PDA

View Full Version : VOIPo iPhone app

VOIPoLucas
05-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Hey everyone,

Hasn't 2010 been an exciting year so far? I personally think so, and I think now is a good time to write a little about something that's been happening behind the scenes at VOIPo lately.

VOIPo offers an excellent set of innovative features to augment the phone service that many of us depend on. It matters to us that we provide features that are not only practical for our customers, but also reliable.

A giant list of features with many or most having no practical use is of no benefit to our customers. Similarly, even the best features are completely useless if they lack consistency and reliability. This, of course, extends upon the common-sense approach Tim described in the State of the Union (http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=2347).

Accessibility is huge as well when thinking about VOIPo features - people aren't always near a computer when they need to enable do not disturb, listen to voicemail, or take a look at their call history.

In an effort to increase VPanel accessibility, we'll soon be releasing our VPanel iPhone app.

Here are a few screens of the work in progress:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1611613/voipoiphone1.png
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1611613/voipoiphone2.png
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1611613/voipoiphone3.png

features include [but aren't limited to]...

- Listen to your VOIPo voicemail on iPhone
- Delete or move messages to other voicemail folders
- View detailed information about your call history
- Add and remove incoming and outgoing call routing
- Configure failover and forwarding on your VOIPo line
- Configure your privacy settings: DND, caller ID, private call blocking

It's exciting to finally share a little bit of what's been going on at VOIPo. We'd love to hear any ideas, suggestions, and even complaints [once the app is released] for the initial and future versions of the app.

Thanks!

burris
05-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Nice presentation, Lucas

burris

Xponder1
05-05-2010, 05:29 PM
I do not have a iphone but very nice presentation

holmes4
05-05-2010, 05:37 PM
I'm looking forward to this.

Brian
05-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Very nice! Any plans to include a softphone feature? Also, any plans for an Android version? :)

myvoip07
05-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Excellent, looking forward to it. Is there a beta version we can install on iPhone?

VOIPoTim
05-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Hopefully in the next few weeks.

VOIPoLucas
05-05-2010, 08:28 PM
There isn't going to be a beta release for customers, at least not of this version. However, we're looking into some really cool features for future releases -- things that we would more than likely want some testers for. I don't know when that will be, and I'm avoiding even putting together a concept for it together right now to make sure that the initial release goes smoothly.

rcrcr
05-06-2010, 07:23 AM
Perhaps Simulring control/setup could be added to a future release of the iPhone app?

seeuhome
05-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Can't wait to use it!

dtrose
05-08-2010, 07:20 AM
When is an Android version coming?

Mike_TV
05-12-2010, 09:31 AM
BlackBerry version please or make the vPanel a little easier to read/navigate via the BB web browser.

wthart
05-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Nice..Can't wait!!

myvoip07
05-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Can't wait. Will it be possible to release before upcoming long weekend so that we don't have to carry our voip adapter whenever travelling out of town while on vacation.

Kaelin
05-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Looks nice. Too bad I just got rid of my iPhone. Android is so much better. Plus I'm a software developer and Android is much nicer to develop for.

wthart
05-24-2010, 02:27 PM
Any more news on this? Are we at the stage of waiting for approval from Apple? Or, are we not ready to submit yet. Just curious.

Can't wait!

VOIPoTim
05-24-2010, 02:46 PM
Still waiting on Apple...

Brody
05-25-2010, 09:55 AM
How about Android then? Bet you won't have to wait on Google... ;)

VOIPoTim
05-25-2010, 11:37 PM
We don't currently have any developers with Android experience, but it's something we've thought about for the future once we see how the iPhone app goes and if people really use it much.

tylerscell1
05-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Would this be available for reseller clients?

VOIPoTim
05-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Would this be available for reseller clients?

Too early to say. Depending on how it goes, we may be able to do an unbranded version of it for that.

VOIPoLucas
06-01-2010, 12:04 PM
To update everyone - on device testing is happening now. We're in the process of taking care of a couple minor loose ends, and this app should be submitted to Apple in a matter of days now. More updates as we have them :).

timreichhart
06-15-2010, 08:13 AM
hey voipolucas

are you guys coming out with a ipod touch version?

