PDA

View Full Version : Distinctive Ring Tone 5 = Incoming Call Problem

lost
02-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Just wanted to share that my incoming call issue (http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=2792) was due to setting Distinctive Ring Tone to 5 for calls from my cell phone.

The issue: incoming calls wouldn't ring or connect. The phone would detect it very briefly as announced by the blinking new-call light and CID would list it as unknown. The caller hears it ringing until it gets to VM. So, it seemed the call was dropped on my end after the first ring.

Now, ring tone 5 is a few short bursts. I had set it for months and it used to work fine until recently. And during the issue, we had no incoming calls from other numbers and I never bothered testing from other cell phones we have.

Until I turned everything off in the control panel, including cycling FXS port disabled and enabled (which I had initiallly thought to be the cause). It rang! When I put everything back, including the custom ring tone, it stopped ringing. Deleting or changing the ring tone would make it ring again -> problem identified. Of course, if I had tested from another cell phone, I would solved this sooner, but I never thought of doing that cause all four of our cell phones are with the same provider.

Took four days, but I'm glad it's working again.

Tim, CS should have a script that includes TURNING OFF ALL FEATURES on the control panel at the start of troubleshooting. Maybe as part of the UI design, you can have the programmer create a backup and restore settings feature.