PDA

View Full Version : Long delay after dialing

HerbM
11-04-2010, 07:15 AM
Hi everybody,

I have been really pleased with my Voipo service for the last year +. The only little nagging issue is that it can sometimes take over 30 seconds for a call to start ringing after we have dialed the number. 30 of silence; it's not horrible, just a little annoying.

Any thoughts? I'm on FIOS, using my own DIR-655 router and the Linsys PAP2T.

Thanks,

Herb

usa2k
11-04-2010, 10:17 AM
I'd suggest emailing support.

You might try ending with a # key to speed it up, but if you are dialing normal numbers, that is slow. My wife's work number seems slow, but that is their PBX. The phone never rings because it gets answered by their automation - but the playback message on the PBX can get delayed. Normal numbers do not experience that, so I know in my case its the other end that has that effect.

stevech
11-05-2010, 03:27 PM
A proper dialing plan in the ATA would not burden non-geeks with hitting the # key. The WAF suffers badly if told to remember that the goofy VoIP phone needs the # key.

gls101
11-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Funny thing - I just came to the forums to post a message about something similar.

We just tried four calls to the same number that NEVER connected after over a minute, but we also fairly frequently have calls that don't appear to connect for 30 seconds to a full minute after dialing. My spouse is ready to throw Voipo out the window, and frankly I'm rapidly coming to the same conclusion.

She will make a call to a neighbor, and I'll overhear her say "This $)%I(#O^ phone isn't working again" (while still waiting for the distant phone to ring. Then, she'll immediately get a call back from the neighbor saying "I could hear you, (expletives and all), but you couldn't hear me." Needless to say, at that point she's ready to climb under the desk. Not good for the WAF.

We've submitted tickets on various occasions, and the response from support is that it's a problem in my router. I don't buy that explanation for two reasons: I've actually REPLACED the router for troubleshooting purposes, and it doesn't help. And, I have two other ATA's behind the same router (1 for Nextalarm.com for the alarm system, and one for Gizmo5, and these two ATA's work perfectly. I've actually been able to use the Gizmo phone at the same time that the Voipo phone is not working.)

The problems seem to be getting slowly and progressively worse over time, which also doesn't help with the WAF.

I suspect the time is rapidly approaching for me to start the search again for a VOIP provider that actually can deliver what they promise. I really don't relish the thought after over a year with Voipo, but I need a phone that Just Works (TM).

The Voipo concept is good. Unfortunately, I don't believe it's supported by carrier grade infrastructure that has adequate fault tolerance. So, something happens in the network, and it's not detected in time to make the problem invisible to the user, as it would be in POTS or other fault tolerant networks.

So, the individual user has to decide for him/herself if the level/quality of service is adequate for the task at hand, and I'm rapidly approaching the need to make that decision.

Gary

voipinit
11-09-2010, 07:17 PM
^ I don't know but one sided audio sounds like a router issue. Depending on your ATA you may want to put it in front of your router.

stevech
11-09-2010, 09:28 PM
I began with the VoIPo provided GS ATA ahead of the router. But this exposes the ATA to the Internet's bad guys' attacks. And the passwords for admin and so on are universal and easily leaked.

My router is my main line of defense. Its remote admin is disabled.

usa2k
11-09-2010, 09:35 PM
And the passwords for admin and so on are universal and easily leaked. They are very complex passwords that VOIPo uses, and they are different for each customer. Not sure what "leaked" means?

MisterEd
11-10-2010, 10:35 AM
They are very complex passwords that VOIPo uses, and they are different for each customer. Not sure what "leaked" means?

When I first started with Voipo about a year ago I had asked for the admin password on a phone support call. They gave it to me and I had admin access to my PAP2. Yes, it was definately admin access. It was a "simple" password. Unfortunately (well, probably fortunately :)) I never saved it. It definitely (at that time) wasn't anything complex and individual.

tritch
11-10-2010, 01:49 PM
When I first started with Voipo about a year ago I had asked for the admin password on a phone support call. They gave it to me and I had admin access to my PAP2. Yes, it was definately admin access. It was a "simple" password. Unfortunately (well, probably fortunately :)) I never saved it. It definitely (at that time) wasn't anything complex and individual.

Things may have changed since then.....as VoipoJustin states in this thread:

http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1858

"The administrative password for VOIPo adapters are dynamically generated each provisioning cycle, with a secure alphanumeric string of no less than twelve characters."

tritch
11-10-2010, 02:11 PM
We've submitted tickets on various occasions, and the response from support is that it's a problem in my router. I don't buy that explanation for two reasons: I've actually REPLACED the router for troubleshooting purposes, and it doesn't help. And, I have two other ATA's behind the same router (1 for Nextalarm.com for the alarm system, and one for Gizmo5, and these two ATA's work perfectly. I've actually been able to use the Gizmo phone at the same time that the Voipo phone is not working.)

One-way audio is almost always a firewall port blocking issue. You've changed your router, but this doesn't rule out the possibility that it's still not a firewall/NAT issue. You've also got other ATA's behind your router which could be causing issues with Voipo's ATA. I'm not a proponent of putting the ATA in front of the router, but this a good troubleshooting step to rule out a problem with your router. Just as a temporary measure have you tried this already?

voipinit
11-10-2010, 08:02 PM
I have the HT-502 and don't have any problems. I do realize my network setup is different than most home networks. My HT is behind my router like most but I have no ports forwarded and the router SPI NAT firewall is enabled. I let a STUN server negotiate the necessary ports for VOIP.

Have you let VOIPo configure you're router for you. They are some very talented folks, Brandon is superb at troubleshooting. Let them take a look at your router settings, if you haven't already.