PDA

View Full Version : Lost of internet speed ???

roehrle
09-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Don't know if I have a Voipo problem or an internet problem but every couple of days my internet goes from 1mb/sec to 390b/sec. I can correct this by turning off every thing for 30 seconds and then I usually get back to my normal speed. I currently have Verizon for my internet. Also my phone is not understandable when the internet does out. This seems to be more of a VOIP problem but I am not sure.This is starting to be a nuisance. Any suggestions?

MisterEd
09-17-2010, 06:49 AM
If your internet slows and you're NOT on the phone then I would blame Verizon. Also make sure your computer doesn't have a virus which could be eating up your bandwidth.

Also realize using voip takes some of your bandwidth when you are talking so your already slow connection will get slower while you use the phone. If someone is using the computer while you are on the phone that could easily kill your phone connection quailty because they are sucking up bandwidth.

If your internet slows (you have a relatively slow connection to start with) to 390b/sec you're lucky Voipo works at all. That is abysmal speed.

Are you using a wireless router? Is it password protected? It's possible someone is jumping on your already very slow connection and eating up your bandwidth.

I have 25/5 MB FIOS and when I download on my computer if my wife is on the phone the phone connection gets real bad real fast.

roehrle
09-17-2010, 07:52 AM
Hi ED:
Thanks for your reply:
Yes I am password protected. My Verizon is 1mb/sec and is fast enough for my internet stuff. Don't do much large downloading, mostly look at news programs. The 390b/sec only happens when no one is using the phone and I turn on the computer. Like I said it only happens every couple of days and usually comes back as soon as I reboot the wireless router and VOIPo box. I do have a wireless 5 mb telephone but I haven't seen any problem with that. I also have a TV wireless box for my satellite tv which is about 40 ft away from the wireless router.

burris
09-17-2010, 08:04 AM
Maybe take a look at your OS setup.

How is your RAM..is it showing what you expect. Might also look to see if you have lots of temp files and such clogging up your RAM.

Also try a speed test from http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Does it give you what you expect?

Finally, a defrag if you haven't done so yet..

Good Luck..

MisterEd
09-18-2010, 07:21 AM
Hi ED:
Thanks for your reply:
Yes I am password protected. My Verizon is 1mb/sec and is fast enough for my internet stuff. Don't do much large downloading, mostly look at news programs. The 390b/sec only happens when no one is using the phone and I turn on the computer. Like I said it only happens every couple of days and usually comes back as soon as I reboot the wireless router and VOIPo box. I do have a wireless 5 mb telephone but I haven't seen any problem with that. I also have a TV wireless box for my satellite tv which is about 40 ft away from the wireless router. "TV wireless box" could be sucking up bandwidth as well. Not sure exactly what that is in your case but I have DirecTV with 4 DVRs networked (ethernet not wireless) and when I use DirecTV's "VOD" it is downloading and using bandwidth. With your low bandwidth connection that too could have a negative effect.

Also, since you are probably using DSL which runs off the copper phone lines you may have intermittent phone line issues. If your lines are old there could be bad connections causing the intermittent problem. I would call Verizon and have them run a line test. I had DSL years ago and had all kinds of line problems due to age of my lines (I live about 20 miles south of you off the GSP :) ). I was paying for 1.5megs but my speeds varied from 500K up to around 900K. Unfortunately DSL relies on the old copper infrastructure which Verizon has all but abandoned here in NJ.

Bottom line is, I can't see it being the Voipo box causing bandwidth problems when the phone is not in use but I guess anything is "possible."

Also, keep the Cordless phone base unit away from your wireless router. They will interact.