PDA

View Full Version : Can I port a cell number to a virtual number on an existing account?

Russell
09-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Can I port a cell number to a virtual number on an existing account? I already have an existing VOIPo account and was wondering if I could port a cell number into a virtual number on my existing VOIPo account? If yes, what are the charges and what is the time frame for the port to be effective? And, eventually, will this number be portable to a cell provider?

MisterEd
09-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Yes. I did exactly that but eventually made it a 2nd line. There was no charge (other than for the virtual number) and it only took a few days. Can't see any reason why you couldn't port it out later.

Russell
09-10-2010, 05:44 PM
How much does a virtual number cost these days? Believe me, unless I missed something it's not easy to find out from www.voipo.com :-).

usa2k
09-10-2010, 05:58 PM
$4.95/month or $36.00/year as a Forwarded (http://www.voipo.com/local-voip-number.shtml) service.
$3.95/month or $24.00/year added to Residential service plan

MisterEd
09-11-2010, 03:48 AM
I don't understand this "forwarded service." What is the difference between that and a regular virtual number for 50% more cost?

fisamo
09-11-2010, 07:47 AM
The "forwarded service" is a completely separate service that's not tied to a residential account. You can forward all calls to that number to any domestic-PSTN or SIP destination of your choice, and it includes a bucket of incoming minutes in your monthly fee. This option is best for people who either (a) don't have a Voipo residential account, (b) already have a virtual number upgraded on their cloned line, or (c) want to use both of the 'cloned lines' on their main number.

A virtual number only rings the residential account, and usage monitoring is tied to that same account (meaning, you don't pay per minute for calls to that line, but incoming calls are part of the usage soft cap). If you upgrade the cloned line/virtual number, it can only ring to your ATA, unless you set up different forwarding rules (in which case it's a better deal than the "forwarded services" to bundle it with your Residential account). Just keep in mind that if you were to get the virtual number and want it to forward anywhere other than your Voipo main line, you have to upgrade the virtual number to the second line, and you lose the 'cloned line' feature. (For outgoing purposes, your second ATA port would be tied to the virtual number, since you would have upgraded the VN to a second line.)

I hope that makes sense. (I'm not so sure after reading it. :) )

usa2k
09-11-2010, 09:43 AM
The "forwarded service" is a completely separate service that's ... Very nicely summarized! :)

MisterEd
09-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Never mind. :)