PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for FUTURE vPanel feature (re: Call Log)

MisterEd
05-02-2010, 07:37 AM
Please add Caller ID as a "line item" with the phone number so you don't have to keep clicking on numbers to see the caller-ID then have to click to close the dropdown with the info in it.

usa2k
05-02-2010, 09:00 PM
The information may not be available except for a LIDB dip.
The more CNAM displayed results in more cost.
I *think* that is why its done that way.

It would seem reasonable that each call with CNAM is paid for,
and could be preserved for that call record. I think VOIPo is
over cautious in compliance!

MisterEd
05-04-2010, 08:02 PM

Huh watcha say?

holmes4
05-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Vonage and Voicewing (RIP) both gave me the CNAM info in the call logs - I don't see why VOIPo can't.

burris
05-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Vonage and Voicewing (RIP) both gave me the CNAM info in the call logs - I don't see why VOIPo can't.

Since these dips cost money, how much did you pay Vonage vs. VOIPo?

bwarden
05-05-2010, 05:36 PM

If I look at the HTML source for my call history page, I see the CNAM results buried away already in DIVs, class popText, so they're not doing a query on click anymore.

holmes4
05-05-2010, 05:39 PM
I have not seen confirmation from VOIPo that it "costs" to provide this information.

JimDog
05-06-2010, 07:55 AM
I have not seen confirmation from VOIPo that it "costs" to provide this information.
Tim said it back in October in this post (http://forums.voipo.com/showpost.php?p=13932&postcount=5):
...we have to pay for every single name lookup from the real CNAM database. We (or any other provider) aren't allowed to cache or store that information or we can get fined and have our access to the database services to do the lookups revoked. So the only option is to lookup each one every time the info is needed and pay for each of those lookups.

MisterEd
05-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Tim said it back in October in this post (http://forums.voipo.com/showpost.php?p=13932&postcount=5): I believe that is referring to the lookups when the information is sent to your phone when someone calls you and not to when you click on the number in vPanel.

I don't think they are doing a fresh lookup when you click on the phone number in the call list. I believe that data is already there, just not right in front of you. It is way too instantaneous to be doing a fresh lookup.

usa2k
05-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Tim said it back in October in this post (http://forums.voipo.com/showpost.php?p=13932&postcount=5): Yes. That is why I said what I did earlier.

Thanks for finding the reference.

That was a short thread! http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?p=13932#post13932

MisterEd
05-06-2010, 08:00 PM
I still say it's much to fast to be doing a fresh lookup. It's instantaneous and no matter how fast a connection you have to a remote database there would have to be some amount of a delay to do the lookup.

So according to Tim in that other thread Vonage and the others are "breaking the law" for listing the name and number in the call logs in the subscribers own occount?

usa2k
05-07-2010, 04:15 AM
A TOS is not really a law.
Speculating: It would more likely get you dropped as a LIDB customer.

I bet Vonage has some written agreement to permit their usage. Perhaps VOIPo will hit critical mass that they soon can get a waiver for that kind of use? I don't know that there are many alternatives for LIDB.