PDA

View Full Version : Silly Question but...

BarbJaw
02-09-2011, 12:51 AM
Its been 8 years since I last bought a wireless home handset. (Yes, mine have really lasted that long.)

I'm wondering if any of the handsets on the market that are wireless can notify me (like a blinking light on the phone) if I have a new voicemail on the VoipO server that is waiting to be heard through 123 or voipo.com

I have this feature at work that my work phone on my desk will blink red forever (but I want this at my home phone) that I have a new voicemail unless I listen to it or mark it read on our intarnet and I can access my other voicemails on our corporate intarnet when I'm on the road through the VPN.

stevech
02-09-2011, 12:57 AM
yes, I believe that most all cordless phones, e.g., DECT 6, have a message waiting light on the handset. I prefer Panasonic's phones and use them with VoIPo, with message waiting.

You company VPN VoIP would be independent, of course.

holmes4
02-09-2011, 07:49 PM
I have a standalone Caller ID box (it speaks the ID) that flashes when there's a VOIPo voicemail. As stevech says, many Panasonic cordless phones (though not mine) will do this too.

BarbJaw
02-09-2011, 10:34 PM
So basically any phones on the market that are based on DECT 6 protocol will tell you in some form if their is a new voicemail on the VoipO server?

stevech
02-09-2011, 11:30 PM
DECT 6 doesn't assure that the handset has a message waiting light. But I'll guess that the majority do, except for the super cheapies.

The light (LED) is often on the top edge where it can be seen at a distance. And the display screen on the handset probably displays message waiting as text or a graphical icon.

The message waiting scheme is well standardized for all phone systems. The phone line from the wall, and the VoIP ATA to which a phone is connected - passes message waiting on/off data messages. A message is sent to turn the light on/off, by VoIPo or by the phone company's office in the case of POTS wall jacks. The POTS systems often repeat the light on/off messages a few times an hour. This allows a phone to be powered-on and "catch up" with the status. I don't know if VoIP systems repeat like this. I also guess that the better phones "remember" the light status across a power off/on.

lost
02-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Yes, most cordless can, regardless of DECT.

No, DECT 6 doesn't define VMI capability, so just because it's DECT doesn't mean it has that feature. Just check the phone manual (usually available online) and see if it has VMI (voice mail indicator) light. The phone line gives a stutter tone if there is a VM and the phone would turn on the VMI. Some phone even has a dedicated, programmable VM button.

I love my Philips SE 659. It's a 2-line DECT 6 phone with 4 handsets and base speakerphone. Got it for $140 from eBay more than a year go.

usa2k
02-10-2011, 05:38 PM
FWIW: Uniden phones are often unable to provide the Visual Message Waiting indicator if they have a built-in answering machine. I use a two line Uniden that lacks an answering machine feature, and works great with VOIPo.

stevech
02-10-2011, 06:46 PM
My Panasonic KX-TGA740 DECTs have VMI light & answering machine. Nice large LCD too.

I've tried several brands of cordless over the years and always go back to Panasonic. Some like V-tech were so bad I tossed them while new. Also one China-special branded as GE.