PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a new phone adapter?

TimW
09-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Hi all,

Hope you can help me with some problems I seems to have some times. I'm IT savvy but less technical than I used to be, and not too much into the details of VoIP. But as several of these problems are (sometimes) cured by rebooting my PA, I'm wondering if I need a new phone adapter? I have the Linksys PA (PAP2T?). My PA sits about 3-4 inches from my router, and I have Verizon FIOS 15/5 which has been very reliable for me. I've been with VoIPo for about 18 months, and most of these issues have been going on randomly about every 1-3 weeks for about 3-4 months.

Echoes on the line. Usually goes away when I reboot the PA. Do I need a new phone adapter?

Phone rings but line drops when I pick it up. Usually goes away when I reboot the PA. Do I need a new phone adapter?

No longer getting the vmail waiting blips before I get a dial tone when I have one or more vmails waiting. Does not go away when I reboot the PA. Do I need a new phone adapter?

Dead line/no dial tone when I pick up to make a call. Usually goes away when I reboot the PA. Do I need a new phone adapter?

Sometimes calls will never connect after dialing. Usually connects when I try to re-dial 2nd or third time. Do I need a new phone adapter? MOmentary glitch in network connection.

sr98user
09-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Most of your issues sounds like router problems ( NAT/firewall issues ). Echoes are probably not router related. I occasionally get echos when I call the VOIPo number from my cell phone.

I am sure support will help you out. You should probably create a support ticket.

TimW
09-18-2010, 07:45 AM
Sorry, but that doesn't make sense. If it's a router problem, why would it be fixed by rebooting the phone adapter? Why is the phone perfectly good then for 1-3 weeks before these oddities start happening again. My router is permanently on an gets restarted manually about twice a year (+ power outages longer than my UPS can last).

And my router configuration has not changed in 2 years at least (i have a separate wireless access point that controls ALL other network devices).

sr98user
09-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Without looking at the NAT entries, firewall logs, PAP2T debug logs, We can't say for sure where the problem is. Support will be in the best position to do troubleshooting. Next time you have a problem, don't reboot.. Work with support and figure out whats going on.

What kind of router do you have on your network? Maybe others with FIOS can chime in regarding this issue. What is your network configuration (how things are connected)?

MisterEd
09-19-2010, 06:56 AM
I have an almost identical setup as the OP. I have FIOS 15/5 and a PAP2. When I first started with VOIPo I had all kinds of problems. Late in December I removed and replaced my FIOS ACTIONTEC Router with my old Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 router loaded with DD-WRT. 95% of my problems went away.

I Still have an occasional problem, but they are much less then before. The occasional ECHO issue will never go away. As our fearless leader, Tim, would say, "That's the nature of voip."

If you're using the Actiontec router I would strongly suggest swapping it out for a "normal" router. You will have to contact Verizon and have them switch you over to ethernet at your ONT)on the side of, or inside your house and get rid of MOCA. If you also have FIOS TV (I do not) it is a little more involved but can still be done. Check out the Verizon Fiber Forum over on DSLreports.COM.

For those not familiar with FIOS they use no "cable modem."

holmes4
09-19-2010, 08:36 AM
I agree that the Actiontec router is trouble. Luckily my house was already set up for Ethernet out of the ONT (when I had FiOS installed, Verizon here didn't offer TV and then they sold off their business to Fairpoint which is not further developing the fiber system.)

TimW
09-21-2010, 09:46 AM
I'd love to get rid of the Actiontec router. I've had 2 PS failures with it already and it would simplify my network configuration alot to get rid of it. I also have a Buffalo wireless router further down the line (used for wireless bridging with another Buffalo router) so maybe that one router could run everything. When I get some time I'll dig into the Fiber Forum. I do want to get FIOS TV soon so that may complicate things.

And, I'm not looking for perfection. I understand that occasional, temporary glitches "are the nature of VoIP".

Thanks for the suggestions.