PDA

View Full Version : customers choice of hardware

genxweb
11-05-2010, 11:11 AM
How do you guys deal with customers wanting lets say a linksys pap2 and voipo sending you another device instead since they say they will ship one of the models they support but cant guarantee which.

Does anyone have any good leads for wholesale hardware not from hong kong, to many fakes floating around on ebay.

VOIPoTim
11-05-2010, 11:16 AM
We ship from the general VOIPo inventory that we use for our direct customers. We primarily use refurbished Linksys RT31P2s and Grandstream HT502s.

If you want new hardware instead of refurbished or want to get specific models, here are some vendors we recommend:

http://www.voipdw.com

http://www.voiplink.com

http://www.voipsupply.com

We have considered offering the option for resellers to select new hardware and maybe specific models at a higher price, but there's no way we could offer new hardware at $40 since that's at or below wholesale cost for most devices. Then when you add in packaging and the labor to provision them, that's even more.

Linksys in particular gives practically nothing in terms of volume discounts. We won't be offering PAP2Ts to our customers unless Linksys can start pricing their products in the realm of reality. They are consistently increasing prices and being more difficult to work with and the consensus among many I know in the industry is that Linksys is trying to force their way out of the consumer level ATA market. They're just not being competitive which is why everyone in residential is moving to Grandstream. If we offer new ATAs, they would be Grandstream HT502s.

This is something we're still looking at doing if there is enough interest in being able to opt for new hardware at a higher pricepoint. We're not looking to make a profit on hardware, but we can't lose money either.

Would you guys be interested in higher priced options in addition to the current option for new only (not refurbished) and/or specific models?

genxweb
11-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Tim one other question is if we buy he hardware from you at the price of 40.00 is that ours to keep or are we suppose to get them back to voipo.

VOIPoTim
11-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Tim one other question is if we buy he hardware from you at the price of 40.00 is that ours to keep or are we suppose to get them back to voipo.

If you buy them, they are yours to keep.

The only time hardware needs to be returned to us is when it is provided at no charge (our direct service and the very first no charge reseller ATA). In those cases, we don't charge for the hardware and offer it on a free lease basis where it's essentially factored into the account plan pricing.

So the only reason you'd need to return hardware is if you don't pay for it. If you purchase it and pay for it, it's yours.

GreenLantern
11-05-2010, 07:53 PM
We've used both the Linksys and the Grandstream. The linksys has a 3 port switch built in, versus only a single LAN port on the Grandstream. But the Grandstream is smaller and very nice. Basically, we're happy with both.

As long as we have a working product, price is king. I doubt we'd pay much more for new adaptors. Just my personal point of view.

VOIPoTim
12-29-2010, 02:37 AM
Quick update for everyone. We'll be making the announcement soon, but we've recently signed a large deal with a major Grandstream distributor to start purchasing exclusively Grandstream adapters again.

Starting Jan 1, we'll be sending exclusively Grandstream HT502s out for all reseller orders.

This should help everyone out a lot since it'll always be the same consistent device and will be brand new 99% of the time instead of mostly refurbished/used Linksys products as we have been using.

No price increase is planned.

usa2k
12-29-2010, 06:30 AM
Very cool Tim! And the built-in router for newbies should be a great hardware choice.

http://fah-tool.org/jnk/Grandstream_HT_502_ATA_VoIP_Router_SIP.jpg

GreenLantern
12-29-2010, 06:22 PM
I like it. :)

mrlasvegas
12-31-2010, 07:47 PM
Lucky me. On the last day of the year before the switch to the new adapters, I receive a old refurbished linksys adapter as a new customer with the back of the adapter falling apart (maybe it was the great handling of the box from the USPS). Quick. someone get me some duct tape.

timreichhart
01-02-2011, 07:14 PM
well i think voipo needs support on pap2 v2.

genxweb
01-04-2011, 08:07 AM
I think voipo should keep the auto provision options for the linksys devices as well for customers that have clients still using them. Also they are a more popular choice by those that bring there own in.

usa2k
01-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Autoprovision would have to support hardware they have encouraged Resellers to deploy. Just because they offer mainly one ATA now does not mean your hardware in the field would be at risk for support.

VOIPoTim
01-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Right, the provisioning is not changing. This only applies to devices purchased from us.