PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Having Trouble Today?

caseydoug
09-15-2010, 06:25 PM
A friend just called me on my cell and said she had been trying to reach me all afternoon, but that both lines were busy -- not voice mail, but busy signals. We did not have DND enabled (and if we had, we would have sent calls to voice mail), and we weren't on the phone.

I then checked the phones, and everything seemed normal. I called myself from my cell, and both lines rang normally.

So I'm wondering whether anyone else noticed a problem with inbound calls today, or whether my friend was somehow misdialing?

burris
09-16-2010, 04:18 AM
As far as I know, all has been well here in South Florida...at least with the phone service.:rolleyes:

caseydoug
09-16-2010, 10:39 AM
Well, I checked my call history, and all the calls appear there. Six to my primary line and one to my Add-on line. Strange. I submitted a ticket (ONP-952704). Could network problems cause a busy signal?

MisterEd
09-17-2010, 06:51 AM
knock plastic ..... no problem here (NJ)

TimW
09-18-2010, 07:47 AM
I had a lot of problems yesterday, but all slightly different than yours.

MisterEd
09-19-2010, 06:37 AM
Damn, I spoke too soon! Over the last few days my LINE 1 has shut down 3 times and I have to reboot the ATA. Line 2 remains active. The first time it happened I ignored it, but it has happened twice more since I posted my earlier "no problem here" message on Friday.

Russell
09-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Damn, I spoke too soon! Over the last few days my LINE 1 has shut down 3 times and I have to reboot the ATA. Line 2 remains active. The first time it happened I ignored it, but it has happened twice more since I posted my earlier "no problem here" message on Friday.

I too lost line 1 on Friday. Kept wondering what the issue was (I have several phones connected to line 1), since it occurred shortly after I used line 1 to check for voicemail and thought I may have done soemthing silly. Finally looked at the adapter and line 1 was dark. Reboot fixed the issue. All the time line 2 was functional.

Russell
09-19-2010, 11:39 AM
And more problems. Tried making a call using line 1 all I heard was dead air and then I used line 2 and the heard the ring right away. The person at the other end asked me if I'd called a few minutes earlier and said they saw all zeros on their caller-id.

A few minutes later they called. I picked up but heard nothing. They tell me it went to my voice mail.

Sigh.

My config is the RT31P2 being directly connected to my UVerse router with UDP ports 5004-65000 forwarded to the RT31P2.

stevech
09-19-2010, 12:28 PM
one line service here is OK today at 11:30A PT

voipinit
09-20-2010, 06:12 PM

X2 - after no problems for a long long time, I am losing line 1 every couple days requiring a reboot of the ATA.

Russell
09-20-2010, 08:09 PM
X2 - after no problems for a long long time, I am losing line 1 every couple days requiring a reboot of the ATA.

Yes, my issues too were out of the blue. Rock solid service until this phase.

VOIPoTim
09-20-2010, 08:54 PM
No increase in support here and everything's been running smoothly. If you guys have issues, open a ticket when you notice it so we can look at it for you.

Russell
09-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Come back home and line 2 is dead (no light on the ATA). Make a call on line 1 and don't hear any ringing ... then I hear a hello from the other party.

burris
09-22-2010, 02:30 PM
This sure sounds like some router problems.
Maybe NAT or some needed ports not opening up.

Russell
09-22-2010, 03:24 PM
This sure sounds like some router problems.
Maybe NAT or some needed ports not opening up.

And, now both lines are lit up - I didn't do anything at all.

As previously mentioned: My config is the RT31P2 being directly connected to my UVerse router with UDP ports 5004-65000 forwarded to the RT31P2.

burris
09-22-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm not too familiar with UVerse, but if they use a router, as we know it, you may be double natting or conflicting something when you connect one router behind the other.

Have you checked with support. I'm sure by now that they have gained some experience with connecting those customers who have UVerse.

stevech
09-22-2010, 09:30 PM
I'm not too familiar with UVerse.
And that's a very good thing.

VOIPoBrandon
09-22-2010, 09:39 PM
And that's a very good thing.

Bad experience I take?

