PDA

View Full Version : SMS Enabled Service

VOIPoTim
01-31-2011, 02:08 PM
IF we were to start offering the ability to receive SMS messages on your VOIPo number, is this something of interest to you?

If so, how would you see using it? Having them show up in control panel? Redirect to e-mail?

Basically would you use SMS and what ideas do you have for how we might incorporate it into our service if we offered it?

Brian
01-31-2011, 04:39 PM
That would be awesome! Email/CP would be good, some type of app (desktop, Android, etc.) would be great too.

TomP
01-31-2011, 04:54 PM
Might be of interest if I could use it to eliminate the text plan for my iPhone. Google Voice pretty much does that already, but it requires me to hand out an extra number (GV) instead of just using the mobile or home (VOIPo) numbers that friends/family already know. If an app exists that could tie into VOIPo for sending & receiving msgs, that might do it.

The ability to send & receive msgs via vPanel would also be useful, for times when I'm in front of the computer. Optional forwarding to email would be a bonus.

Russell
01-31-2011, 08:11 PM
IF we were to start offering the ability to receive SMS messages on your VOIPo number, is this something of interest to you?

If so, how would you see using it? Having them show up in control panel? Redirect to e-mail?

Basically would you use SMS and what ideas do you have for how we might incorporate it into our service if we offered it?

To put it bluntly, if free and meeting certain criteria I'd very definitely use it. I like the Google Voice model - we specify an address and it arrives as email at that address. If you reply from that address it's like the SMS came from the number it was sent to. Ideally, if that address forwarded to multiple addresses replying would still work, but that would be icing on the cake.

If not free, I wouldn't use it :-(.

pflueger41
02-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Yes... would love to have this feature.

dlangley
02-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Another option is to also offer jabber support. this would allow people to pick up their messages from any jabber client via mobile phone, or at home.

Mike_TV
02-03-2011, 12:55 PM
I had this with a previous VOIP provider and it was as nice feature. I would get an SMS whenever someone would call and leave a VM.

It would be nice to get an SMS whenever someone called and/or left a VM. Very handy when you are away from home and can call someone back quickly from your mobile phone.

Russell
02-03-2011, 02:43 PM
I had this with a previous VOIP provider and it was as nice feature. I would get an SMS whenever someone would call and leave a VM.

It would be nice to get an SMS whenever someone called and/or left a VM. Very handy when you are away from home and can call someone back quickly from your mobile phone.

This feature has been there for a long time. This is NOT what Tim is asking about.

caseydoug
02-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Sending to email would be good. Also, forwarding to a different (cell phone) SMS, although that could probably also be done through my cell carrier's email to SMS gateway.

woodcycl
02-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Yes, quite interested. And, forwarding to email would be nice.

lost
02-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Sending to email would be good. Also, forwarding to a different (cell phone) SMS, although that could probably also be done through my cell carrier's email to SMS gateway.

+1.

Please allow at least two email addresses for forwarding so that it's useful for other family members (I could forward to my inbox and sieve re-forward, but that's another hoop to jump).

SMS alerts is so ubiquitous these days from various subscription services. It would be nice to use my home number for bank account alerts, etc.

Mike_TV
02-08-2011, 10:56 AM
This feature has been there for a long time. This is NOT what Tim is asking about.

Ah, ok, re-read the post. Yeah I would have no use for this feature.

VOIPOinTN
02-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Nice, but not the highest item on my wish list.

VOIPOinTN
02-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Nice, but not on the top of my list.

stevech
02-08-2011, 09:46 PM
I'll take eMail rather than SMS
(HTC Android user)

frankd1
02-14-2011, 01:00 AM
I would definitely be interested, depending on what the specifics turn out to be... I've have too many instances of my parents texting my VoipO line, because they can't keep my home and mobile #s straight.

engineercarl
02-14-2011, 03:02 AM
Tim:

I definitely would be interested in this service. Routing the SMS messages from my home phone number to an email is an extra treat, but having them show up on the control panel would be cool too!

Yeah, I'd lay a small fee extra for it.

Carl

duster
02-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Can we accept SMS on our VOIPO service yet ?????????

Russell
02-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Can we accept SMS on our VOIPO service yet ?????????

Remember Tim was trying to gauge the level of interest in this feature. If you have an opinion on how valuable this would be to you and whether you'd be prepared to pay for it I'm sure your feedback would be valuable to him.

gyoung
02-28-2011, 07:08 PM
I'd be interested. I've got an old cell number on prepaid right now just to have it parked somewhere. It'd be easier to have that number ported to a virtual number and still be able to get SMS's sent to it.

ac14461
03-01-2011, 07:45 PM
I will definitely be interested in it. With so many providers in Telco sector, having extra feautures such as SMS features will always add to the value. Will definetely like something like on the lines of google voice, where the SMS can be emailed to/fro from one # to another #. Thanks.

ki4zbo
03-17-2011, 02:47 AM
I can see many benefits for having SMS through the VOIPo's service. Just don't be like AT&T and keep upping the cost every time you get used to it.

zcnkac
03-17-2011, 12:03 PM
I would definitely be interested in this. I would also like the ability to send an SMS from the control panel. Incoming SMS forwarded to e-mail like Google voice will be good.

ThorsDad
09-27-2011, 02:37 PM
I found this thread while searching to see if this feature was available. I would definitely use it. I would like to have the messages available in my Control Panel along with the option to have them forwarded to my email.