PDA

View Full Version : More problems

MisterEd
05-07-2010, 09:10 AM
More problems today .....

Lines going up/down all morning. ATA light go off, come on 1 line, both lines, line 2 line 1.

When lines are up can't dial out to anywhere ... no connect, just dead air. Things have been good for months, what's going on?

sr98user
05-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Service is fine here.. i was able to make calls this morning. I am on the east server.

caseydoug
05-07-2010, 11:08 AM
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24204049-VOIPoCOM-voipo-down

MisterEd
05-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Sumpinszup! (or down)

Back working now .....

bretski
05-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Definitely issues here yesterday morning. I tried to call my neighbor (a Voipo customer that I recommended to you) from my cell phone and got a:

"We're sorry, this number has been disconnected or is no longer in service."

This
is
not
good.

Russell
05-09-2010, 09:01 AM
Definitely issues here yesterday morning. I tried to call my neighbor (a Voipo customer that I recommended to you) from my cell phone and got a:

"We're sorry, this number has been disconnected or is no longer in service."

This
is
not
good.

I for one agree. Whatever the causes and issues with the public Internet, upstream providers, etc., for someone to get "this number has been disconnected or is no longer in service" when they call a valid number leaves a lot to be desired.

VOIPoTim
05-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Have you guys seen more issues since the sporadic network on those days?

Everything looks perfect on our end last few days and tickets are very low. I think the most I've seen in queue at a time is 10 the last few days.

Wanted to check in with those of you posting though.

tritch
05-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Have you guys seen more issues since the sporadic network on those days?

I've had a few quirky issues over the past few days, but nothing worthy of opening a ticket for. I just figured it had to do with lingering network issues.

1 outgoing local Houston call - dead air (no ring at all)
1 incoming call - phone rings, answered on line 2 but line 1 continued ringing, dead air
1 incoming call last night - phone rings, answered but dead air

I've had none of these issues for over 14 months until the past few days, so something strange is going on. Nothing has changed on my network/router with all required UDP ports open.

BYOD user connected to sip-central01

hines86fan
05-09-2010, 12:01 PM
I've been experiencing a weird phenomenon for the past couple of days. When someone calls the house and I answer - I get dial tone and the party calling gets either disconnected or sent to voice mail. It's a quizzer.
I'm wondering if it's a problem with simultaneous ring as I am able to receive calls from my cell phone (my simultaneous ring line).

dlangley
05-09-2010, 12:23 PM
I've had a few calls where you call and just get dead air and it usually completes on the next call

ctaranto
05-09-2010, 03:05 PM
I have had zero issues through all this. I hate to say things like this, because I'm basically dooming myself. But just want to post to say things aren't disastrous for everyone.

burris
05-09-2010, 07:14 PM
I'll risk sharing any doom, but I've been OK here as well...

MisterEd
05-10-2010, 06:03 AM
My line 1 down again this morning .... vPanel shows "no devices registered" yet my Line 2 is working fine.

The problem is that since my initial "startup problems" everything has been perfect since Mid February now all of a suddent things are getting flakey and I have to monitor my ATA all day. Telephone service should be something you should never have to think about like turning on your lights.

ctaranto
05-10-2010, 06:35 AM
Unfortunately, if you want "stable" phone service, you may need to go back to POTS. They've had what, 100 years, to work out the kinks? :)

With VoIP, as you know, there are many areas that can affect the connectivity, some you can control, some you can't.

What is your overall network topology, ISP, and, if cable, cable modem?

Russell
05-10-2010, 06:41 AM
My line 1 down again this morning .... vPanel shows "no devices registered" yet my Line 2 is working fine.

The problem is that since my initial "startup problems" everything has been perfect since Mid February now all of a suddent things are getting flakey and I have to monitor my ATA all day. Telephone service should be something you should never have to think about like turning on your lights.

If you have a cable modem, can you connect your VOIPo box (assuming it has router functionality) directly to the cable modem and see if your problems persist?

I can sense your frustration. Service for me worked perfectly for months with VOIPo. However, recently I've noticed flakiness and have started forwarding ports. Unfortunately, our call volume has decreased some - so I can't tell if all is well at present.

VOIPoTim
05-10-2010, 06:58 AM
If you have a cable modem, can you connect your VOIPo box (assuming it has router functionality) directly to the cable modem and see if your problems persist?

I can sense your frustration. Service for me worked perfectly for months with VOIPo. However, recently I've noticed flakiness and have started forwarding ports. Unfortunately, our call volume has decreased some - so I can't tell if all is well at present.