I'm running Uverse at home and do not have any problems with numerous, numerous, numerous devices behind the UVerse gateway.

Russell:

I am curious as to if the recent experience could be related to any kind of updates and or network pushes that they have been doing recently.

In the last 24 hours I've noticed a couple of things (this could be completely coincidental, or irrelevant, however - just some observations).

Last night around midnight CST and PST (the reason I say this) is because it happened for me here locally in Houston at midnight and then later for a friend at midnight PST, there was a loss of connection for about 5-10 minutes.

Earlier today from three separate AT&T locations (UVerse & DSL) (in different geographic locations) Facebook.com was unaccessible.*

* Let me add it was specific to AT&T... I could access it from alternate networks.

Just some personal observations... not sure if there is any relevancy to your recent experience.

MisterEd
09-22-2010, 09:59 PM
No increase in support here and everything's been running smoothly. If you guys have issues, open a ticket when you notice it so we can look at it for you.

Been there, done that. What can they do? If a line is down, then it comes up, when they get the ticket the reply is "everything is OK." Which it is. :)

I post problems here not with the intent to complain to VOIPo but just to see if anyone/everyone else in "the community" is having a problem. I realize there isn't much you can do unless there is a major outage.

Russell
09-23-2010, 05:32 AM
Been there, done that. What can they do? If a line is down, then it comes up, when they get the ticket the reply is "everything is OK." Which it is. :)

I post problems here not with the intent to complain to VOIPo but just to see if anyone/everyone else in "the community" is having a problem. I realize there isn't much you can do unless there is a major outage.

Which is the same reason I don't create tickets and report here.

Tim: if you feel there is a point in creating tickets for something which is not reproducible, please let me know. It takes a certain amount of emotional energy to create the ticket for a problem which does not exist (e.g., my line 2 line not being lit for a certain period yesterday and being lit later) and if I'm going to be faced with an "everything is OK." response as described above, it's best for my sanity not to create the ticket :-).

Brandon, I do hear what you're saying. Both lines are lit up at the moment. However, the next time I find issues, I'm going to reboot all (the two described below) components.

To summarize my setup: the RT31P2 is plugged into the 2Wire with UDP ports forwarded. Plus my main computer is plugged in the RT31P2. Everything else on the network does wireless from the RT31P2.

Russell
09-25-2010, 07:58 AM
Problems still persist. So this morning I decided to reboot all affected components: first turned power off to computer, RT31P2 and UVerse box. Let all sit for at least 2 minutes. Then powered up the UVerse box - it takes a long time to be ready. When it was, I powered up the RT31P2 and finally the attached computer, from which I'm typing this. If this doesn't get things working normally, I guess, it's ticket time. And, UDP 5004-65000 forwarded to the RT31P2 from the UVerse box.

Russell
09-25-2010, 10:36 AM
On some calls I have a long silence and never hear any ringing - this is after the reboot described in the previous post. Opened RKQ-526057.

KenH
09-26-2010, 10:25 AM
On some calls I have a long silence and never hear any ringing - this is after the reboot described in the previous post. Opened RKQ-526057.

I am experiencing the "no ringing" and 'choppy audio' and it's not the first time.

I've given up on submitting trouble tickets (over 40 since July 2008) - the issues always seem to reoccur.

My problems may be just mine, but they are problems. I didn't have them with my previous VOIP provider and I won't have them with my next.

burris
09-26-2010, 11:50 AM
Ken..

I don't work for VOIPo but have been involved since the beta days. Even in those beta days while helping test the service, I haven't experienced anything like what you describe.
Sure, I expect some blips along the way, VOIP you know, but even during the beta days, I still had no land line and for the most part, it worked pretty well.

As Tim mentioned a few times in the past, for whatever reason, a handful of users will just not work with certain providers no matter what. The vicissitudinous nature of VOIP I suppose.

KenH
09-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Burris -

Don't take this personally. I was merely letting Russell know that I have also experienced the same issues. As a matter of fact, the next call I made after posting not only didn't ring, but returned to a dialtone - a first! Some calls made this morning are still not ringing.

