PDA

View Full Version : VOIPo + DirecTV CallerID?

jlachowin
05-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Does anyone have this working? I have the Grandstream ATA and only use line 1. Would I be able to plug line 2 into my DirecTV DVR and have the caller ID work properly? I would love to sit on my couch and see who is calling and screen the call so I don't have to get my fat arse up!

:cool:

ctaranto
05-18-2010, 01:39 PM
I have D* (HR21-700), but haven't hooked it up to a phone line since I networked it over a year ago. I don't see why it wouldn't work but haven't tried it.

jlachowin
05-18-2010, 04:31 PM
It worked like a charm, didn't have a change a thing! Awesome!

tritch
05-19-2010, 12:56 AM
Yes, the CID will work just fine. I have my HR22 hooked up to Line 2 with no problems at all.

However if it's a HR2X series DVR, it's likely it will attempt to call Directv to check whether or not you have purchased PPV or to report your viewing habits (unless you've opted out). This is likely to occur even if your DVR is networked or not as mine did. When it attempts to call in, it may fail since Voipo does not guarantee that a modem call will work. If it does fail, the DVR may attempt to call again about every 90 minutes in a never ending cycle.

Just keep a close watch on your vPanel call history logs over the next 45 days and check whether you see repeated 1 minute calls to 800-531-5602 or 866-685-8469. If you do, this is indicative of failed modem calls and you will likely need to block these toll free numbers in your outgoing call route in vPanel to alleviate unnecessary minutes being used on your account.

To this day, my DVR still attempts to dial out every 90 minutes.....

More info: http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1880

jlachowin
05-19-2010, 07:40 AM
tritch, thanks for the heads up.

ctaranto
05-19-2010, 07:49 AM
And one of the reasons I don't hook up a phone line to my box. :)

When I had VoicePulse, I'd see these calls quite often (most of the time they'd go through fine). Got sick of them, networked it, and pulled the phone cord. One advantage of networking is the ability to remote schedule shows, using either the web interface or smart phone app.

jlachowin
05-19-2010, 08:55 AM
I already have my HR22's networked, I wanted the phone line in for Caller ID on the screen.

MisterEd
05-19-2010, 12:12 PM
CID Works fine for me on all 4 HR20's.

MisterEd
05-19-2010, 12:16 PM
And one of the reasons I don't hook up a phone line to my box. :)

When I had VoicePulse, I'd see these calls quite often (most of the time they'd go through fine). Got sick of them, networked it, and pulled the phone cord. One advantage of networking is the ability to remote schedule shows, using either the web interface or smart phone app.

You don't need networking to remote schedule shows (either from web or smartphone). That's downloaded from the sat. Networking gets you the (not really) OnDemand, MRV and Mediashare.

I have all 4 phone lines to my DVR's and they never dial out because once DirecTV senses your are networked the dialout is stopped. If it keeps dialing after networking you can call them and they are able to turn it off by enabling IPPV on each IRD.

holmes4
05-19-2010, 02:56 PM
My HR21 is networked and it never calls in - Caller ID works fine.