PDA

View Full Version : RT31P2 reboots at start of call

Russell
06-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Call my child. Her phone rings twice and the RT31P2 then reboots. Not only does it reboot but the phone lights go dark. I have to power-cycle the RT31P2 to get the phone lights to light up. Child calls in the meantime and gets voicemail. Wife naturally unhappy about all of this. Internet connection was rock solid during all of this.

fisamo
06-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Has this only happened once, or multiple times? To only your child's number, or to multiple numbers? Have you filed a ticket?

Russell
06-23-2010, 05:40 AM
Has this only happened once, or multiple times? To only your child's number, or to multiple numbers? Have you filed a ticket?
I've noticed it happen more than once. The reason I notice is that my desk has my phone on the left and the RT31P2 on the right with the desktop monitor in the middle and the computer is connected to the RT31P2. So, when I dialed the number, and it rang twice and then got disconnected I looked at the RT31P2 and it was exhibiting the behavior previously described. The child called back and got voicemail. Wife ticked off. I'm not sure if it'll help to open a ticket for these random events.

And, the VOIPo problems yesterday when my wife tried calling home and got "number disconnected and not in service" didn't help. I heard about it at bedtime too as there was something important she needed to communicate which didn't get done. And, when she called support they said it all looked good but they'd pursue it further and send email (never got email). Note I confirmed "number disconnected and not in service" from my work phone a couple of times (and she had also tried multiple times). Later VOIPo posted about network issues - but that was no consolation for my wife.

fisamo
06-23-2010, 11:00 AM
If you can provide call reference IDs for the calls where your adapter reboots, support might be better able to diagnose the issue. (I assume that if it connects enough to ring, you'd see the call in your logs.) Any chance you can exchange the RT31P2 for a PAP2? I understand not opening a ticket on the first event or two, but once you are sure enough that it's a recurrent (even if seemingly random) issue, it's definitely worth filing a ticket.

I understand and feel your frustration regarding 'number not in service' messages... I got one yesterday, as well (didn't file a ticket b/c it connected when I tried again).

Russell
06-23-2010, 07:48 PM
If you can provide call reference IDs for the calls where your adapter reboots, support might be better able to diagnose the issue. (I assume that if it connects enough to ring, you'd see the call in your logs.) Any chance you can exchange the RT31P2 for a PAP2? I understand not opening a ticket on the first event or two, but once you are sure enough that it's a recurrent (even if seemingly random) issue, it's definitely worth filing a ticket.

I understand and feel your frustration regarding 'number not in service' messages... I got one yesterday, as well (didn't file a ticket b/c it connected when I tried again).
My memory is a little fuzzy at this point, but I'm inclined to believe the call was not recorded in the logs.

I do have a PAP2T - with the PAP2T, I'd need to have an extra device in play, which I was trying to avoid with the RT31P2. If it reboots at the start of a call again, I'll consider opening a ticket.

The latest peeve from the wife - when she tried calling our virtual number from our home number she got a fast busy after several rings (instead of voicemail). You'll probably argue I should open a ticket :-). This happened a few days ago too. And, then stopped happening. Sigh.

fisamo
06-24-2010, 06:30 PM
You'll probably argue I should open a ticket :-).

Argue is such a strong word... :p

Seriously, though, you can't expect Voipo to fix a problem if they don't know it exists. Also, on a less happy serious note, you have to determine if they're meeting your needs or at what point these frustrations justify making a move. I'm not suggesting that you leave--that's gotta be your call (no pun intended). Overall, I've found Voipo to work well (albeit not perfectly). Most of the time, I don't think about it. But when the occasional "you have reached a number that has been disconnected..." on inbound calls occurs, or other minor 'oopses' occur, I do miss CallVantage a little. (I am saving a ton of $$ vs CallVantage, and Voipo support, when needed on rare occasion, has been much more responsive.)

usa2k
06-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Kinda wonder if rebooting could be the wrong power supply connected?
Is it 12V 1000mA?

Russell
06-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Argue is such a strong word... :p

Seriously, though, you can't expect Voipo to fix a problem if they don't know it exists. Also, on a less happy serious note, you have to determine if they're meeting your needs or at what point these frustrations justify making a move. I'm not suggesting that you leave--that's gotta be your call (no pun intended). Overall, I've found Voipo to work well (albeit not perfectly). Most of the time, I don't think about it. But when the occasional "you have reached a number that has been disconnected..." on inbound calls occurs, or other minor 'oopses' occur, I do miss CallVantage a little. (I am saving a ton of $$ vs CallVantage, and Voipo support, when needed on rare occasion, has been much more responsive.)

Yes, the number disconnected or not in service is the most disconcerting thing about VOIPo service. The sad part is the loss of confidence - for every time the wife or I notice it, one wonders how many other times it has happened to others trying to call us. The recent frustration was three different sort of glitches three days in a row all of which the wife noticed - and results in cracks from her about the cheap phone company I've signed up with. Other than the router rebooting, the others were VOIPo side issues.

Price-wise and feature-wise VOIPo is tough to beat, but I just wish the reliability were better. But, I need to be realistic given what I'm paying for the service. Lets say if I was paying Vonage prices, I'd have left a long time ago (I was a Vonage customer in a previous life - all I remember is solid service).

Russell
06-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Kinda wonder if rebooting could be the wrong power supply connected?
Is it 12V 1000mA?
Yes, just checked and it is.

usa2k
06-25-2010, 12:50 AM
It was worth a shot. Sometimes many similar supplies can lead to getting mixed by accident.

Russell
06-25-2010, 05:14 AM
It was worth a shot. Sometimes many similar supplies can lead to getting mixed by accident.

I've also noticed that attempting to connect to the RT31P2 can get it to reboot.

ctaranto
06-25-2010, 07:00 AM
If that's the case, it sounds like it's either drastically mis-configured, or it's dying a slow death.

usa2k
06-25-2010, 07:48 AM
Or you have a loop.

I had weird things a few years ago where I hooked a router wan back to a switch. The switch was on the WAN side, so that made things crazy!

That is related to "Loops and Spanning Trees" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanning_tree_protocol) and only hi-end routers/switches can usually safeguard for that.

Most home networks are simple enough that this is unlikely. I had about 12 headless LINUX machines under my stairs booting from the network. It was a messy setup.

fisamo
06-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Can you get a different ATA? There are other models that offer router functionality along with VoIP lines. Doesn't Voipo allow provisioning of certain Grandstream models now?

Russell
06-26-2010, 07:45 AM
Can you get a different ATA? There are other models that offer router functionality along with VoIP lines. Doesn't Voipo allow provisioning of certain Grandstream models now?

Let say it's a minor irritation. If the irritation increases I'll get the PAP2T online.