I also have been with VOIPo since the pre-launch date; there were many difficult periods. I can't count the times we were without service and my wife wanted me to ditch the effort.

You have mentioned many times that you are satisfied with VOIPo's performance. Unfortunately, there are others that do have problems. As I said, "My problems may be just mine, but they are problems." The same is true for any other person reporting an issue.

For whatever reason, VOIPo isn't performing optimally for me. I think I've been more than patient, but it's time for a change.

Ken

burris
09-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Burris -

Don't take this personally. I was merely letting Russell know that I have also experienced the same issues. As a matter of fact, the next call I made after posting not only didn't ring, but returned to a dialtone - a first! Some calls made this morning are still not ringing.

I also have been with VOIPo since the pre-launch date; there were many difficult periods. I can't count the times we were without service and my wife wanted me to ditch the effort.

You have mentioned many times that you are satisfied with VOIPo's performance. Unfortunately, there are others that do have problems. As I said, "My problems may be just mine, but they are problems." The same is true for any other person reporting an issue.

For whatever reason, VOIPo isn't performing optimally for me. I think I've been more than patient, but it's time for a change.

Ken

Ken....

I empathize with you.

I had the same situation years ago with ViaTalk and found that it was cheaper and more effective to change providers than to have my wife file for divorce. ;)

Russell
09-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Burris -

Don't take this personally. I was merely letting Russell know that I have also experienced the same issues.As a matter of fact, the next call I made after posting not only didn't ring, but returned to a dialtone - a first! Some calls made this morning are still not ringing.

I also have been with VOIPo since the pre-launch date; there were many difficult periods. I can't count the times we wer e without service and my wife wanted me to ditch the effort.

Ken

Thanks, Ken, I do appreciate your very well written post. Like you I too am well aware of Burris' satisfaction :-). My situation could not be more vanilla - a VOIPo provided device connected to a UVerse router with all the appropriate forwarding as suggested by VOIP. I'd like to attach a screen capture of my UVerse config in case some UVerse user sees something stupid on my part, but I'm having an issue trying to get it within the right pixel limits.

KenH
09-27-2010, 03:59 PM
Russell -

Thank you for the kind words.

I have done it all - two modems (Moto & Linksys), two different routers (D-Link & ASUS (Tomato & DD-WRT)), three ATA's (PAP2, PAP2T, HT502), & three different phone systems including hard-wired. I've tested every conceivable configuration of these devices. The only thing I haven't tried is changing ISP's ;).

I wish you luck.

Ken

Russell
09-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Russell -

Thank you for the kind words.

I have done it all - two modems (Moto & Linksys), two different routers (D-Link & ASUS (Tomato & DD-WRT)), three ATA's (PAP2, PAP2T, HT502), & three different phone systems including hard-wired. I've tested every conceivable configuration of these devices. The only thing I haven't tried is changing ISP's ;).

I wish you luck.

Ken
I do sense your frustration. Despite that, your posts are a model of gentility.

I'm hoping my case is a lot simpler. After all, it's a configuration that Brandon has tested and is known to work. Which makes me wonder if the cause is in those mysterious upstream providers - and, if in the search for more economic routes those have changed, and I'm paying the price.

09-27-2010, 11:56 PM
For 6 hours now, friends are having to call on cell not in the simul ring to get me. They call the voipo number and get 1.5 rings then a fast busy. Same when I call from a cell to my voipo number. Nothing on my end rings, not even the simul ring number. All incoming calls are showing on the call log for 0 seconds duration. I can call out ok.. 4 hours since I put in a service request and nothing back from them yet.

ExCavTanker
09-28-2010, 05:47 AM
I'm a fairly new VOIPo customer as well as this being my first VOIP experience moving from AT&T pots. Things were going great until the last few days or so, I'm experiencing the exact same issue as reported here; no ringing then the called party will answer after a long silence (15-20 secs or so).

One time I called my Dad at his cabin and it stayed silent for a long time with no answer, when I tried that number from my cell phone his line was busy. I did get through some time later with my cell and found that he was on the internet (dialup).

