PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about Jamaica

stevech
01-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Going to Jamaica tomorrow. Biz trip.
Verizon CDMA is $3/minute there, roaming. Ouch.
I have Skype, assuming hotel has decent Internet.
Wonder if I should (also) take my VoIPo ATA.

VOIPoTim
01-10-2011, 06:54 AM
Check out http://www.voipo.com/intrates.php?search_query=Jamaica&search_type=title&action=Search for rate info.

usa2k
01-10-2011, 06:11 PM
And if you only call home, even cheaper on VOIPo :)
If it were me, I'd give it a shot!

My Brother and his family are there right now (They don't use VoIP)
They won a trip :D

Russell
01-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Going to Jamaica tomorrow. Biz trip.
Verizon CDMA is $3/minute there, roaming. Ouch.
I have Skype, assuming hotel has decent Internet.
Wonder if I should (also) take my VoIPo ATA.

You can use a softphone for VOIPo. What's your goal - to call back to the States? To call locally?

voxabox
01-12-2011, 10:50 PM
went there last year and had no problem using voipo on my cellphone via resort free wifi

stevech
01-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Well, I didn't take the ATA. Too much other stuff.
I did use Skype via the hotel's wired Internet - worked great. $0.02/min, from my laptop. Just made a couple of calls home; so no big deal.
Tried skype on my HTC Android phone connecting via WiFi in the hotel. Not good enough WiFi to be viable.

My original issue was Verizon wanted $3/min for service from their roaming partner.

Next trip, I'll take the ATA.

Russell
01-14-2011, 06:43 AM
Well, I didn't take the ATA. Too much other stuff.
I did use Skype via the hotel's wired Internet - worked great. $0.02/min, from my laptop. Just made a couple of calls home; so no big deal.
Tried skype on my HTC Android phone connecting via WiFi in the hotel. Not good enough WiFi to be viable.

My original issue was Verizon wanted $3/min for service from their roaming partner.

Next trip, I'll take the ATA.

Instead of the ATA, why not try a softphone from your laptop? After all, if you're comfortable using Skype to call home at 2c a minute, I suspect you'll be comfortable using a softphone to do the same for free.

holmes4
01-14-2011, 02:33 PM
I have used Siphon, a free SIP utility for jailbroken iPhones. Usually works well, though on one recent call the person I called stopped being able to hear me. X-Lite is a good free SIP program for Windows PCs.

stevech
01-15-2011, 12:38 AM
Instead of the ATA, why not try a softphone from your laptop? After all, if you're comfortable using Skype to call home at 2c a minute, I suspect you'll be comfortable using a softphone to do the same for free.

I'd like to try a softphone. Does VoIPo permit them? Give out the necessary credentials?

Is there a free/good softphone app for windows or android?

Russell
01-15-2011, 12:23 PM
I'd like to try a softphone. Does VoIPo permit them? Give out the necessary credentials?

Is there a free/good softphone app for windows or android?

Yes. You can get them yourselves from the Control Panel. Search these forums for the various softphone apps mentioned :-).