PDA

View Full Version : Just another pre-sales question

gmt
08-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Firstly, thanks to all who responded to my previous question (http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=2532), very helpful.

I currently split my time between DC and Alabama, and I'm trying to consolidate to one service provider. Currently, the Alabama address is just a pots line, while I'm using future nine at the DC residence. Even though I spend more time at the DC address, the phone is used (relatively) much more at the 'bama residence -- if on a voip pay as you go plan, I'd estimate usage somewhere in the $4.00 - $5.00 range. My DC usage has averaged ~$2.00 per month since I joined. F9 service is fine, but they just don't have the feature set that I need, and VOIPO does. But with only $2.00 per month usage, I can't justify a switch to an "all you can eat" (practically) plan.

Can one of your accounts be combined w/ 2 separate dids or vns utilizing 2 separate atas at 2 separate addresses? If it could it would definitely be worth my while to switch.

Thanks for any ideas or insight that anyone can provide.

usa2k
08-07-2010, 03:45 PM
You can use a second device with BYOD credentials and they could both ring, and you answer fro which ever one gets it first.

If you used a Virtual Number and did the Upgrade Line #2 to use that number. The VN on the second phone port with the VOIPo ATA could be at one location.

Using BYOD on an ATA you supply, the main number could be used at the second location. They would be like two independent phones with their own Voice Mail, Contact Lists, and routing rules.

So yes, that is possible.

Also note the Virtual Number is an extra $24/yr or $3.95/month and it is part of the 3000 softcap minutes of your virtually unlimited minutes. Calls between the two numbers, like calls to other VOIPo accounts and toll free numbers would not count in the VOIPo auditing.

caseydoug
08-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Also, you wouldn't be able to make international calls from the BYOD line.

While the BYOD line (primary number DID) can be operated in a different location from the VOIPo ATA, the add-on line(2nd number DID) must be in the same location as the VOIPo ATA. In other words, one location would have the VOIPo ATA running both your primary and add-on lines, and able to make international calls, while the other location would have a BYOD ATA running your primary line, and unable to make international calls.

usa2k
08-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the further clarification caseydoug!

gmt
08-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Hello again and thanks for the responses. It looks like this might work, but I want to clarify a few more things before I make the leap.

If I understand correctly, I'll have to use a VOIPo provided ATA at one of the locations -- i.e. I won't be able to use a BYOD at both locations, correct?

If that's the case, and the primary # DID is DC but the physical location of the VOIPo ATA is Alabama, will I be able to use only port 2? I don't want the DC # to ring in Alabama, and vice-versa. If that answer is a negative, is there a another workaround that'll let me do that?

Another thing that's not clear is whether I need 2 actual DIDs and the virtual #, or only one actual DID and the virtual #.

Finally, I make zero intntl calls, so that's not an issue, but what about 911?

Again, thanks for taking the time to help -- much appreciated.

usa2k
08-08-2010, 12:48 PM
I *think* you are OK.

BYOD cannot call long distance, and can only be the primary number on an ATA or softphone you supply.

Uh-OH!!!

E911 Information
This is an addon line. E911 information is managed in your primary account.

The upgraded line will have the same E911 as the primary line.
I guess that is the one fatal flaw :(

IF

you are only at one location at a time, you can just change E911 as the location moves.

gmt
08-08-2010, 01:00 PM
"BYOD cannot call long distance..."

What, exactly, is considered long distance?

gmt
08-08-2010, 01:04 PM
and,

I'm pretty sure I'll only be at one location at a time.;)

But if some else is there, could be a problem.....

usa2k
08-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Sorry. I meant international.

Canada and USA is part of the plan. There is even 60 minutes of included international calling to certain countries that is not allowed via BYOD.

gmt
08-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Great. Thanks for the clarification on that.

So, I port in the primary DID for DC, then upgrade the "clone line" to a virtual # (port of the current Alabama #), correct?

fisamo
08-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Great. Thanks for the clarification on that.

So, I port in the primary DID for DC, then upgrade the "clone line" to a virtual # (port of the current Alabama #), correct?

Pretty much. You may have to submit a ticket to order the virtual number, though, since you're porting that number in. The virtual number ordering process doesn't present the option of porting in to a virtual number. Once you have confirmation that the VN is ported in, upgrading the second line to work on the VN is a few clicks in vPanel.

caseydoug
08-09-2010, 07:25 PM
and,

I'm pretty sure I'll only be at one location at a time.;)

But if some else is there, could be a problem.....

If I understand you correctly, you will have the VOIPo ATA in Alabama with your telephone(s) connected only to port 2 so that only your secondary number rings there. Your BYOD device and primary number will be in D.C.

If I were you, I would confirm that 911 from the soft phone/BYOD device will be operative, and that you can make effective changes to the 911 response location as you move back and forth between your two residences. The soft phone/BYOD is intended primarily to facilitate traveling. I don't know whether 911 will work through the BYOD server. Moreover, I don't know how long it takes after you update your 911 address information for the new location to be effective. It may work instantaneously, but it may not. Because safety is involved, it might make sense to ask VOIPo first.

Also, you may forget to update the information as you move back and forth. In addition, if someone is staying at one house while you are at the other, that person will have no 911 service. Will you remember to warn him or her? Give some thought to whether the cost savings are worth the added risks.

usa2k
08-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Another thought.

If you carry the device between places, you could use port#1 in one location, and port#2 when in the other, and save the cost of an ATA.