So I've experienced a no ring with long silence then answer as well as a no busy signal at the called party, I'm really hoping these glitches get fixed ASAP.

My wife is getting a little chippy over these 'glitches' which she has also experienced,of course she has little tolerance for as them as they weren't experienced with AT&T.

I am on Charter cable in Michigan (no internet access issues during these phone issues), D-Link DIR-655 (no changes from initial install when the service was working problem free, Linksys RT31P2 router (I have not had the line lights go out on the device).

I will be starting a ticket but wanted to share with others.

Russell
09-28-2010, 07:08 AM
I'm a fairly new VOIPo customer as well as this being my first VOIP experience moving from AT&T pots. Things were going great until the last few days or so, I'm experiencing the exact same issue as reported here; no ringing then the called party will answer after a long silence (15-20 secs or so).

I'm glad you shared. It's reassuring to know that others are having the same issue. Tech supports focus based on my ticket so far appears to be on my end. When multiple people report the issue and folks like me have a very simple setup (VOIPo router connected to UVerse box with ports forwarded), it makes me wonder whether the problem is not in my setup. Do note, I don't experience the issue on all calls - I just made two calls to numbers I know (no one at the other end) and it rang right away.

JimDog
09-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Russell,

I'm using VOIPo on U-verse and my configuration is a little different than yours. Instead of forwarding ports I have the Residential Gateway configured to give my PAP2T its external IP address and to forward all traffic not destined for another system on my network to it (DMZplus). You can configure DMZplus in the RG in Settings -> Firewall -> Applications, Pinholes and DMZ. Select your adapter from the list of devices, click the radio button near the bottom for Allow all applications and then click Save. To assign it the external IP address go to Settings -> LAN -> IP Address Allocation. Find your adapter in the list, change Address Assignment to Public and change WAN IP Mapping to Router WAN IP address. I haven't had any issues with this setup. I'm still able to forward specific traffic (Remote Desktop, Peer-to-peer, etc.) to other systems using firewall rules; just anything that doesn't match a firewall rule or isn't a reply to an outbound request gets sent to the VOIPo adapter.

09-28-2010, 05:29 PM
For 6 hours now, friends are having to call on cell not in the simul ring to get me. They call the voipo number and get 1.5 rings then a fast busy. Same when I call from a cell to my voipo number. Nothing on my end rings, not even the simul ring number. All incoming calls are showing on the call log for 0 seconds duration. I can call out ok.. 4 hours since I put in a service request and nothing back from them yet.

Got eMail this am from voipo, said issue with simul ring and all should be ok.
This was fixed the morning, now 6 hours later, same issues.

Russell
09-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Russell,

I'm using VOIPo on U-verse and my configuration is a little different than yours. Instead of forwarding ports I have the Residential Gateway configured to give my PAP2T its external IP address and to forward all traffic not destined for another system on my network to it (DMZplus). You can configure DMZplus in the RG in Settings -> Firewall -> Applications, Pinholes and DMZ. Select your adapter from the list of devices, click the radio button near the bottom for Allow all applications and then click Save. To assign it the external IP address go to Settings -> LAN -> IP Address Allocation. Find your adapter in the list, change Address Assignment to Public and change WAN IP Mapping to Router WAN IP address. I haven't had any issues with this setup. I'm still able to forward specific traffic (Remote Desktop, Peer-to-peer, etc.) to other systems using firewall rules; just anything that doesn't match a firewall rule or isn't a reply to an outbound request gets sent to the VOIPo adapter.

Thanks, JimDog. Your instructions are excellent and if I've got to move to the DMZ I'll do it and the instructions will most certainly help. However, on principle I dislike putting my ATA in the DMZ, but that's a different thread :-).

I had another call this evening where I couldn't hear the caller. Since then I tech support remotely accessed my RT31P2 and say, "We've applied a few adjustments to the account to aid in stabilizing the service. No further action is needed at this time. " So, I'm hoping all is well.

stevech
09-28-2010, 09:25 PM
, "We've applied a few adjustments to the account to aid in stabilizing the service. No further action is needed at this time. " So, I'm hoping all is well.one always wonders why such adjustments, if not mere guesses, were not previously applied!

