PDA

View Full Version : New User with a question

jst1960
02-05-2011, 05:46 PM
I’m new to Voipo and also new to VoIP. I received my ATA in the mail yesterday and I hooked it up today to try it out. It’s a Grandstream HT502 connected behind my Linksys WRT54GL. I ran a patch cable from my router to the wan port on the ATA. I assume this would be correct? I’m having Voipo port my number over and received an email stating that it should take place February 10. Upon trying out Voipo today, I called my cell phone and it showed the incoming call coming from my current number that I’m waiting to be ported over. I thought that maybe the port over had already taken place, but when I called my current number from my cell phone, I got nothing. I then called the temporary virtual number given to me to use until my port over is complete, from my cell and my home phone worked just fine. Am I missing something here, or is this normal? I guess I should just wait until I receive notification that the port over has taken place, before I get to deep into all of this, but I wanted to hook it up to be sure it worked.

Sorry for my first post being so long and thanks for any feedback!

Steve

wthart
02-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Steve-

That is normal until the port is complete. Your outgoing calls will show the CID of the # being ported; but, the # won't ring through on incoming calls until the port is complete.

Good luck,

Tyler

Russell
02-05-2011, 08:44 PM
I'll confirm what Tyler says - all normal. And, Steve, you've done nothing wrong by hooking up the hardware - absolutely no reason to wait for the port. You're paying for the service and might as well enjoy it.

jst1960
02-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Thank you both very much, I appreciate the help!