04-28-2010, 07:59 AM
I previously had AT&T Elite DSL, but started to have issues with it even pulling 5Mbps down, so I just had Road Runner Turbo installed yesterday. No issues so far, and it's very fast compared to DSL. The Time Warner tech installed a SB5100 cable modem. You might want to upgrade your modem energyx...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/797147358.png

http://www.pingtest.net/result/15718141.png

dlangley
04-28-2010, 08:07 AM
I had 3mb dsl from a local ISP for about a year and voipo was flawless. The minute I switched to comcast I started having problems. I havent complained to voipo because I've done my own trouble shooting and usually when a call gets dropped, messengers sign out, and some times the tv even goes out for 2-3 seconds. There are never any dropped packets but I have seen some 3000 ms ping times which I know isnt healthy for a voip phone call.
But its like I tell people, a few dropped calls are worth the $500 a month in savings.
On my dsl, voipo was as reliable as any landline service.

jlachowin
04-28-2010, 08:41 AM
dlangley, at that point I would call comcast and have them come out and check your signals. Any splitters before the modem?

scott2020
04-28-2010, 08:49 AM
I had AT&T DSL 6/768 for many years, and it was nearly flawless. I never got near that speed, but latency was good. Then they raised prices another $5 a month, combined with Charter giving free speed upgrades compelled me to make the change. Now I am on Charter 8/1 with 2 year price guarantee.

In my Asterisk logs I see at least once or twice a day where my SIP trunks are seeing high latency every now and then, which I didn't see on AT&T. It doesn't seem to hurt calls though.

holmes4
04-28-2010, 10:00 AM
I have what started out as Verizon FiOS 15/2 service. Verizon abandoned northern New England and sold their customers to Fairpoint, which renamed the service FAST. They maintain it but are not expanding it.

It works well for me with VOIPo - I was having a lot of trouble with Vonage, which Vonage blamed on my ISP, but I have no issues with VOIPo.

I suppose an advantage of an ISP which is struggling to stay out of bankruptcy is that they don't feel the need to interfere with their customers' use of the service through "traffic shaping" (cough - Comcast - cough).

ctaranto
04-28-2010, 10:20 AM
The Time Warner tech installed a SB5100 cable modem. You might want to upgrade your modem energyx...

If you're going to upgrade the cable modem, go with an SB6120 (http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB6120-SURFboard-eXtreme-Broadband/dp/B001UI2FPE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272471517&sr=1-1) which is DOCSIS 3.0 capable. Even if your ISP doesn't currently support it, it may in the future. I upgraded my 5120 (DOCSIS 2.0) to a 6120 and saw my download rates jump for 12Mbps to 17Mbps (Comcast in my area is DOCSIS 3.0 enabled). Though I'm still waiting for FiOS due to Comcast's traffic shaping schemes.

energyx
04-28-2010, 06:21 PM
I really don't want to buy my own modem since Time Warner gives me one with service (no extra rental charge). They are supposed to be going DOCSIS 3 in my market to compete more with U-Verse, so I may get a new one soon if I upgrade my speed tier. I don't think they'll give me a new modem unless I can prove something is wrong with the current one. Since my internet connection is stable I really have no recourse.

I did put the ATA behind an Airlink 101 AR430W running DD-WRT and have had no problems with it so far. I'll update if that changes.

stevech
04-30-2010, 09:26 PM
Motorola SB5100 cable modem. Works fine.
Address 192.168.100.1 yields displays from modem. One is signal conditions. Watching this over time will tell you if things go marginal due to a flakey coax or system problems on their side. Also compare to neighbors'.

My good norms are
downstream signal strength -8 dBm plus or minus 6. More negative is bad.
upstream signal 40dBm plus or minus 5. More positive is bad. This is the one to watch closely. If it gets into the 50s, you've got a flakey coax somewhere, or they do. Their cable system head-end controls the upstream signal strength - it asks for a stronger signal if their end is a weak signal. The downstream is uncontrolled- just affected by your coax/splitters and their offered signal.

The upstream is low frequency. The downstream is high. So a break or poor connection in the center conductor of the coax somewhere will affect the upstream more than the downstream.

There should be one 2-way splitter between your cable modem and the main coax entering the house. And that should be ahead of any whole-house amps you have.

A well trained (few are) tech from the cable co. should know all this and check it all. Even if they have to be pushed and prodded to crawl in the attic or under the house. Replace coax while there, just in case.

chpalmer
04-30-2010, 10:20 PM

My good norms are
downstream signal strength -8 dBm plus or minus 6. More negative is bad.
upstream signal 40dBm plus or minus 5. More positive is bad.

OdBmV is a better goal for downstream technically but your downstream SNR is also a pretty important number...

I always tell my clients to do three ping tests for me when troubleshooting...

ping the modem c:>ping -n 100 192.168.100.1 wiggle all your ethernet connections. Should be 1-2ms

Ping the modems gateway. c:>ping -n 50 <ISP Gateway> wiggle your rf connections and watch the screen... See if the wiggling affects anything...10-20ms avg. depending on system load. Anymore your area may be oversold...

Ping something far out there... use -n 50 there also and post em all.
20-80ms avg. in the nation.

If your signal levels are causing you issues, you will have packet loss between your modem and the gateway. But it doesn't matter if your not getting the packet loss. Your ISP is supposed to keep you within DOCSIS specs.

Look here for recommended signal levels. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5862 Notice the difference between DOCSIS standards and the recommended levels. My ISP was tighter until they needed to cut costs...

Look for issues throughout temperature swings that might affect your levels.

Keep in mind that the RF is generated from the nodes on the poles or shelters in you neighborhood. Brought there via fiber. Unless you live next to the cable co offices...

;)

Rstaib
04-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Lake Wales Wireless. Excellent service

http://saddlebaglakeresort.net/slr/data/images/LWW_PingTest.jpg

http://saddlebaglakeresort.net/slr/data/images/LWW_Speedtest.jpg

energyx
05-01-2010, 07:05 AM
Address 192.168.100.1 yields displays from modem. One is signal conditions. Watching this over time will tell you if things go marginal due to a flakey coax or system problems on their side. Also compare to neighbors'.

My signals are always -6 dBmV down, 39 dBmV up and 37-39 SNR. I doubt my signal is the problem. So far since I moved the ATA behind DD-WRT, there have been no problems. It makes no sense to me, but I'll update if we see any more anomalies.

Edit: To add, my pings to modem are 3.5ms solid, 8.5ms to the modem gateway and 25ms to Google's DNS servers.

chpalmer
05-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Edit: To add, my pings to modem are 3.5ms solid, 8.5ms to the modem gateway and 25ms to Google's DNS servers.Nothing wrong with that at all. Id be a little concerned with the 3.5ms to your modem if I was a gamer... Rule out the router by going direct and testing if ping times matter. Your modem just may be slower to respond to pings. But the 8.5ms to your ISP is something to be jealous of. ;) This would mean that if you truly have 3.5ms of latency to your modem then your gateway is only 5ms away...

If you have intermittent problems, watch it throughout the day.

When you went from your ata at the modem to the DD-WRT at the modem, you would have been assigned a new public IP address. Probably on a new gateway at your ISP. The other gateway could of had issues.

When my ISP was in its infancy, they had everything running from Windows boxes at the headend. The load balancing sucked and a small number of us were getting pretty good at using cloned MAC addresses from other computers on our own networks into our routers to get our gateway ip to change. We would actually get on DSLR and share the gateway info we were having success with. Not to say for sure this is your issue but you never know...

Pinging 192.168.100.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=63