PDA

View Full Version : Customers with AT&T DSL

pbxinabox
11-08-2010, 08:39 AM
I have some customers with AT&T and they also have DSL, has anyone worked with anyone getting there number transferred from AT&T with DSL on the number.

AT&T is stating that the service has to be taken down for a week and then reprovisioned and my clients don't want to take a chance in losing their number.

If anybody has any experience with this move, a post would be appreciated.

Cliff

uf_shane
11-08-2010, 08:58 AM
That actually is a pretty accurate statement by ATT... part of the issue is that their DSL account is provisioned to the phone number at the CO(Central Office) and to remove the number means a new number will have to be provisioned to the account...

fcbaia
11-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Perhaps the easiest solution is for them to switch to cable internet to free up the lock on the telephone number. Then, if they still want DSL afterwards, it will have to get provisioned w/o an associated telephone number. Not sure if ATT has that option, but it is available out there.

scott2020
11-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Awhile back before I went cable, I switched from AT&T phone/DSL to dry loop DSL. They created a new account for me with a dummy number for the dry DSL. I connected that up and canceled the DSL on my old number. After I was comfortable with the setup I ported my AT&T phone to Voipo, which canceled my AT&T voice line essentially. It worked out well.

VOIPoTim
11-08-2010, 01:24 PM
One thing to add to this is that it's very very inconsistent between different regions. AT&T does not seem to have a standardized process and how they will handle this situation varies wildly depending on the local office in question.

Best foolproof bet is usually to order a 2nd DSL account then do the DSL disconnect on first one once it's setup and then initiate the port.

Sometimes they are more cooperative. In some AT&T regions, they will still process the port and automatically/seamlessly convert it to dry loop.