Just out of curiosity, did this happen around the time East had issues (we haven't moved people back to East yet...just no reason to). I'm curious if you and the handful of uers reporting issues had a bad connection to central?

Things have just been very quiet in general so it's odd that a handful people are still reporting issues, so maybe there is something in common like that.

Russell
05-10-2010, 07:19 AM
Just out of curiosity, did this happen around the time East had issues (we haven't moved people back to East yet...just no reason to). I'm curious if you and the handful of uers reporting issues had a bad connection to central?

Things have just been very quiet in general so it's odd that people are still reporting issues.

Could be - the time line in my mind is a little fuzzy right now. I know I was on East for a long long time with excellent service.

ctaranto
05-10-2010, 08:31 AM
I was on east until the herd was moved to central recently. I've been on central since and although the ping times to central are longer (for me), I don't want to mess around with something that's working...

MisterEd
05-11-2010, 05:56 AM
Unfortunately, if you want "stable" phone service, you may need to go back to POTS. They've had what, 100 years, to work out the kinks? :)

With VoIP, as you know, there are many areas that can affect the connectivity, some you can control, some you can't.

What is your overall network topology, ISP, and, if cable, cable modem?

While I agree mostly with that statement (after working C/S, LNP & Tech support for Vonage for 18 mos and had their service for 4 years I became well aware of it) I don't fully agree with it.

I understand there can be "issues" but how many are too many and what KIND are acceptable before questioning reliability? In the 1 1/2 years I worked for Vonage we had 2 full network outages, one lasting many hours and one about 1 hr. Call center sms was down as well yet calls kept coming in to the building so they went into the phone system and 10's of thousands of calls were queued up for hours. People just didn't give up. :D One time there was a fire warning in the building and 600 reps left and they didn't put an intercept on the incoming calls! With 2,000,000+ lines at that time you can imagine what went on.

In my last 2 years with their phone service after I left them I never had any problems except an occassional echo type of issue which I can accept.

Anyway, how much is too much and what TYPE of issues are acceptable. Those who use "how much one pays" as a reason for more reliable service are way off base.

To answer your question:
I have Fios 25/15 service (no modem), Buffalo router w/DD-WRT and the PAP2 plugged directly into the router. My physical network is not a problem (been building them for 25+ years so I have enough knowledge to not get in trouble there). Voipo started out messy for the first couple months then was perfect for the next 3 after replacing the Fios Actiontec router with the Buffalo/DD-WRT on 2/15 then problems started a few days ago. NOTHING has changed on this end and the only change in over a year was swapping the Actiontec for the Buffalo.

ctaranto
05-11-2010, 06:46 AM
So now my question is: What makes yours (and select others) connectivity flaky, and mine (and select others) not?

If I was having flaky service, I'd be as frustrated, if not more, as you. I did have flaky service, but was due to a bum PAP2T. It worked for about a week, then started randomly losing re-auth. One line, then the other, then both, then neither. It would change every 5 minutes. My wife was beyond frustrated and wanted to just get POTS. I'd spend every night for hours trying different things (routers, firmware, settings, etc).

I plugged in another PAP2T, and now it's solid.

Not saying it is your PAP2T, but maybe?

bretski
05-11-2010, 09:26 AM
I've been on Central for as long as I can remember. I will say that my service has been very flaky recently. I have to reboot my PAP2 at least every other day, now. Sometimes daily.

energyx
05-11-2010, 03:04 PM
So now my question is: What makes yours (and select others) connectivity flaky, and mine (and select others) not?

I would like to see a comparison of average minutes per month for those having intermittent problems vs. those not seeing any problems. Obviously, losing registration would happen to both heavy and light users, but what about other call issues.

When your spouse borders on the soft max of minutes most months, she is going to expose any intermittent issues much more often than someone using 300 minutes a month. Some people probably go entire days without using the service, but I know for a fact that never happens here. Just throwing that out here.

MisterEd
05-11-2010, 03:36 PM

Probably bad luck and too much free time to allow me to notice. :( :)

ctaranto
05-12-2010, 05:20 AM
My wife is a moderate to heavy user. Some how, she notices whenever anything happens to the service. The adapter is at the bottom/front of our TV console (in plain sight) which sits in the family room, which is right off the kitchen. Whenever I'm home, I'm always glancing at it to make sure all 4 lights are on. I also monitor the webpage status of the PAP2T from work. I can just as easily fire up my PAP2T perl script which monitors the connectivity every x minutes, but until I find a need to do so, I probably won't.

I just checked, both lines online, PAP2T up for 11 days. (We had a power outage 11 days ago)