PDA

View Full Version : Problem Calling Local Numbers

Roxor+2009
08-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Is anyone else experiencing call connection issues? I have been unable to connect a call to several local numbers - same area code, even the same prefix in cases as my own. I can dial the number but I hear nothing other than static or silence instead of a ringing tone. Curiously enough, I have no problems calling our cell phones (same area code) that are on the AT&T network.

This has been happening for the last few weeks and only with local numbers. Any number dialed long-distance or toll free seems to connect with no issues.

I am frustrated with this - if VOIPo support is reading, I do have a ticket opened for this matter.

-Roxor

usa2k
08-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Hopefully the ticket includes "Call Reference ID" examples from your call history. I am betting its unique to you or your exchange.

kodiak
08-05-2010, 10:35 AM
I've had this issue when calling the Thai restaurant down the street. I dial and the line goes dead--no ring, no answer, nothing. The call is evidently connecting, though, because once they called me back after I tried to call them three times unsuccessfully.

I don't make many outbound calls from my home phone, so I haven't noticed a pattern, but I'll keep an eye on things and start reporting call ids to support if I continue to see it happen.

--Jason

kodiak
08-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Just experienced this again when trying to call in to my work voicemail from home. I tried with the regular phone, a softphone on my home network, and a softphone on my cell phone over Verizon's 3G network and all calls just had dead air. I'm off to log a ticket...

--Jason

Roxor+2009
08-09-2010, 01:16 PM
OP here -

Problem still occurs. Support applied multiple treatments to various numbers in my call history. However, every OTHER line in the local exchange cannot be connected. Phone rings, then dead air. This is EXTREMELY frustrating. I cannot possibly be expected to create a support ticket for every single phone number I call locally that is not connected.

Surely there is a way to look at the connection between me and my local provider - hopefully, a fix can be applied at that level. Right now, it's like playing whack-a-mole and the spouse is not pleased.

Anyone out there listening? I've opened *another* ticket today.

Very frustrating.

MisterEd
08-09-2010, 09:20 PM
OP here -

every OTHER line in the local exchange cannot be connected.

Curious as to exactly what that means? 4000, 4002,4004 works but 4001, 3 & 5 don't?

Roxor+2009
08-10-2010, 07:23 AM
>> Curious as to exactly what that means?
>> 4000, 4002,4004 works but 4001, 3 & 5 don't?

Yes - that is correct. I can call 555-1212 just fine, but 555-1213 doesn't work. I have no idea if 556-1212 doesn't work - I simply do not make enough local calls to have a complete dataset to analyze. My simple expectation is that when I pick up the phone and dial a number, I need it to be connected. Right now, that expectation is not met for the telephone numbers that are local to my home location that I have recently called.

Here is what I don't understand:

When I have reported an exact telephone number that cannot be connected, I put it in a support ticket and the support team then applies configuration that allows me to dial the number. Problem solved. SO clearly, there is a solution.

However, this seems to be on a number-by-number basis. Surely there is a way to apply the same fix at a more macro level?

Hopefully, this makes sense.

MisterEd
08-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Definitely seems odd ..... or even as the case may be. :p Fortunately I haven't experienced that (yet) although I don't call too many local numbers. While I have had my share of problems things have been good recently.

<knock plastic, wood, metal and anything else I can find>

voipinit
08-11-2010, 03:39 AM
Does if fail also if you dial the full 10 digit number (area code and number). Might be worth testing.

Roxor+2009
08-12-2010, 07:01 AM
Does if fail also if you dial the full 10 digit number (area code and number). Might be worth testing.

Affirmative - we only dial 10 digit numbers. The numbers we have called in the local area are not connected.

kodiak
08-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Support was able to fix it for me, or at least it appears they did. I sent them a list of call IDs that didn't connect. The level 1 tech who first answered my ticket asked me to check my router port rules even though I mentioned in the original message that I was having the issue with both my local phone and with a soft phone on my cell carrier's 3G network. After I pointed this out a second time I was very quickly escalated to level 2.

The level 2 tech asked if I had any additional call records that gave me issues that I could share. I called a number of numbers at work last Sunday afternoon, none of which connected. Last Monday I did some additional soft phone testing while I was at work and everything seemed fine. That evening I was able to verify everything was working again.

I asked in my final reply to the ticket for an exaplanation of what was wrong (mostly out of curiosity as I am IT guy and that kind of detail interests me). I was told it was an issue with an upstream provider.

--Jason

man
08-31-2010, 10:49 AM
Support was able to fix it for me, or at least it appears they did. I sent them a list of call IDs that didn't connect. The level 1 tech who first answered my ticket asked me to check my router port rules even though I mentioned in the original message that I was having the issue with both my local phone and with a soft phone on my cell carrier's 3G network. After I pointed this out a second time I was very quickly escalated to level 2.

The level 2 tech asked if I had any additional call records that gave me issues that I could share. I called a number of numbers at work last Sunday afternoon, none of which connected. Last Monday I did some additional soft phone testing while I was at work and everything seemed fine. That evening I was able to verify everything was working again.

I asked in my final reply to the ticket for an exaplanation of what was wrong (mostly out of curiosity as I am IT guy and that kind of detail interests me). I was told it was an issue with an upstream provider.

--Jason

Interesting thread

I'm having the same issue calling local numbers and no issues calling my cell.

Some time ago, I've had the same issue calling toll (800,866) numbers. I think the 800 number issue is still there. I learned to use another sip line for 800 numbers instead.

I've always chalked it up to being on the BYOD server but it sounds like it may not be isolated to just that sever.

Thanks for sharing, at least I know I wasn't the only one w/ this issue :rolleyes: 8)

dtrose
08-31-2010, 02:05 PM
I have had this issue as well and as most recent as this morning. I report number by number the ones thaqt go to "dead Air" to support. They fix it and then a couple of days pass with everything working. Then another new number can't be dailed and a support ticket has to be submitted.

dtrose
09-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Have had this occur two more times the last couple of days. I update my original ticket, alert VoIPo of the number with the dead air, they "re-route" that number and then all is good.

VoIPo Staff -

Why are these random numbers having to be continually rerouted? :mad:

patoka
09-08-2010, 12:02 PM
had the same issue last week, every time I called a local number it rang and rang, but if I hung up and dialed on my POTS line it would answer. It cleared up the next day.