PDA

View Full Version : Twitter?

gls101
06-23-2010, 12:09 AM
I put in a ticket that my TA was intermittent today, and got a response from Tim that it was a system problem, and that Voipo sends out announcements about these types of problems on Twitter.

Since he closed the ticket, I wasn't able to reply, so I'll do it here.

It should be realized that not everybody uses Twitter (and given the recent spate of privacy issues that have taken place there, I probably never will).

I _THOUGHT_ that was one of the purposes of this forum, and before submitting my ticket, I checked the Announcements and Residential Services Areas, to see if there were any reported problems. There weren't, so I submitted a ticket.

In the future, would it be possible to post system problems here also? I know Twitter may be easier for Voipo, but it's definitely not easier for ME.

Gary Sanders

burris
06-23-2010, 02:51 AM
I think you can access and read the VOIPo Twitter reports without registering.

As an aside, I too would never get involved with the Twitter/Facebook world, as it is of no interest to me to discover what my "friends" had for dinner or what they like or dislike. If I need to know, I ask them. The privacy issue is of no consequence to me, but the precious time available to me is of prime importance and this is not the direction it wants to go.

holmes4
06-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Yes - you can read Twitter without joining.

ctaranto
06-23-2010, 08:18 AM
I joined Twitter just to get the VOIPo feeds texted to my mobile phone. That way I know whenever there are issues in real time (as real time as the postings on Twitter are). Other than that, I never use Twitter nor Facebook.

Joining Twitter for the purpose of getting these feeds is worth it. And I'm in the camp that Twitter and Facebook are lame and only those that "follow the herd" join (which, unfortunately, is a great number of people).

mikeb
06-23-2010, 02:23 PM
In the future, would it be possible to post system problems here also? I know Twitter may be easier for Voipo, but it's definitely not easier for ME.

I think the purpose of using Twitter for service interruption announcements was to provide a communication source that is not affected if Voipo has a catastrophic failure that disables the Voipo web site and the Voipo forum.

I don't own a cell phone and have never used Twitter to send messages, but I do subscribe to the RSS feed from Twitter for Voipo announcements. The Voipo announcements arrive in my Outlook mail just like other emails.

stevech
06-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Voipo sends out announcements about these types of problems on Twitter.
NOTE: most fortune 500 companies, my employer included, block ALL social web sites for security reasons. Including twitter, facebook, webmail from google and yahoo, and so on.

That's the way it is and they a'int gonna change,

scott2020
06-24-2010, 07:49 AM
Same here. We block all social networking and we are just a small place in a rural area. Most organizations block that stuff for a number of reasons.

If I suspect something is going on with VOIPo I first check here, then DSL Reports. Sometimes the VOIPo website is down too, so that is why they started using twitter. I never check twitter unless something is posted at DSLR that says to check twitter... ;)

I won't subscribe to twitter because I have no use for it, but I will put the VOIPo twitter page in my favorites to have a quick look if I think something is wrong. If I'm at work, I'll never know what is going on because twitter is blocked.

ctaranto
06-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Oh the wonders of running an SSH server at home, and tunneling from work.. :)

Russell
06-25-2010, 05:08 AM
Same here. We block all social networking and we are just a small place in a rural area. Most organizations block that stuff for a number of reasons.

If I suspect something is going on with VOIPo I first check here, then DSL Reports. Sometimes the VOIPo website is down too, so that is why they started using twitter. I never check twitter unless something is posted at DSLR that says to check twitter... ;)

I won't subscribe to twitter because I have no use for it, but I will put the VOIPo twitter page in my favorites to have a quick look if I think something is wrong. If I'm at work, I'll never know what is going on because twitter is blocked.

For those of us for whom social networking is blocked, there are only so many
options. Plus internet usage is monitored, so I minimize my usage of both non-business calls and internet.

ctaranto
06-25-2010, 06:58 AM
For those of us for whom social networking is blocked, there are only so many
options. Plus internet usage is monitored, so I minimize my usage of both non-business calls and internet.

Just tell them you're downloading service packs and patches for some Microsoft product. They release them every day. :)

I don't think I'd survive in a company that was "big brother"ing me. Not that I abuse the system, but all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

holmes4
06-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Hmph. I work for a Fortune 100 company and we don't block social networking sites.

But a web host I use does maintain a "status" page that is entirely independent of their network where one can go if there are problems.

stevech
06-26-2010, 01:42 AM
Just tell them you're downloading service packs and patches for some Microsoft product. They release them every day. :)

I don't think I'd survive in a company that was "big brother"ing me. Not that I abuse the system, but all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.Mine, with 45K employees, and doing security work, really doesn't want a tenth of one percent of bozos fanning out viruses or showing up on stupid services with a company-attributed IP address. They use websense too, but don't block legitimate web sites, where legitimate is defined by websense.
I need my paycheck, and there's a zero tolerance policy.

Russell
06-26-2010, 07:53 AM

I don't think I'd survive in a company that was "big brother"ing me. Not that I abuse the system, but all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Not really big brothering. I love the company I work for and for professional reasons prefer not to mix business with pleasure. I've seen how easily it is for me to get distracted and hence like to minimize my non-business use of the Internet at work. If VOIPo doesn't work during the day and I have an upset wife I try to minimize my Internet access to seek information.

stevech
06-27-2010, 08:39 PM
It seems that more than one VoIP companies put their customer-facing web sites in the same hosting center that they use for backbone Internet access.

Not a good idea, due to single point of failure and lose even a billboard for network restoration status.