PDA

View Full Version : Where do put the box

themlruts
06-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Ok so here is my quetion. I have my voip box tha was sent from viopo behind my firewall. Now my question is that if i have it behind that filrewall with that cause a problem for the registration of x-lite? Does sip creditails reg with you local hardware or with the company? Should the box sit outsie the router?

themlruts
06-20-2010, 01:01 PM
so i figured out the box needed to be on the outside of my router. I just setup a dmz to pass all traffic. Now the question is should i keep the box there or should i keep it behind my firwall and open ports?

holmes4
06-20-2010, 05:46 PM
X-lite doesn't care about your box at all - it is communicating with the Voipo server.

fisamo
06-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Where to put the ATA depends on your internet connection and your preferences. If internet performance tanks every time you're on the phone, you'll probably want the ATA behind your home router but with good QoS priority (and most likely, ports forwarded). If you don't notice any problems with using the internet the way you want to use it, even with your ATA "outside" your home router, there's no harm in leaving it that way. You may even prefer to have it that way to simplify troubleshooting of the VoIP line (if there are problems) and to avoid setting up QoS and/or calls sounding wonky if your internet use spikes (e.g., gaming or if you initiate a large upload).