09-28-2010, 10:45 PM
I may have to take them up on the 30 days to return all for a refund....and just renew phone power

Russell
09-29-2010, 05:19 AM
one always wonders why such adjustments, if not mere guesses, were not previously applied!

Having suffered through the glitches, I would have loved to have known why I (with a very vanilla setup) merited those changes. But, I'm going to assume they work, assume they don't tell the average customer what has been done, and not take any of their time pursuing the subject in the ticket.

Russell
09-30-2010, 07:19 PM
So far the "adjustments" appear to be working. Not many calls, but no issues with the calls that have been made or received.

VOIPoTim
09-30-2010, 07:49 PM
So far the "adjustments" appear to be working. Not many calls, but no issues with the calls that have been made or received.

Glad to see. See, sometimes opening a ticket really does work. ;)

Russell
10-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Glad to see. See, sometimes opening a ticket really does work. ;)

Tim,

Now that you've had the satisfaction of saying, "I told you so" :-), would you be kind enough to let me (and other curious readers) know what kind of "adjustments" were made on my account? As previously mentioned my setup could not be more vanilla: RT31P2 connected directly to the UVerse router (which Brandon has successfully tested with numerous devices). 12Mbps/1.5Mbps service UVerse service.

VOIPoTim
10-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Tim,

Now that you've had the satisfaction of saying, "I told you so" :-), would you be kind enough to let me (and other curious readers) know what kind of "adjustments" were made on my account? As previously mentioned my setup could not be more vanilla: RT31P2 connected directly to the UVerse router (which Brandon has successfully tested with numerous devices). 12Mbps/1.5Mbps service UVerse service.

It's not really as simple as saying that a certain router or network setup needs X done to work well. It's more about looking at everything including our logs to see how the traffic is flowing and where errors are.

Every situation is unique. Even a minor firmware version difference in a router/modem can mean that the two versions need complete opposite tweaks applied. Just like we don't have scripts for support, we don't have specific things that are done with different models.

Support reps will simply just look at it, look at the traffic, diagnose, and then change it so that the traffic starts looking valid and problem-free.

For example with audio issues, customers may insist it's a "cheap router", a bad device, etc but one quick look in our logs may show the audio stream stopping when it hits their router. We also see a ton of cases where the traffic is coming through but is being "deformed" by a SIP ALG on the router, etc. These are all cases where we can take a look and between seeing the logs, the network setup, etc diagnose.

Support can determine what needs to be done and do it. That's why we encourage everyone to contact support. Contacting support is the always going to be the fastest and most efficient way to get problems resolved.

Russell
10-03-2010, 09:13 AM
I'm not sure if it's coincidence or not but right in the middle of a Skype call the RT31P2 decided to reboot. Obviously, the Skype call got dropped. My setup: computer connected to RT31P2 connected to UVerse box.

VOIPoTim
10-03-2010, 04:12 PM
I'm not sure if it's coincidence or not but right in the middle of a Skype call the RT31P2 decided to reboot. Obviously, the Skype call got dropped. My setup: computer connected to RT31P2 connected to UVerse box.

If it's happening frequently, then just contact support to work through it.

A periodic reboot is normal though. How long had it bee since it rebooted?

If the devices aren't rebooted periodically, they will reboot (typically weekly) to download the new provisioning file in case there are updates. We can't really push any changes to them without a reboot so it's important to have them reboot periodically to process changes.

A periodic reboot is also needed just to refresh the device. They will not stay on and work well indefinitely without a reboot. If they are on more than a week or so without a reboot, you'll start having dropped calls, poor voice quality, lost registrations, and just general erratic behavior. There's actually a thread on DSLReports now where people are discussing if Linksys VoIP devices need a reboot periodically and the majority opinion is yes that they get very unstable if not rebooted periodically.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24865880-Equipment-Do-PAP2T-devices-need-rest-recreation

Finally, another case where a reboot may sometimes be needed is in a failover scenario on our end where we're re-provisioning the device to another server. In a case like that the system will typically send a reboot signal in the SIP headers to the device.

