PDA

View Full Version : Slow Caller ID

kbuck320
04-29-2010, 08:14 AM
Curious, I've never had Caller ID before Voipo.

It takes 3 rings to show up on my phone, which means we wait and wait until it pops up to see who is calling.

Is that my phone, or Voipo that causes the delay?

ctaranto
04-29-2010, 08:18 AM
In my experience, it usually shows up after the first ring. That's been the case with various phones and providers (both VoIP and POTS).

What kind of phone(s) do you have?

kbuck320
04-29-2010, 08:43 AM
I've had two ..Both Panasonic cordless. Just bought a new DECT system, so it's just a month old. Same problem with both of them.

Sounds like it's a phone issue.

ctaranto
04-29-2010, 09:46 AM
I've a handful of Panasonic phones (currently use a 5.8Ghz 3-handset version as a secondary phone system which also announces the name of the caller). Primarily we now use V-Tech DECT. Both appear after 1 ring.

Maybe there's something VOIPo can do on their side? I suggest you file a support ticket just to make sure.

holmes4
04-29-2010, 10:06 AM
CID is always (supposed to be) sent between the first and second rings.

VOIPoLucas
04-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Hi,

It's possible that some of the initial SIP traffic isn't getting to your device properly. Are you using a router with an SPI firewall?

kbuck320
04-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Damn. That was it. I use dd-wrt and disabled the SPI firewall. Sure enough, Caller ID came up with 1 ring.

I've been hesitant to disable that, since I was using that firewall. Amazing how you forward like 50,000 ports .. and even with putting the PAP2 in the DMZ .. you still don't have full connectivity without getting turning off the SPIf.

VOIPoTim
04-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Damn. That was it. I use dd-wrt and disabled the SPI firewall. Sure enough, Caller ID came up with 1 ring.

I've been hesitant to disable that, since I was using that firewall. Amazing how you forward like 50,000 ports .. and even with putting the PAP2 in the DMZ .. you still don't have full connectivity without getting turning off the SPIf.

Yeah, we see it everyday. Routers try to do everything these days vs the basics and cause a lot of issues.

ctaranto
04-30-2010, 06:28 AM
I know people keep knocking Tomato and recommend DD-WRT with SPI Firewall off, but I've had nothing but solid service for a month+ running Tomato with a few "tweaks". See my sig for details. There isn't an option to turn the firewall off in Tomato. At least for me, it just works.

I've had DD-WRT, and have had great luck with that as well, but I'm not comfortable turning off the only defence between the internet and my home systems (unless you cascade routers and hook all the systems to the internal router, which I did with DD-WRT, and also still do with Tomato just because I'm lazy and don't want to rewire things). :)

kbuck320
05-03-2010, 11:00 PM
I spoke too soon. The problem continues. But I am pretty sure it's the phone. I plugged in a hard wired phone, and the CID pops up in 1-2 rings. The cordless ones take at least 3 rings.