PDA

View Full Version : Hookup Made Easy

PhoneBillCrazy
01-01-2011, 10:43 AM
I've read the Voip Hookup thread but it was a little over my head. Not a techy geek!

What kind of connection is plugged into my equipment at home?

I have a Tel 1 and a Tel 2 on my Cable Modem (Tel 1 is currently used now by my Digital Phone Service from local cable) and I have 4 Ethernet slots on my home wireless router (only Slot 1 is used for a TV).

Which one do I use when my Voipo hardware arrives?
Is it truly "Plug-n-Play"?

This sounds too good to be true and fishy like MajicJack, but the presentation on the Voipo site is much more professional and service sounds outstanding.

Please help. I need to stop the bleeding and start saving money!

usa2k
01-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Your Ethernet ports on your modem tell me you likely have a 4 port built-in router.

VOIPo sends you an Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA)

The VOIPo ATA plugs into one of these four RJ45 ports (ATA WAN port)
(A bit bigger than a phone jack port.)
The phone can plug into either phone jack on the ATA
(If you have two phones they can each use a port so you can have two separate outgoing calls at the same time.)

You can talk after the ATA has booted and successfully been provided an Internet address from your modem/router.

EDIT: It is mostly plug and play if you ISP is typical.

VOIPo support via chat or phone could likely walk you through the hook-up.

PhoneBillCrazy
01-01-2011, 03:07 PM
I have no WAN port on my Time Warner Cable Modem or my Cisco Valet Plus Wireless Hotspot . Tel 1, Tel 2, USB and Ethernet only on the Modem. 4 ethernet ports on the Valet.

fisamo
01-01-2011, 06:51 PM
When you get the Voipo equipment, you will have two options:
1. Connect the Voipo equipment to one of the LAN (ethernet) ports on your router. Ideally, your service will work perfectly in this configuration, but the real world often differs. :( (I operate this way with no troubles, but most of the threads complaining of problems are from users using this configuration.)

2. Disconnect your router from the "Ethernet" port on your modem. Connect the "WAN" port of the Voipo equipment to the cable modem's Ethernet port, and connect the "LAN" port of the Voipo equipment to the router's "WAN" port. Move the "Tel 1" cord from the Cable modem to the "Tel 1" (or "Line 1") port of the Voipo equipment. Now, for the crucial step: Unplug the cable modem, router, and Voipo equipment for at least 30 sec. Reconnect to power in the following order: Cable modem, Voipo box, Router. Everything should work at this point.

Option 1 gives you more flexibility in setting up your network and may be important if you run any "special services" over the internet. (I don't mean 'subscriber' services like Netflix, problems might arise with operating servers on your home network or inbound VPN connections.) It sounds like Option 2 will work well for you. If you have any troubles with that configuration, post back, and we'll walk you through things.

stevech
01-02-2011, 12:23 AM
re (2), beware that the VoIP ATA is fully exposed to the Internet unlike (1).

VOIPoDanielC
01-06-2011, 11:14 AM
re (2), beware that the VoIP ATA is fully exposed to the Internet unlike (1).

It's not that much of a security concern for our ATAs to be facing the Internet publicly.

burris
01-06-2011, 11:22 AM
It's not that much of a security concern for our ATAs to be facing the Internet publicly.

Why do you think this is true?

VOIPoDanielC
01-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Why do you think this is true?

They don't really have many services that can be exploited. If it's a HT502, change your default password if WAN access is enabled. Even if someone gets access to it via HTTP, they can't really do much damage to it. If you have another router that you can place behind it, all of the security for your computers would be handled by the second router.

One of the worst things that could happen is that we have to reprovision it if someone removes the provisioning settings.