PDA

View Full Version : GS ATA/Linksys WRT54GL Static IP

digger16309
01-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Hi all,

I put in a ticket for this but it looks like support is running behind so I'll try here. I have a GS ATA running off a Linksys WRT54GL router, DHCP. I've had trouble in the past with routers renewing leases on ATA boxes and messing up port forwarding. So I want to assign a static IP address to to the ATA.

I flashed the router with dd-wrt.

I've done this once before with a different router and a different ATA and I've forgotten how I did it.

1) How do I get into the ATA web interface?
2) What settings do I need to change in the ATA?
3) What settings so I need to change in the router?

I recognize I could just turn off DHCP but that's a hassle anytime a new wireless device enters my house. And I'd still need to get into the ATA to assign the IP address anyway (I think).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Digger

energyx
01-18-2011, 09:48 AM
With the Grandstream ATA on your network, you should be able to go to http://<ATAipaddress> in a browser. Mine is http://<ATAipaddress>:8080, but I can't remember if I changed it to that port or that was the default. The default password is 123. You can set it static, then in your router change the port rules to match the static.

You can also connect a PC or laptop to the LAN port of the ATA and it will hand out an IP. You can then access the web config by going to http://192.168.2.1.

stevech
01-18-2011, 09:54 PM
You can avoid DD-WRT by using a router that, like many, supports "DHCP Reservations" a.k.a. static DHCP. Here, you tell the router the MAC address of the device (ATA) and pair that with a LAN IP address (outside your DHCP range). When the device does its DHCP request, the router gives that MAC address device the IP address you reserved.

Of course, you need either static IP or DHCP Reservation in order to do port forwarding.
I have a Grandstream ATA from VoIPo and no port forwarding or other special config. for that device which is on the LAN side of my router. Just plug and play. My router was a Linksys 11g, and is now a Cradlepoint MBR900. Neither had port forwarding for the ATA.

digger16309
01-19-2011, 09:20 AM
You can avoid DD-WRT by using a router that, like many, supports "DHCP Reservations" a.k.a. static DHCP.

Um, yes, I could use a router that supports that, but I don't have different routers just laying around my house like some others might. I have one, and now I've successfully flashed it with dd-wrt, I still don't have an idea of HOW exactly to create a "DHCP Reservation" for the ATA. I'm not a tech guru.

VOIPo tech support did respond with how to access the ATA, but that's only one half of it.

Thanks,

Digger

tritch
01-19-2011, 10:56 AM
I did a quick look and see that the WRT54GL does not support DHCP reservation with the stock firmware. I'm not very familiar with dd-wrt, but it does support DHCP reservation. Here's a link with instructions for setup:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Static_DHCP

If this doesn't work, you may have to buy a newer router which supports this feature.

energyx
01-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Set the address on the ATA to a static within your IP network subnet (subnet example 192.168.1.x). Make sure it is outside the DHCP range set in DD-WRT under the DHCP server settings. If the range is 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.140, set it to something like 192.168.1.150.

You want to set a static for the WAN address on the ATA, and plug that WAN port of the ATA into the LAN side of the DD-WRT router. You can then set up port forwarding(UDP 5000-65000) for 192.168.1.150, along with QoS.

Forwarding ports will be preferred to putting the device in the DMZ as it will reserve those ports for the ATA and no other PC or device on your network will be assigned the reserved ports.

I have SIP and RTP as Premium and Express respectively in my QoS settings. I can upload and download at full speed and not break up calls.

digger16309
01-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Set the address on the ATA to a static within your IP network subnet (subnet example 192.168.1.x). Make sure it is outside the DHCP range set in DD-WRT under the DHCP server settings. If the range is 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.140, set it to something like 192.168.1.150.

You want to set a static for the WAN address on the ATA, and plug that WAN port of the ATA into the LAN side of the DD-WRT router. You can then set up port forwarding(UDP 5000-65000) for 192.168.1.150, along with QoS.

That looks exactly like what I was trying to get to. Thank you!

Hawkmeister
01-19-2011, 03:13 PM
You shouldn’t have to change the ATA settings. You can verify that the device is set to DHCP by viewing the ATA’s SYSTEM tab. You will also need to note the HOSTNAME setting. The router’s configuration will assign the same fixed IP you specify based on the MAC address of the ATA. The MAC address of the ATA is found in the INFO tab (in the Product Information section).

I have a Linksys WRT54GS that’s running dd-wrt. I’m assuming the screens are similar.

Go to the SERVICES tab.
Under the STATIC LEASES section click on the ADD button
Enter the MAC address (Each 2 digits are separated by colons, ie XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX) in first field that was found in the ATA’s INFO tab (see above)
Enter a HOSTNAME in the second field (this needs to match the name on the ATA’s SYSTEM tab)
Enter the fixed IP you wish to use in the 3rd field

When done click on Apply Settings then Reboot Router at the bottom of the page.