PDA

View Full Version : Compatible Routers

jjinks
10-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Has anyone successfully used any other routers besides the 3 they sell?
If so, please use this forum to update the tested ones.
EVEN IF THEY DON'T WORK!

- Linksys RTP300:
Doesn't work. It played a message telling me my phone may be in the wrong port. I got this router years ago from Vonage.

If this list gets long enough, I will put together a Matrix of routers tested.

stevech
10-16-2010, 09:21 PM
in the below, who is "they" ? Wouldn't be VoIPo, would it? I thought VoIPo only provided ATAs.

any other routers besides the 3 they sell?

jjinks
10-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Maybe I was unclear.

stevech wrote: the below, who is "they" ?
- EVEN IF THEY DON'T WORK! (they being the router).

stevech wrote: any other routers besides the 3 they sell?
Voipo actually sells 4 routers:
- Linksys PAP2
- Linksys PAP2T
- Linksys RT31P2
- Grandstream HT502
This post is to determine if any other routers "on the market" work and/or don't work.

chpalmer
10-17-2010, 01:29 AM
I have used the RTP300 successfully myself. In fact I use one to this day as an outgoing only with no registration and fax through it...

Dlink 1402s was a complete failure here...

jjinks
10-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Hey chpalmer was it from Vonage?
I wonder if they modified it for their service only.

chpalmer
10-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Yes the RTP300 is an old Vonage ata I unlocked...

:)

holmes4
10-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Not all these devices are routers - the PAP2 isn't, for example.

jjinks
10-17-2010, 09:51 PM
How did you unlock it?
I would love to figure this out because I signed up for the reseller package that comes with 3 numbers but only one adapter. It would help a lot if I could use this RTP300 as well.
Maybe I should star another thread about unlocking the RTP300?

chpalmer
10-17-2010, 10:02 PM
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21123078-Unlock-TUTORIAL-VONAGE-WRTP54GRTP300-WITH-50104

Go through this link...

stevech
10-18-2010, 08:46 PM
If you unlock the ATA and diddle with it, how can you expect the VoIP Tech Support staff to willingly help you?

jjinks
10-18-2010, 08:55 PM
The support staff cannot offer ANY support for any routers or adapters that they don't provide. So this is the only support people have for non-supported routers and adapters.

Do you understand now?

It's just a thread for people to talk about and modify non supported routers. That all!

usa2k
10-19-2010, 04:50 AM
How did you unlock it?
I would love to figure this out because I signed up for the reseller package that comes with 3 numbers but only one adapter. It would help a lot if I could use this RTP300 as well.
Maybe I should star another thread about unlocking the RTP300?

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip is the best forum that I know of for Unlock advice.

jjinks
10-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks USA2K, I will at that one too.

caseydoug
10-22-2010, 03:29 PM
This thread might be more appropriately housed in the BYOD forum: http://forums.voipo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

amki
01-07-2011, 01:01 PM
The support staff cannot offer ANY support for any routers or adapters that they don't provide. So this is the only support people have for non-supported routers and adapters.

Do you understand now?

It's just a thread for people to talk about and modify non supported routers. That all!
This forum is supposed to be for prospective service users, as I understand it, so why is there so much activity by people who are already using the service?

However, that's not really my point. I am disturbed that there was no mention that I encountered in the sales pages stating that you need to buy a router from this company...or, at least, that if you don't you will sacrifice support. Seems like devious tactics to me.

tritch
01-07-2011, 03:40 PM
This forum is supposed to be for prospective service users, as I understand it, so why is there so much activity by people who are already using the service?

However, that's not really my point. I am disturbed that there was no mention that I encountered in the sales pages stating that you need to buy a router from this company...or, at least, that if you don't you will sacrifice support. Seems like devious tactics to me.

There seems to be a misunderstanding. The OP of this thread was referring to other ATA's or SIP devices as opposed to home routers. His wording was confusing to say the least. You are not required to buy any "routers" from Voipo. Voipo ships you a leased ATA for free. Voipo will gladly give you free support for connecting their ATA's to your own router if needed.

You are allowed to connect your personally owned ATA or SIP device (aka BYOD), but Voipo provides limited or no support for these devices as the OP was referring to.

VOIPoCodyH
01-07-2011, 04:45 PM
There seems to be a misunderstanding. The OP of this thread was referring to other ATA's or SIP devices as opposed to home routers. His wording was confusing to say the least. You are not required to buy any "routers" from Voipo. Voipo ships you a leased ATA for free. Voipo will gladly give you free support for connecting their ATA's to your own router if needed.

You are allowed to connect your personally owned ATA or SIP device (aka BYOD), but Voipo provides limited or no support for these devices as the OP was referring to.

Right, we provide one on a free lease basis at no cost to you when you order our residential/small business service.

This was only about users who wanted to use their own instead of ours (possibly because they preferred a different brand/model, etc).

amki
01-08-2011, 10:13 AM

Thank you, tritch and Cody. My total ignorance of VoIP led me astray.

I appreciate your help and will now seriously consider signing up for Voipo.

VOIPoBrandon
01-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Closing this thread as it seems to be a target of some spam bots.