MisterEd
06-25-2010, 06:45 AM
iPhone ... yuch. How about and Android version? :)

lhortt
07-01-2010, 02:19 PM
iPhone ... yuch. How about and Android version? :)

+1 :)
Love my EVO!

normduquette
07-05-2010, 06:59 AM
Another vote for Android.

EVO 4g is AWESOME

rangermoore
07-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Screw iPhone it's Android all the way !!

normduquette
07-08-2010, 05:58 PM
A better use of resources would have been a mobile version of the website.

The greatest amount of good for the greatest amount of people, allowing most users to better Voipo access and control.

Have you even taken a survey of users to see what devices they are using?

I know more people with android variants, palm devices, and blackberries. Now that I think of it, I don't know anyone with an iphone.

Outside of good phone calls, the two biggest improvements to Voipo would be a better CP and addition of mobile site.

MNT
07-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Hi, I'm MNT; I have an iPhone. Now you know someone. :) Excited to get this app; any news on the status?

rcrcr
07-11-2010, 12:58 AM
Another Voipo customer reporting in. Hardcore iPhone user. And I use an iPhone softphone app with Voipo every day.

fergessen
07-11-2010, 09:52 AM
another iphone FAMILY here (multiple iphones.)

jlachowin
07-22-2010, 09:07 AM
I just got my iPhone 4, waiting for VOIPo App. Please update us!

wthart
07-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Yes, whatever happened in this? Please update us on the status.

ctaranto
08-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Another vote for Android (family all have Android devices).

Taubin
08-04-2010, 07:44 AM
I would LOVE an Android app if possible!

internet54
08-04-2010, 10:09 AM
^ Ditto! Android here.

VOIPoTim
08-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Yes, whatever happened in this? Please update us on the status.

The developer is still working out a few lingering issues. I am getting daily updates on it to make sure it's on track to get finished as soon as possible.

kodiak
08-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Another Android user here. I'd love to see this for Android.

I'm also a web application developer for a university. Lately there's been a lot of push for a "mobile app" for our school, but my team has been less enthusiastic about building something. This is how we see it:

Building apps means that we can only focus on one platform at a time (our team is only five people)
Building apps requires us to learn a new SDK (and possibly language) for each platform we embrace.
Building a mobile-friendly site allows us to target all platforms at once using our existing skill sets
We can use browser detection, JavaScript, and device-specific style sheets to deliver a mobile site that looks like an app.

We are moving forward on a couple of mobile-friendly sites right now. We figure that, if someone really insists on an app for the school, it will mainly end up being a web browser component set to load a specific mobile site. We feel doing what we know will get us much farther than trying to learn how to develop for every new fad phone that comes along.

That's just my two cents--but I'd really like to see something from Voipo that is Droid-friendly. :)

--Jason

adrienqa66
08-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Wow, sounds amazing.

I have a Blackberry... hopefully you've got a team member with a Blackberry.

I also think a mobile version of the site would be a great idea. However, I do think that the VPanel control panel needs to become more cohesive before it is "ported" to a mobile site version. -- As I understand it, there are plans to update the VPanel.

So, please consider making a Blackberry version!

Thanks!

myvoip07
09-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Any update on iPhone app?

ben_dash
09-23-2010, 01:00 PM
If you release the communications API, presumably it's using something like HTTP JSON/XML to talk to the vPanel web server, then I'd be interested in writing a Nokia n900 Maemo version of this iPhone app.

I have been thinking about writing an n900 app for exactly this purpose, so all I'm missing is the communications protocol rather than manually scraping the vPanel HTML for the data.

ptrowski
10-19-2010, 11:50 AM
The developer is still working out a few lingering issues. I am getting daily updates on it to make sure it's on track to get finished as soon as possible.

Any more updates coming? I would love to start using the app!

VOIPoTim
10-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Any more updates coming? I would love to start using the app!

I actually pulled this project. I wasn't really happy with how the development of it was panning out and decided that it was best not to continue at this time.

