PDA

View Full Version : Grandstream 502 kind of stinks

scott2020
07-26-2010, 10:21 PM
I have been playing with a Grandstream 502 on my Asterisk system just for grins. I have it running the latest .63 (I think) firmware from their site. I noticed the network light blinking a lot on it but thought nothing of it. My web surfing was painfully slow tonight, so I started running speed tests and was seeing only 1.5 megabit where I should be getting 10. I unplugged the 502 from my network, and immediately my speed went back up to the 10 meg I usually see.

I am running a Linksys router with DD-WRT latest version on it. I was not using the 502 as a router or firewall at all. It only had 1 network port plugged in to only serve as an ATA.

My Linksys ATA and Cisco ATA 186 work great. I'm not impressed with this Grandstream stuff.

Scott

usa2k
07-27-2010, 05:15 AM
How are they connected?
Asterisk => FXS => Grandstream 502 => Linksys DD-WRT Gateway/Router
Asterisk => Linksys DD-WRT Gateway/Router
Cisco ATA 186 =>

What kind of FXS, or is this a BYOD configure of Grandstream?

"My Linksys ATA and Cisco ATA 186 work great"
You have a 3rd ATA from Linksys too?

I guess I am confused.

scott2020
07-27-2010, 08:58 AM
This is a personal 502 connected to my personal Asterisk server. The 502 is plugged into a switch port on my Linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT, and so is my Asterisk box. My ATA-186 is also plugged into the WRT54G talking to the same Asterisk box.

I'm not sure what the 502 was trying to do, but it was transmitting something and causing problems. Unplugging it immediately fixed my speed issue! I don't know how far I want to go with troubleshooting, since my opinion of Grandstream probably should not be repeated ;)

I had a lot of problems with the 502 disconnecting from the network, and I even captured trace logs and packets and put it in a ticket I opened with them. They told me switch out the power supply, and then started ignoring me. The ticket has been open since March and they simply stopped responding.

voipinit
08-29-2010, 04:45 PM
I have been running my 502 behind my router for well over a year now with no problem (current firmware .63).