PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Account solution

mediadude
01-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Hi All,

Here's the story as plain and simple as I can make it: I currently have a VOIP account with another service which has always worked very well on the LAN side of my network without port forwarding or other measures, but has gotten too expensive in terms of value received. I have also added an account with VOIPo, which had some dropped call issues, but those seem to be resolved after moving the adapter to the DMZ of my router (I can't port forward the entire 5004-65000 port range due to other services running on my network).

I would like to eliminate the other VOIP provider, but add another VOIPo account so the wife, teenage daughter, AND I can all be on the phone at the same time. With the "cloned 2nd line" feature, having 2 VOIPo accounts and adapters seems the ideal solution, and still works out to about the same price I was paying for just 1 line with the competition. My question is how do I prevent dropped calls on this 2nd account/unit since my DMZ is already taken? I would consider a different routing configuration (though all adapters would have to be inside the LAN), a different router (currently on a Buffalo WHR-HP-54G w/ stock firmware), an IP phone setup, or whatever would provide the equivalent of 3 phone lines on 2 different numbers for the lowest possible cost. Obviously, a method of making 2 adapters work within my current network config with no additional hardware purchases would be ideal.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

chpalmer
01-16-2011, 10:15 PM
What is your network topography?

Connection type? (DSL, Cable, Fiber, ect..)

What equipment? (Modem, Router, ect..) I see the reference to a Buffalo...

What phone ata?

Do you have an older desktop laying around that you could stuff another NIC into?

mediadude
01-17-2011, 12:44 AM
Network is Comcast Cable Business class, 12/2, via SMC 8014 in semi-bridging mode w/ 1 static IP routed by the Buffalo, all computers (including various server monitoring app boxes and a couple of Windows Media encoders) are static IP's in 192.168.0.xxx range. Using a Grandstream HT502 for the VOIPo connection, and yes, I've an older Dell I could add a NIC to if needed (it's not good for much else - lol). The router is also DD-WRT capable if necessary.

chpalmer
01-17-2011, 01:41 AM
I am gonna suggest you give this a try as a test.

http://www.pfsense.com/

I assume Comcast will give you full bridge mode on that modem? I know their pretty pushy about use of the gateway modem on their commercial accounts...

I use pfSense at several locations. One with three Voipo numbers, one with a Voipo, and two Vonage numbers, and a Verizon Femtocell. Other locations have no phones.

The only thing I have done is to make a firewall rule for the voipo server I use. Ill share my firewall rules with you if you need.

I use two IP's here at my house and have multiple ports forwarded for various company server activity.

My ISP provides me one address via DHCP and one static.

On my WAN port of the router I use DHCP and then have created a VIP port for the static on the same WAN port for the server.

Like a said- just a suggestion. But you might never look back...

Forum there is full of great info on various setups...

mediadude
01-17-2011, 10:30 AM
chpalmer,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into that - might be just the ticket to resolve my issues.

chpalmer
01-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Let me know if you want to know how I did my firewall rules...

Good Luck! :)