Russell
10-03-2010, 04:33 PM
If it's happening frequently, then just contact support to work through it.

A periodic reboot is normal though. How long had it bee since it rebooted?

If the devices aren't rebooted periodically, they will reboot (typically weekly) to download the new provisioning file in case there are updates. We can't really push any changes to them without a reboot so it's important to have them reboot periodically to process changes.

A periodic reboot is also needed just to refresh the device. They will not stay on and work well indefinitely without a reboot.

Not sure if there's anyway to determine past reboot history. If there is tell me how and I'll look it up. Just checked and it's now been running for 08:21:07 which makes the reboot time when I was in the middle of my Skype call (a little after 10 am local time).

May I suggest that the periodic reboots to refresh the device be done in the middle of the night. Ideally, it'll be a control panel option as to when this should take place with the default being something like 3 am - I'd choose the middle of the night based on our family schedule.

burris
10-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Would there be any purpose for the BYOD users who don't have provisioning enabled to do periodic reboots?

MisterEd
10-05-2010, 10:13 PM
My ATA has been up for periods of 16 days recently (that I have noticed, there may have been longer periods). Right now it's 9 days 11 hours. When I first got it it would reboot every 45 minutes like clockwork and drove me nuts because all my phone indicator lights all around the house would flash bright red with each reboot but support fixed that.

Maybe once a week would be a good compromise or even every day if it was done at 2 or 3AM and not during the middle of the day.

Russell
10-06-2010, 04:55 AM
My ATA has been up for periods of 16 days recently (that I have noticed, there may have been longer periods). Right now it's 9 days 11 hours. When I first got it it would reboot every 45 minutes like clockwork and drove me nuts because all my phone indicator lights all around the house would flash bright red with each reboot but support fixed that.

Maybe once a week would be a good compromise or even every day if it was done at 2 or 3AM and not during the middle of the day.

I couldn't agree more. Looking at the uptime on my ATA it looks like another reboot occurred yesterday afternoon around 2:10 pm.

tritch
10-06-2010, 01:49 PM
I couldn't agree more. Looking at the uptime on my ATA it looks like another reboot occurred yesterday afternoon around 2:10 pm.

As a non-provisoned BYOD user, I'm not sure if this applies to your case but it might be wise to take a quick look at the data traffic to the ATA (Wireshark, etc.) using the timestamp of the reboot as a basis of analysis. I say this because you have UDP ports 5004-65000 open (much like myself until recently).

I recently started having strange random reboots on my ATA, sometimes frequently every day. By accident, I just happened to be watching the ATA when suddenly the ATA activity light started to rapidly flash along with the DSL activity light, then the ATA self-rebooted followed by 2 similar events and self-reboots all in about 30 second time span. The activity looked similar to a DoS attack and I suspected somebody was trying to hack the ATA. I installed a debug logger and waited a few hours for another ATA reboot. Sure enough it happened again, and the debug log revealed I was being hit by a "sipvicious" scan tool followed by hundreds of attempts to crack my password using unused open SIP ports. In my case, it was hitting unused ports 5064, 5074 and 5075. The IP address of the hacker was coming from China. Fortunately, I have a fairly complex password, so nothing was compromised. I also have international calling blocked in vPanel as a safeguard. What's amazing is that I released/renewed my public IP on the DSL modem and within a few hours I was hit again!!

Needless to say, I had to close up a lot of the open UDP ports in the router that were not being used by Voipo to stop the attacks. I did leave some ports open that I felt were needed to avoid any potiential dead air issues.

These are the only UDP ports that I have open now:
5004, 5012, 5079 and 35000-65000.

So far so good.....no more reboots and service is working great with no issues.

Russell
10-06-2010, 04:18 PM
I tried looking at my router logs but my naive eye didn't catch anything. Another reboot earlier today when there was no one at home and based on the call logs no phone traffic. I do have a ticket open ... lets see if what comes of that.

tritch
10-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Nothing showed up in my router logs either. Actually, I downloaded and installed Cisco's ATA debug syslog utility, then enabled the debug options in the ATA to capture all the traffic as per their instructions:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9897

Since your ATA is provisioned, I suppose you would have to get Support to temporairly enable the debug options in the ATA since you don't have access to the admin settings. I'm unsure whether the RT31P2 has these debug options anyway because I'm using a SPA2102.

