PDA

View Full Version : Convert POTS to VOIP

alanmeyer
09-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Hello,

I recently signed up for Voipo. Other than some noise issues just after the installation (resolved), it is working well.

When I signed up, I decided to keep my existing AT&T POTS number. So, I have this new number with voipo that is my new main home number, and I want to get everyone that I know to stop using the old number and move over to my new number. I know that this won't happen overnight, so I am considering moving my AT&T number over to voipo as a virtual number.

My issue is that I don't want to keep my old number forever; I want to keep it for say 12 months and then release it. So to facilitate that transition, I will need a *separate* voice mail for that line so that I can leave the outgoing message as "Hi, this is my old number, please dial xxx instead.". One option is to keep AT&T, but that's the most expensive route.

If I have Voipo move my old number over, will I get separate voice mails for the 2 lines, and will I be able to cancel the AT&T number after, say, 12 months?

Is what I described my best option? BTW, my wife says "just cancel AT&T and forget about the old number", which I'm also considering at this point.

Thanks in advance,
-Alan

VOIPoBrandon
09-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Alan,

Great questions! We are definitely able to accommodate your request with a few different options. Both options involving porting your old phone number over into our network to relieve you of the high cost from AT&T.

Option A
---
We are able to port in your old AT&T phone number as a "virtual number" into your account. What this means is that when people call this old phone number it will also ring into your VOIPo device seamlessly. Also you have the ability to assign it a custom voicemail box which also means a custom / separate voicemail greeting. Where you will be able to say "This is an old phone number, please reach me at my new phone number XYZ going forward". All minute usage is included, which probably makes this your best option of the two.

Option B
---
We are able to port in your old phone number into one of our express accounts. You will then be able to forward this phone number to any other phone number in or out of our network. Minute usage is billed by the minute for any calls / usage incurred on the phone number.

Both of these options will allow you to send calls to this phone number to an alternate / separate voicemail box & greeting.

What are the costs?

You are able to secure the virtual phone number (Option A) at $3.95/month or $24.00/year.

You are able to secure the forward only phone number (Option B) at $4.95/month or $36.00/year. This option includes 300 minutes per calendar month and any overages will be billed at $0.025/minute.

If you have any additional questions feel free to give us a call during normal business hours (9am - 7pm CST) at 877-99-VOIPO or 949-829-4200 and someone will be more than happy to further assist you.
________
Pregnant vintage (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/925/vintage/videos/1)

alanmeyer
09-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Hi Brandon,

Thanks so much for the detailed description. I believe that you've given me enough details that I now understand the options. One question that I have is if Option A allows me to set the calls (on the old AT&T number only) direct to voicemail, or do I have to hear the rings on my phone first? That is, I plan to allow the old number to ring thru for a while (weeks) and then eventually switch it to go directly to voice mail so that I only ever get the voicemail message, and not hear it ring anymore.

BTW, I would have called to get this question answered but I chose to use the forum so that hopefully others will benefit from what you've taught me.

Best,
-Alan

VOIPoBrandon
09-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Alan,

Yet another great question! Due to the way our network is designed, that is one of the downsides of Option A - the call would simply ring to the same phone hooked up and would only go to voicemail upon any normal conditions that would send it there, i.e. no answer, network failover, etc.

This would not be a problem with Option B. With Option B you are able to specify the amount of rings until the phone number goes into the mailbox, which you can simply set to "0", and it will go directly into the voicemail box.

Please do feel free to ask any questions via any medium of support we offer, we are here for you!
________
William bushnell stout (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/William_Bushnell_Stout)

MisterEd
09-08-2010, 09:32 PM
One question that I have is if Option A allows me to set the calls (on the old AT&T number only) direct to voicemail, or do I have to hear the rings on my phone first? That is, I plan to allow the old number to ring thru for a while (weeks) and then eventually switch it to go directly to voice mail so that I only ever get the voicemail message, and not hear it ring anymore.

@alanmeyer

How about option "C". Take the virtual number and make it a free standing number using the "2nd line" option available under "beta" in VPanel. This will assign phone port 2 of the ATA for your ported ATT number. Same fee as the virtual number, have your own voicemail and all the Voipo features.

Best part is you can have that line 2 ONLY go to it's separate voicemail and never hear it ring or forward it to any other number or apply any routes you want. Cost is the same as the virtual number.

That's what I have and it works great.

alanmeyer
09-08-2010, 10:36 PM
@alanmeyer

How about option "C". Take the virtual number and make it a free standing number using the "2nd line" option available under "beta" in VPanel. This will assign phone port 2 of the ATA for your ported ATT number. Same fee as the virtual number, have your own voicemail and all the Voipo features.

Best part is you can have that line 2 ONLY go to it's separate voicemail and never hear it ring or forward it to any other number or apply any routes you want. Cost is the same as the virtual number.

That's what I have and it works great.

This seems pretty much what I'm looking for, but I would be lying if I told you that I properly understand the beta panel. I just looked at it, but I don't see where you would set up the virtual number.

However, my bigger question is: What do I do to transfer the number? That is, in transferring the number and paying for the service do I have an up-front decision to make at the point I place the order, or is it just a configuration setting?

usa2k
09-09-2010, 06:40 AM
Option C is $4.95/month or $36.00/year as a Forwarded (http://www.voipo.com/local-voip-number.shtml) service.
Option C is $3.95/month or $24.00/year added to Residential

Actually that is the Forwarded versus Virtual(Non-toll free) Number.
Dedicated 2nd line thru Beta (https://secure.voipo.com/beta/upgrade_line) is a free option to make the two lines work independently.
Otherwise they are "cloned" lines.