We may revisit it in the future, but for now it's off the table for now.

Looking at the big picture, I agree with some of the points made in this thread that it may be best to focus on a platform-agnostic mobile site instead of being more scattered with several potential platform specific ones.

We'll re-evaluate in the future and will look at a mobile solution in some form whether it's mobile site or platform-specific applications.

ptrowski
10-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Boooo!
It's understandable though. It's better to launch a solid product vs one you are not jazzed about.

bretski
10-22-2010, 08:36 AM
A mobile site makes perfect sense to me. Better to be phone OS agnostic if you're not going to develop for multiple platforms (although I'd vote for android ;) )

caseydoug
10-22-2010, 03:52 PM
FWIW, it is not hard to navigate VPanel just using the iPhone's browser.

ptrowski
11-02-2010, 10:15 AM
FWIW, it is not hard to navigate VPanel just using the iPhone's browser.

That's what I do currently but an app would have been nice to have...

Montano
11-04-2010, 02:56 PM
I would also love an iPhone app :)

Please reconsider Tim.

VOIPoTim
11-05-2010, 05:17 PM
I would also love an iPhone app :)

Please reconsider Tim.

We may revisit it in the future.

The original project was basically unsalvageable and definitely not something we could deliver to people.

Warus1
11-08-2010, 08:34 PM
DITTO, Blackberry version please

Wow, sounds amazing.

I have a Blackberry... hopefully you've got a team member with a Blackberry.

I also think a mobile version of the site would be a great idea. However, I do think that the VPanel control panel needs to become more cohesive before it is "ported" to a mobile site version. -- As I understand it, there are plans to update the VPanel.

So, please consider making a Blackberry version!

Thanks!

blully
04-03-2011, 11:48 PM
sweet looking app...and it has the fbtb feed too...so now since my S/N is on an apple app does that raise my geek status?

bernardshaw
07-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Dear Mr. Dick,
May I make a suggestion that I feel will solve most of the wants, needs and desires of your VoIPo Customers like myself?

Contact CounterPath.com and get hold of Bria. I am sure that they will re-skin the product for you at a reasonable cost. Then you just have to imbed the correct settings in the software. I currently use Brai on my iPhone and my notebook (through VoIPo). This solution already is available for Desktop (Windows, Mac, Linux) softphone, iPad , iPhone, and Android.

Can you also see if anyone has the correct settings for the iPhone mine is just a little choppy but otherwise outstanding.

I hope you said YES to my original question so the rest of the information wasn't a waist of time.

Regards,

Bernard Shaw

dl97ag
08-08-2011, 08:10 PM
FWIW as a non-VOIPo user (still under contract w/ PhonePower), PP has a decent iPhone app which is nice for checking voicemail and changing forwarding settings (am not much for making calls w/ it). Am considering moving to VOIPo after the PP contract is up, and having an iPhone app would definitely be a plus :)

Thanks for the consideration -
dl97ag

Tlbaker
10-12-2011, 12:30 AM
I cannot find this app I. iTunes. Do we actually have this app available to download. I am new to Voipo and the forum.

LoadStar
10-13-2011, 07:17 AM
There is no VOIPo app. It was canceled mid-development as apparently they deemed it unusable and the project unrecoverable.

Your best option is to use a third-party VOIP app with the BYOD settings available to you through the VPanel.

Tlbaker
10-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Thank you very much for your response. Will there ever be an app developed for this seize?

dtrose
10-25-2011, 07:29 AM
Tim -

Any timeline that you can provide for an iPhone app? It's somewhat difficult to navigate the full VoIPo.com site on an iPhone via Safari. Is this still in the works or on hold?

Thanks

LoadStar
10-25-2011, 09:42 PM
Tim -

Any timeline that you can provide for an iPhone app? It's somewhat difficult to navigate the full VoIPo.com site on an iPhone via Safari. Is this still in the works or on hold?

Thanks

Tim's post earlier in the thread (http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php/2398-VOIPo-iPhone-app?p=20235#post20235) indicates that the project was canceled and what was produced was unsalvageable and scrapped.