After what happened to me, I got to wondering how many of Voipo's customers who have their ATA's directly connected to their modems (or have all those UDP ports open in their router) are being hit with these attacks and causing mysterious reboots.

Russell
10-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the info. I may look at it this weekend. For now I'm waiting to see what support comes up with.

I too have always been concerned with that huge range of ports that have been forwarded. I've been with several VOIP companies (Vonage, SunRocket, ViaTalk to name some) and I've never had to forward ports to have reliable service. And, I have international calling enabled. I'm going to ask a dumb question based on your previous post. Are these ATA's hackable in the sense can someone obtain and use my account info and thereby make international calls at "my" expense?

tritch
10-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Are these ATA's hackable in the sense can someone obtain and use my account info and thereby make international calls at "my" expense?

I'm by no means an expert in this area and wish that I could answer that question. Tim and his support team would be better at answering this one. Maybe someone else who has more technical knowledge can chime in. It would seem to me that they would have to crack the account credentials which I'm pretty sure Voipo keeps fairly complex. It's also likely that Voipo has a fraud detection/prevention monitoring system in place to circumvent or limit this activity.

I doubt you would be liable for any fraudulent calls since the ATA is owned and provisioned by Voipo. I would simply disable international calls in vPanel if you use it infrequently or not at all. That's really all these hackers want to do is make international calls.

Russell
10-06-2010, 08:42 PM
I doubt you would be liable for any fraudulent calls since the ATA is owned and provisioned by Voipo. I would simply disable international calls in vPanel if you use it infrequently or not at all. That's really all these hackers want to do is make international calls.

I just logged on and disabled international calling. On the infrequent times I use it, I can enable it for the duration of the call.

Russell
10-10-2010, 02:48 PM
After a couple of days of flawless service, today a call with one way audio (they couldn't hear me on a call I made). Fwiw, I do have the appropriate UDP ports forwarded from my UVerse box to the RT31P2. I've added this to my open ticket.

rps
11-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Been using the service for several months with only the occasional glitch (which always resolved by rebooting the router). Ports are properly forwarded. Things were working fine today (had just been on a call) and then went to make a call - no dialtone. Rebooted the router and still nothing. Checked to make sure that the RT31P2 is registered in devices - it is. Tried changing phone to line 2 - no help. Received three calls (all show up in the call history) but could not hear anything.

Is anyone else having problems today? Gotta say that it is really frustrating that there is no weekend support - if VOIPo really wants to compete, this must be addressed. As it stands now, it appears I will be without phone service until Monday unless the problem magically fixes itself.

EDIT: Well, the problem seems to have fixed itself after rebooting the router again and also reset the phone.

energyx
11-16-2010, 02:48 PM
Is anyone else having problems today? Gotta say that it is really frustrating that there is no weekend support - if VOIPo really wants to compete, this must be addressed. As it stands now, it appears I will be without phone service until Monday unless the problem magically fixes itself.

EDIT: Well, the problem seems to have fixed itself after rebooting the router again and also reset the phone.

Over the last week or so, I've had 3 or 4 occasions of no dialtone. Grandstream interface shows both lines "registered" and "on hook". Internet through the ATA is working fine. A reboot is required to get dialtone restored. I have placed a ticket and they have changed "provisioning". We'll see what happens.

ptrowski
11-18-2010, 09:47 AM
The other day we had some issues pop up with one way audio, my wife eventually hung up and called from her cell phone.

dgeckard
11-18-2010, 08:47 PM
I had two problems today (11/18)

1) This morning I had no dialtone. I had to unplug the RT31P2 and reset it

2) Also the RT31P2 stopped giving out IP Addresses and required yet another unplugging.

Setup is
---
Cable Modem <--|--> RT31P2(DHCPd) <--|--> Access Point ---> Laptop