PDA

View Full Version : Quality issue: static quality, rough sounding quality

adrienqa66
09-24-2010, 03:53 PM
My VOIP phone has a static tone to it; the overall quality is very rough.

It's not terrible or unusable, but it is noticeable.

I have the volume settings set to be Extremely High for me and High for the other user.

Any help and/or similar experiences with this would be appreciated!

Thank you!

voipinit
09-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Have u tried it with a lower volume setting, u may be amplifying more static then voice. What ATA do u have?

adrienqa66
09-24-2010, 04:30 PM
I prefer the louder volume setting, but I understand what you mean by the static unfortunately being amplified. I have the Linksys RT31P2

tonglebeak
09-24-2010, 05:46 PM
I repair phone issues for the cable company I work for. We don't use the ATAs (we use EMTAs), but the principal is the same.

The VOIP service is ran through a digital signal (from emta/ata to isp, and so on). Your actual phone wiring is analog, and this is where static will occur.

Now, if the voice is choppy, or one person can't hear the other, then it could be an internet issue, etc.

With that said, let me ask this: is your entire house wiring hooked into the ata? If so, disconnect that, and plug a phone directly into the ata. See if the static is gone. If it is, you know its your phone wiring. If it's still there, then try another phone, ruling out the possibility of a bad phone. If there's still static, then ata's must operate differently than the EMTAs that I'm used to.

Worth a shot, give it a go

adrienqa66
10-10-2010, 12:39 PM
I tried a new phone and the same problem persists. I have this annoying static on the line!!!

I don't wire my house and I only use the adapter.

I am just frustrated, I don't know what to do.

I have Time Warner Cable; but VOIPo has worked fine up until now (about a year).

I have RoadRunner Standard. Would RoadRunner Turbo change things? I really don't want to have to pay to upgrade the internet service considering I'm the only one who uses it.

Clearwire ("Clear") is now available in my area. Would changing be worth it?

My internet connection is just fine though.

What frustrates me is that I haven't had this problem until recently.

Thanks.

sr98user
10-10-2010, 05:19 PM
I had a static noise (slight.. not very bad) in the background on my Line 1. Voice quality was very good. But Line 2 did not have this problem. You might want to try the other port to see if it has the same problem too.. The same phone and cable would not have the problem on Line 2 for me. As soon as I pick up the phone and press a number, I will start hearing the static noise.

I was working with support and all of a sudden the static noise went away. I am not sure how it went away though. I still think my Line 1 port is little faulty. May be changing the wires few times fixed some loose contact.

I have Road Runner standard (7M down and 512K up) and it is very good.. I don't think you need to upgrade. If your voice is not breaking up then it has nothing to do with your ISP. You might want to try lowering the volume settings on the vPanel and see if it makes a difference.