PDA

View Full Version : static IP assignment question

jst1960
02-17-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm a new user and have had the service for a little over a week now with no problems, until tonight. Fast busy on dialing out and no ring on incoming calls. A reboot of the ATA did not help, but rebooting modem, router and ATA did the trick. I have browsed the forum here and it looks like this is a common issue resolved by assigning a static IP to the ATA and forwarding ports 5004-65000. I have looked at the router setup and I think I can set the port forwarding with no problem, but how does one go about assigning a static IP to the ATA? I'm running a Linksys WRT54GL with DHCP handing out IP addresses.

Thanks for any help!
Steve

tritch
02-17-2011, 08:29 PM
A quick Google search indicates your router lacks the ability to assign static IP's using the OEM firmware. Unless you are willing to try dd-wrt or Tomato firmware you are limited to only one option below.

I'm assuming you have admin access to the WAN settings in your ATA....

Log into your ATA and turn off DHCP on the WAN port of the ATA and select static IP instead. Assign the same subnet and gateway settings for your network and make sure you assign a static IP address outside of your router's DHCP IP pool range.

Example:
Your router's DHCP address pool range is 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway of 192.168.1.1

On the ATA, turn off DHCP to the WAN port and apply a static IP like this:

192.168.1.151 (IP outside your router's pool)
255.255.255.0 (subnet mask)
192.168.1.1 (gateway)

Then log into your router and forward the UDP port range to this static IP.

jst1960
02-17-2011, 08:35 PM
tritch,
Thank you for this very helpful information. My router is stock by the way.
I too would assume I have admin access, but how do I get into the ATA to make the changes?

tritch
02-17-2011, 09:03 PM
You are not going to have full admin access to the ATA, but hopefully it will allow you access to the WAN settings of the ATA. If not, just jot down the static IP, subnet mask and gateway settings that you wish to apply and then contact the support group at Voipo and they should be able to make these changes for you in the ATA.

To log into your ATA, you first need to know the IP address that your router assigned the ATA. So, log into your router and see what IP the router assigned it, then open your browser and type in that IP address to access the ATA. If it asks for username and password, I'm not sure what that might be for your model of ATA, but if needed the support group should be able to provide you the non-admin access credentials if requested.

If you provide the model of your ATA, there are those on the forum that might be able to give you the username and password needed for "user" access.

tritch
02-17-2011, 09:10 PM
jst1960, for some reason my posts are being erratically blocked by some "moderator" setting on this forum. I will send you a PM instead.

jennyk
03-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Were troubleshooting a Lifesize unit connected to a Cisco 3750 router. When the Lifesize is configured for DHCP, it gets an IP address and the MAC address is known in the routers table. When the Lifesize is configured with a static IP address same mask and gateway as assigned when DHCP, the MAC address is not known in the routers table and PINGs from the network to the IP address fail. Lifesize moved to another location with another static IP address and it is fine.

Any ideas?