Hanging a second cheap phone off the 2nd line would be one way to hear it ring. You can set the CID to show your new primary line when you dial from that line, so you don't untrain people.

I would not broadcast on a VM your new phone number. The one's you really care about, you will surely tell!

MisterEd
09-09-2010, 06:47 AM
Option C is $4.95/month or $36.00/year as a Forwarded (http://www.voipo.com/local-voip-number.shtml) service.
Option C is $3.95/month or $24.00/year added to Residential

You mean "Option "B" is $4.95 ........
"Option C" is $3.95 ......

usa2k
09-09-2010, 06:48 AM
To transfer, email support@voipo.com and explain you want to do LNP (Line Number Portability) for xxx-xxx-xxxx to add as a Virtual number. They will likely send you a form to be filled out and faxed.

I cannot recall if there is simply a web interface for it?
They have become very efficient at the follow-through and completion.
Don't cancel the old service until the transfer is complete and working!

MisterEd
09-09-2010, 06:51 AM
This seems pretty much what I'm looking for, but I would be lying if I told you that I properly understand the beta panel. I just looked at it, but I don't see where you would set up the virtual number.

However, my bigger question is: What do I do to transfer the number? That is, in transferring the number and paying for the service do I have an up-front decision to make at the point I place the order, or is it just a configuration setting?

First you need to purchase a virtual number.

Go to "FEATURES" Tab then "Virtual numbers" on the bar below it and purchase a VN.

Then go to "Beta" tab then the "2nd Line" option on the bar below it.

Then contact Voipo to port your AT&T number to the 2nd line to replace the former virtual number. You can port the number any time after you create the virtual number. It could be same day or 6 months later or never. If you never port it you will simply have a second line with a 2nd Voipo number.

You now have two fully independent lines using the Line 1 and Line 2 ports on the back of the ATA.

usa2k
09-09-2010, 06:52 AM
You mean "Option "B" is $4.95 ........
"Option C" is $3.95 ...... Right!!! :)
They are so similar!

Also know that multiple accounts can be accessible from one login if you went with the a la cart route.
It would get added to the drop-down at the top of vPanel
(But might need a support email unless they know in advance.)

kodiak
09-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Alan,

Yet another great question! Due to the way our network is designed, that is one of the downsides of Option A - the call would simply ring to the same phone hooked up and would only go to voicemail upon any normal conditions that would send it there, i.e. no answer, network failover, etc.

Actually, when you set up voicemail for a virtual number you can specify how many times the phone should ring for calls going to that number (independent of your other number) and zero is an option. You can also set a different ring pattern for the second number so that you'll know which number is being called and whether you should let it go to voicemail or not.

I use "Option A" to have a distinct "line" for my freelance work. Since I'm not generally home when most of my prospective clients call, I use the separate voicemail to present a more professional message than I do for personal calls. I also set the rings to zero on that number when I'm not around so that those calls do not bother anyone else--though sometimes the phone will ring once.

--Jason

alanmeyer
09-20-2010, 07:40 PM
So, here's the update: I requested to transfer over my AT&T number to VOIPo last week. The transfer happened today. I confirmed that my old number is now coming in on the ATA.

The problem that I'm having is that both my old number and my new number both ring both ports. I thought it would be that Phone #1 would ring port A, and Phone #2 would ring port B. Perhaps I don't have the settings correct in the vPanel?

usa2k
09-20-2010, 09:23 PM
https://secure.voipo.com/beta/upgrade_line should let you do it.

alanmeyer
09-20-2010, 09:50 PM
https://secure.voipo.com/beta/upgrade_line should let you do it.

This did exactly what I needed it to do. Thanks!!

What I don't understand is why this is a link that I can't seem to find under my Beta tab. Is there a separate set of links (like the upgrade_line) that I'm missing out on?

usa2k
09-21-2010, 05:08 AM
These are what I have under beta:
BetaFAX 2nd Line SMS Controls Simul Ring Call Recording Mobile Scheduling Caller-ID Distinctive Ring

If you don't have them all, a ticket should fix that. Glad it worked!

When they get their new interface, I hope the menus are more consistent, and will show in the same order. The order currently switches around when I go from my primary number to my upgraded virtual number. The order stays the same within a number interface though.

alanmeyer
09-21-2010, 09:47 AM
*BetaFAX 2nd Line SMS Controls Simul Ring Call Recording Mobile Scheduling Caller-ID Distinctive Ring *

If you don't have them all, a ticket should fix that. Glad it worked!

When they get their new interface, I hope the menus are more consistent,
and will show in the same order. The order currently switches around when I go from my *primary* number to my *upgraded *virtual number.

Here's my Beta Tab. There's no "2nd Line" option for me. However, the direct link worked. I guess I need to open a ticket.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/alanmeyer/Voipo/Voipo-Beta1.png

BTW (and not to throw this discussion off track, but...) uploading images to this forum is not easy. For some reason, my attempts to upload images all result in either "invalid file" or "upload error". And just to be clear, I met the requirements on image and file size per the upload dialogue box. In the end, I had to revert to using photobucket to share the images. Not a major problem, but not ideal.

Click this image to zoom:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/alanmeyer/Voipo/th_Voipo-Image-Upload-1.png (http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/alanmeyer/Voipo/?action=view&current=Voipo-Image-Upload-1.png)